Where in the world would u like to live, apart from Taiwan or ur home country?

IamtheWalrus has a thread about leaving San Francisco to come and live in Taiwan. :shock: Each to his own.
I’ve often thought about leaving Taiwan to go live somewhere else. I don’t fancy going back to England all that much. I’d like to try somewhere else, but question is where?

I think the best places to live would be SF, Vancouver, somewhere in NZ (don’t worry Bassman, I won’t be showing up on your doorstep with family in tow!), possibly Italy.

I’m just daydreaming here so no need to get bogged down with technicalities like immigration laws etc. So what do you think? What’s wrong with my suggested locations above. I’ve never actually been to any of them but they SEEM great places to live. Where would you live?

Majorca

If it’s good enough for Robert Graves, it’s good enough for me.

Barcelona or Rome.

1 Like

Hey Spack, you’re welcome on my doorstep anytime. Just the doorstep, you can’t come inside :wink:

Me, hmmmm… I like Oregon. I really like a little place near where they filmed Free Willy. Coos Bay. coosbay.org/

It’s way out in the country. They go bear hunting. There are snakes. The people are so friendly.

I spent a couple of weeks there and really like the place.

Cambria, California

San Francisco is a great city. Except for the price of realty. From today’s Chronicle:

1BD/1.5BA, $465K

The East Bay’s equally overpriced, but that’s probably where I’ll head when I leave Taiwan.

Oregon is beautiful too, but Coos Bay might be a little wet and remote. It rains in the Bay Area as it does in Coos Bay, but the temperatures are usually warmer.

I’ve also thought NZ must be nice. . . or maybe some where on the Mediterannean. . . or Switzerland. . . Scandanavia. . . or maybe Thailand (if I can’t save up enough for the others).

Gilligans’s Island. Lots of adventure and whacky characters showing up every week.

Cabo San Lucas, or thereabouts, in Baja California, Mexico.

Chou

Or here warkworthnz.co.nz/ I have considered retiring in Warkworth, just north of Auckland

I’ve wondered why anyone who gets super rich in Taiwan (such as Morris Chang, etc) would retire here. But I guess there are worse places to be reluctant to leave.

NORILSK, Russia, Jan. 22

Vancouver does seem nice, but too many Canadians for my liking :wink: So if it can’t be my home country of NZ, I might well choose Melbourne - Aussie culture’s much the same as Kiwi, the standard of living’s a bit higher, I’ve got a couple fo mates there, and it’s supposed to be a fantastic city (a lot like Wellington, but much bigger, my friend’s say). I’ll know more after I visit (next month).

Brian

Manhattan, if $ is not an issue. Taipei will make do for now.

New Zealand, Yunnan, and Vietnam would be high up on my list.

how about germany? :smiley:
maybe not the most interressing plance to make holidays, but a good place to live :slight_smile:

I dont want to stay all the time at one place to I wouldn’t immigrate to another country
If I’d have the money I want to have a house in good old germany and in jamaica, australia, california and maybe thailand %)

What, no mention of Thailand? :shock:

New Zealand, living among the kakapos. Or perhaps a hut in an Irish peat bog.

Toronto or Montreal. Canada’s a great place except for the brutal winters.

New Z, Australia, Singapore, and Vegas! :smiling_imp:

Lived in Taiwan (Twice)
Lived in Thailand
Lived in Japan (Okinawa)
Lived in Germany
Been to Vietnam
Been to the Netherlands
Been to Belgium
Been to France
Been to Luxembourg
Been to Spain
Been to Austria
Been to Switzerland
I live in Florida
Can’t beat the USA

I’d say Portugal 3+ km away from the touristy spots.

Apart from that, the Danish countryside somewhere.

If that fails, then Thailand or similar.

All of the ones above would suit me best when/if I retire.

On the coast in Central Queensland. Somewhere close to my Dad’s place so we can go fishing and play golf together.

If I’m rich enough, I’ll retire to San Diego, California. Easy access to Mexico, Arizona, and the rest of California.

If I’m not so rich, I’ll build a mountain cabin in northern Arizona, near Flagstaff. Incredible beauty there.

I like Europe and most of Asia, but there’s no place like home.