Where do Westerners live in Tw?

[quote=“xiaojuan”]
If you need to travel out of Taiwan so frequently, I’m not really sure why you’d leave Taoyuan. [/quote]

You’ve obviously never had to put up with the wonderful city of Taoyuan. Blech. :barf:

It’s always cloudy up in Alishan. I didn’t even know the region had mountains until my last visit.[/quote]

Well if you are not seeing the mountains for the clouds, it’s because those clouds usually have a very low ceiling.
Also the clouds build up on the western plains where they meet the sharp incline of the mountains.
Once you drive up the mountains and clear around 500m then you will be above that cloud range, which isn’t actually over Alishan itself.[/quote]

+1. you really live on Alishan? :notworthy:

got a sat dish on alishan? lol

[quote=“urodacus”][quote=“xiaojuan”]
If you need to travel out of Taiwan so frequently, I’m not really sure why you’d leave Taoyuan. [/quote]

You’ve obviously never had to put up with the wonderful city of Taoyuan. Blech. :barf:[/quote]

Actually, it was my first city, and I lived there for a year before I moved. It might’ve been a bland and ghetto city, but it was definitely more central than Kaohsiung. Taipei city and the airport are half an hour away, and most other places are within an hour an a half by train. Traveling from there is certainly cheaper and more convenient. From Kaohsiung, you’ve only got Tainan, and everything else is at least an hour and half away, and most of those places aren’t even accessible by train. If you wanted to escape Taoyuan, at least it was far more feasible than trying to escape Kaohsiung.

Also, I don’t recall the people in Taoyuan being nearly as self-absorbed and lawless as the people here. Looking back, I would’ve preferred to stay there.

[quote=“xiaojuan”][quote=“urodacus”][quote=“xiaojuan”]

You’ve obviously never had to put up with the wonderful city of Taoyuan. Blech. :barf:[/quote]

Actually, it was my first city, and I lived there for a year before I moved. It might’ve been a bland and ghetto city, but it was definitely more central than Kaohsiung. Taipei city and the airport are half an hour away, and most other places are within an hour an a half by train. Traveling from there is certainly cheaper and more convenient. From Kaohsiung, you’ve only got Tainan, and everything else is at least an hour and half away, and most of those places aren’t even accessible by train. If you wanted to escape Taoyuan, at least it was far more feasible than trying to escape Kaohsiung.

Also, I don’t recall the people in Taoyuan being nearly as self-absorbed and lawless as the people here. Looking back, I would’ve preferred to stay there.[/quote]

fair enough, but Taipei is so much more liveable than Taoyuan. Plus, it’s got mountains.

[quote=“urodacus”][quote=“xiaojuan”][quote=“urodacus”][quote=“xiaojuan”]

Also, I don’t recall the people in Taoyuan being nearly as self-absorbed and lawless as the people here. Looking back, I would’ve preferred to stay there.[/quote]

fair enough, but Taipei is so much more liveable than Taoyuan. Plus, it’s got mountains.[/quote]

I’m certainly not arguing with that as I don’t think there’s much contest between Taipei and the rest of the country. I was just making the comparison between Taoyuan and Kaohsiung.

[quote=“catfish13”]People live outside Taibeiguo? Who’d want to live anywhere else but Taibeiguo?

Haha, just kidding. Taichung apparently is a lot more sunny than Taipei, although I heard local gang activities are up and crime rates are climbing pretty high as well.[/quote]

There’s no trouble in Taichung, one of the safest places you could ever live.

It’s always cloudy up in Alishan. I didn’t even know the region had mountains until my last visit.[/quote]

Well if you are not seeing the mountains for the clouds, it’s because those clouds usually have a very low ceiling.
Also the clouds build up on the western plains where they meet the sharp incline of the mountains.
Once you drive up the mountains and clear around 500m then you will be above that cloud range, which isn’t actually over Alishan itself.[/quote]

Irony my friend. :wink:

[quote=“headhonchoII”][quote=“catfish13”]People live outside Taibeiguo? Who’d want to live anywhere else but Taibeiguo?

Haha, just kidding. Taichung apparently is a lot more sunny than Taipei, although I heard local gang activities are up and crime rates are climbing pretty high as well.[/quote]

There’s no trouble in Taichung, one of the safest places you could ever live.[/quote]

Especially now that I have left.

Sure Taipei City is far ahead in many respects compared to other cities in Taiwan, was there recently and it’s improved leaps and bounds. The problem is the expense, rent/mortgage, car parking…it’s steep. You want to be earning quite a bit to justify living in Taipei, otherwise how can you save any money?

That’s why many people are choosing to live in Taipei County/Taoyuan City/Taoyuan County. Taoyuan isn’t bad if you have a car, it’s quick into Taipei, to the airport, to Hsinchu etc. Actually as another poster said it’s only 30 mins into Taipei from Taoyuan, it would be nothing in a Western country.

Taichung is a pretty good option between the weather, cost of living and convenience. If you really travel a lot it would still be better to live a bit closer to airport, I would choose Taoyuan area because you can zip into Taipei, it’s close to Taoyuan and Songshan airport and it’s pretty cheap. Taichung is a bit lacking in activities and surrounding scenery but it’s not bad as cities in Taiwan go…but as usual it is a bright sunny day outside…Autumn and Winter is nice here. It’s amazing how when you get past Sanyi in Miaoli County it’s almost always sunny although it could be cloudy or raining up North.

Irony my friend. :wink:[/quote]

Pah everybody knows they have oceans up there in Alishan…everytime I go there I look for it but haven’t found it yet.

Btw, it’s sunny today in Taipei. I guess I was wrong about that.

where do westerners live in taiwan? uhm … at home?

It’s Taipei. Safer to say “It’s sunny right now.” Somehow the rain up here (in Zhonghe) seems to be keyed to my trying to leave the office.

gollum, gollum

It’s Taipei. Safer to say “It’s sunny right now.” Somehow the rain up here (in Zhonghe) seems to be keyed to my trying to leave the office.

gollum, gollum[/quote]

Yeah, this isn’t as much fun as your Who’s Your Favourite Cartoon Character thread.

Wtf, it really rained in the west? I rode up to Makong from Xindian this afternoon and it was blue skies the whole way. I nearly fainted from all the UV rays.

Rats, we got a new atoga on the block. That means I have to dress up before going out. Double rats!

porque? Are you not asian? Then he cant tell u apart from any other ladies there right? Unless u want to make a good personal impression? :stuck_out_tongue:

Atogas recognize other atogas, I´m afraid. And I feel self-conscious, that´s all, furriners are more expressive, and ocassionally I get the eyebrows reach the hairline look. My neighbors dress up nicely compared to me when I walk the dogs or run errands: jammies, housework clothes, no bra…

Wonder if he knows we´re scheduled for the wreckball.

Maybe it’s :howyoudoin: and not :eh:.

I wouldn’t worry so much. After a while, all of those foreigners start to look alike. :whistle:

[quote=“Icon”]Atogas recognize other atogas, I´m afraid. And I feel self-conscious, that´s all, foreigners are more expressive, and ocassionally I get the eyebrows reach the hairline look. My neighbors dress up nicely compared to me when I walk the dogs or run errands: jammies, housework clothes, no bra…

Wonder if he knows we´re scheduled for the wreckball.[/quote]
Funny thing. I’ve read this post several times and all I can get out of it is “no bra”… :ponder: