Where do you/don't you watch the FIFA WorldCup'06

FIFA World Championship Football is an event watched by the larger majority of people on this planet.
Where do you watch? At home or do you go out to one of the many bars that show the games? Why?

Do you go to the Tavern because that’s The known sportsbar or do you go to Carnegies because they have the biggest screen? Do you go to 17 sportsbar or maybe the Brass Monkey or O’Ginny’s because it’s your favourite hang out, or do you like to go to a local like the Circle bar in YongHer? Maybe you like the small intimacy of the SpaceMan or do you prefer s’where new like DeLuxe, Capone’s or BLISS?

There may also be a place that you definitely don’t wanna go for the games because… (?)

I’ve already heard comments from people escaping bars because the crowd was all Taiwanese who (with all respect) cheered at all the wrong moments, or ‘they don’t have satellite and I can’t stand the commercials on tv’…

There have also been compliments about bars that are doing things well…

This may also be an opportunity for all the bars who show the games, to explain why they think they are worth coming to…(if that is allowed on this forum???

What are your fav’s and what are your experiences?

Personally my priorities are (for any games, not just the world cup)

Access to beer without having to wait during the game.

Not having to queue to go to the toilet.

Being able to stand and watch the game without someone bumping into me every 3 seconds.

That everyone in the bar is there to watch the game, or at least that those who are not intersted don’t interfere with my viewing of the game.

Have a decent atmosphere, preferably without some drunk shouting all the time like on Saturday :blush: [/list]

i am watching at home. brass monkey is the only place that feels like a football watching pub, so its where i will be going for the finals

Have you tried JB’s? That’s more of an “English pub” environment than any of the others and they have satellite broadcasting. And Belhaven stout! :wink:

Does anybody know if Sweden vs. Paraguay is shown on the local TV channels (which one?) or at any of the sports bars?
I have some business partner coming in from Sweden and they don’t want to miss it …

I’ve only heard of JBs recently, does anyone have a map (in pinyin)? Or should I just search for this?

I usually watch all my sport at the Tavern because the food is great and I like the TavernCaptain, and they have nice beer but it was too queued up on Saturday so I watched one game (England) at My Other Place which nw has a shiny new TV on the wall where the projector screen used to be, and I watched Australia last night at home on channel 38. I kind of plan to sneak back to MOP on Thursday but only because I know the barmaids will spoil me (it’s my birthday).

Had thought about Brass Monkey, and was intrigued to learn that Carnegies had a big screen. What happens on ladies night?

Oh this might all be moot because after throwing up on one of our cushions on Saturday night when I got home I may not be allowed to watch anywhere but at home. :help:

Have you tried JB’s? That’s more of an “English pub” environment than any of the others and they have satellite broadcasting. And Belhaven stout! :wink:[/quote]

Really? Hmmm coming from you that is indeed a recommendation I shall have to try.

They have a rotating banner ad on this site that has the directions and a map, but anyway, if you exit the Taipower Building MRT stop at exit 4 on the green line and walk down Shida Rd on the same side of the street, JB’s is about 50 yards down. Downstairs looks like a restaurant, not a bar, but upstairs its a nice dark-wood English-style pub. Really excellent food, too.
There’s a JB’s thread in the bars and restaurants forum.

[quote=“Rascal”]Does anybody know if Sweden vs. Paraguay is shown on the local TV channels (which one?) or at any of the sports bars?
I have some business partner coming in from Sweden and they don’t want to miss it …[/quote]

Check here Rascal:
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … highlight=

[quote=“Rascal”]Does anybody know if Sweden vs. Paraguay is shown on the local TV channels (which one?) or at any of the sports bars?
I have some business partner coming in from Sweden and they don’t want to miss it …[/quote]

Sweden vs Paraguay is a late late game - 3 o’ clock on Friday morning. It’s on cable TV (MUCH - channel 38) but only with Chinese commentary and annoying adverts in the middle of the game. The Tavern is showing all the games, as are the Brass Monkey, Carnegies and Bliss, I think. All these places should have English commentary.

