Where do we come from

3 Likes

There’s a lot of room there :slight_smile: I don’t know. They’re the guys who do the science. I’ll wait for any results and assess as best as I can.

At the very least, I don’t think the arrogance toward people of faith by scientists is warranted given the crazy shit many of them put forward as “science.”

A lot going on there too. I’ll agree that your garden-variety religious belief certainly doesn’t warrant an arrogant response, but sometimes gets it. I chat with Christian scientists (the degree holding type) a bit and they complain about this kind of thing a lot. The thing is though that beliefs can inform action, and sometimes actions can be a problem. Also, I’m not sure how much crazy shit “many” scientists are really coming up with. In general science has come up with a lot of good shit too. When crazy shit conflicts with observed fact, conflict may well be reasonable.

Let’s all be honest, nobody knows these answers and it’s quite possible we will never know (well from my point of view, I believe that to be more than just “quite possible”- I believe that multiverse and other speculative theories will always be in principle unprovable).

Maybe. Knowledge of string theory seems more potentially attainable to me. They’re just theories though, and will surely remain regarded as such until some kind of evidence can be demonstrated. I’m pretty unconcerned that they’re going to have some kind of spillover effect–not really something that can be said of any kind of crazy shit. Who knows, the guys with the big brains and the science degrees may just be onto something. I wouldn’t put it past them.

I feel everyone is getting bored with this thread for now so let me just say that I wasn’t taking issue with garden-variety scientists (:grinning:), only those that deal with the issue of the origin of the universe (and of course only a portion of those- Vilenkin I respect greatly and he is an atheist, but at least he has the intellectual honestly to point out that great mysteries remain when it comes to the beginning of the universe). As a matter of fact, I love science, physics, cosmology. On that note, here’s something else I shared on fb some time ago:

Nearly one hundred and fifty years ago (on January 1, 1865), Clerk Maxwell published his paper “A Dynamical Theory of the Electromagnetic Field.” In it, he stated that, “[t]his velocity (of a magnetic disturbance propagated through a non-conducting field) is so nearly that of light, that it seems we have strong reason to conclude that light itself (including radiant heat, and other radiations if any) is an electromagnetic disturbance in the form of waves propagated through the electromagnetic field according to electromagnet laws.” In other words, light is an electromagnetic wave!

By showing that the science of light and optics is merely a branch of electromagnetism, Maxwell achieved what some regard as the second great unification in physics (the first being Newton’s unification of terrestrial and celestial mechanics). Nobel Prize winning physicist Richard Feynman wrote of Maxwell and his work related to his equations that, “[t]he American Civil War will pale into provincial insignificance in comparison with this important scientific event of the same decade.”

maxwell

1 Like

Maxwell’s equations make my head hurt; anybody who can imagine the physical meaning of the curl operator is a better man than me. And yet, understanding the behaviour of electromagnetic fields is a trivial problem compared to comprehending the meaning and origin of the universe. I don’t rate humanity’s chances of ever getting close to the solution.

2 Likes

Partial derivatives, I believe. Once upon a time, I could do something with those. Never really understood what it all meant, though.

I gave it a better read last night. Interesting stuff!

1 Like

Nah, I can cope with partial derivatives. Barely. Anything beyond that is where my math brain slinks off into a corner, whimpering.

1 Like

Perhaps a more important question would be , “Where are we going”?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3ha18O1dAI

3 Likes
1 Like