Thanks irishstu and Taffy. :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Sweden vs Paraquay is on the night from mon19 to tue20 at 03:00 hrs in the morning…
We show it on satellite with English commentary (www.blisstaipei.com)

Surely other bars will show it too but check first coz not all bars stay open for the latelate games…

The ONLY place…? Really? Is that our well-researched finding…?
(I mean, you are watching from home…)

[quote=“Mugatu”]Personally my priorities are (for any games, not just the world cup)

Being able to stand and watch the game without someone bumping into me every 3 seconds.

That everyone in the bar is there to watch the game, or at least that those who are not intersted don’t interfere with my viewing of the game.

Have a decent atmosphere, preferably without some drunk shouting all the time like on Saturday :blush: [/list][/quote]

Sounds like the criteria…Does this place exist? Have you found it?

(I mean, you are watching from home…)[/quote]

not that you have a vested interest in such things… but in
MY
experience and according to
MY
tastes, yes, it is the ONLy place.

your attitude and tone of your post hardly makes me want to visit bliss anytime soon.

[quote=“BeInBliss”][quote=“Mugatu”]Personally my priorities are (for any games, not just the world cup)

Have a decent atmosphere, preferably without some drunk shouting all the time like on Saturday :blush: [/list][/quote]

Sounds like the criteria…Does this place exist? Have you found it?[/quote]

No, not exactly. We had a party at a bar in Yong He for the first England game, that was great - but it was a Saturday night and I’m not sure the turn out will match it tomorrow.

Are you suggesting I come to Bliss to watch the games? I figured all the (major) pubs would be rammed full of semi-watchers for the England games that’s why I didn’t want to go there in the first place, but could change my mind.

[quote=“Mugatu”]

Are you suggesting I come to Bliss to watch the games? I figured all the (major) pubs would be rammed full of semi-watchers for the England games that’s why I didn’t want to go there in the first place, but could change my mind.[/quote]

…haha…of course you are more than welcome… depends on what you want though…sounds like JB’s would be a good choice to watch the England games… have never been there though…
The Dutch and most Brasilians watch their games in BLISS and turn the place upside down… however we have 3 big screens and a tv and we have not been in a position yet where people couldn’t comfortably watch…we’ve had great times…I think watching in a bar requires a fun atmosphere…
Come check us out…if you don’t like it you can allways walk to Carnegies in 10 and Tavern in 15 minutes during half time break…haha…

(I mean, you are watching from home…)[/quote]

not that you have a vested interest in such things… but in
MY
experience and according to
MY
tastes, yes, it is the ONLy place.

your attitude and tone of your post hardly makes me want to visit bliss anytime soon.[/quote]

That’s interesting… there was the possibility of you taking offense and you did… sorry Amigo, no harm intended… just some sarcasm… was wondering how many bars you’ve ‘experienced’ or heard of 1st hand for big football events to form your ‘only’ opinion… it does all come down to taste, but how wide is your taste range?

well i have been to most ‘western pubs/bars’ in taipei and based MY opinion accordingly. its amazing how the attitude of staff shapes ones opinions of such places

Don’t worry about it…we can’t all be in the right place at the right time all the time…

Let’s pick up the thread…

Took the night off yesterday and wanted to go s’where for a good meal and not miss any football… off to Capone’s to check it out… both food and ‘watchability’…
The Minestroni and the Carpaccio are highly recomendable to my taste…but this is not a “how’s the food” thread, so I’ll stick to my football findings…

They have a big screen in front of the stage and 3 plasma screens (is that what you call them?) in strategic places… good visibility…the house was almost full, 95% locals sitting at their tables; some watching, some not… most of the football atmosphere is created by the little flags of all the participating countries all over the shop… that and the schedule on every table is a nice touch…
It’s watching in a big restaurant… it all comes down to ‘taste’… people have different tastes, that’s why there are many flavours… :slight_smile: