Where in the world would u like to live, apart from Taiwan or ur home country?

Countries and cities I have lived more than one year in:

Singapore, Singapore
Taipei, Taiwan
Brisbane, Australia
Adelaide, Australia
London, UK
Brussels, Belgium
Calgary, Canada
Vancouver BC (Hopefully, Republic of British Columbia one day)

Cities I have lived more than one month in:
Tokyo, Japan
Kunming, PRC
KL, Malaysia
Cairo, Egypt
Sharm-el-Sheikh, Egypt
Amman, Jordan
Damascus, Alleppo, Homs, Lattakia, Syria
Istanbul, Turkey
Athens, Greece
Paris, France
Prague, Czech Republic
Bratislava, Slovakia
San Francisco, USA
Amsterdam, Netherlands
Oslo, Norway
Bangkok, Thailand
Vienti??, Laos

My all time favourite city: Paris
Boring City: Anyone in Canada

Let me suggest: HOUNSLOW, in West London.
The scenery is shocking, and the roads are like crawling lanes. But you cant find greater ethnic diversity anywhere. Just a mere 3 miles from noisy Heathrow Airport. A bustling environment full of racial prejudice and hate crime. See how the peoples of the world truly embrace each other.

Hounslow, it makes Taichung seem like Kyoto!

Hmmm, having absolutely NO intention of ever living in the U.S. again, and my wife having absolutely NO intention of staying in Taiwan for more than another 8-10 years, we’ve talked about this. Canada has come up, the Gold Coast in B.C. to be specific (close enough to Vancouver for the convenience, but close enough to yokel rednecks to whom I’m related to get great cookies around Christmas :smiley:). New Zealand has also come up in conversation. The only thing we agree on is that neither one of us wants to learn another language (or I’d be hightailing it for Latin America :smiley:), so it has to be English speaking or Chinese speaking. She has mentioned the Mainland, but why not stay here in that case and just do a lot of extended trips there?

Any suggestions for other places? I’ve always wanted to visit the Brisitsh Isles, but for some reason the pull to live there has never been strong…

I sure hope you all are set up financially for retirement and old age in these utopias. It wasn’t too long ago that I was in my twenties, carefree, bulletproof, with no thought for the future like a lot of youall :expressionless: (Too long ago?? I have three kids older than most of youall :blush: ) I know I sound like an old fogie but I are one :laughing: There may be 60 seconds in one minute, and 60 minutes in one hour, but I swear time speeds up as one gets older. :cry:

France.

I don’t even have to think about it. Probably somewhere in the Burgundy or Touraine region. Portugal seems nice too…and it’s warmer there.

[quote=“ImaniOU”]France.

I don’t even have to think about it. Probably somewhere in the Burgundy or Touraine region. Portugal seems nice too…and it’s warmer there.[/quote]

Better know how to speak French, 'cuz they won’t talk to you in anything else!

Anee bod e can larn franch in a pheew monz. Eez raelly simpel to larn. I larn ed my franch from looking at ze famus franch tv show, eurotrash end de famus franch polis man , Insp. Cluseau, ze Pink Panther.
After dis ew must learn how to cook ze franch food. Ew can start wiz the franch brad with garlic end ze famus franch cheez. Ez raelly important to eat ze garlic if ew want to be like ze french and be in ze familee…, no? Ev ree bod ee have fun and relax, eat ze franch stick, eat ze garlic and cheez, drink ze vine of the tabel, partee partee.

Barcelona! OK, I admit it, I haven’t been to Rome yet :blush: , but Barcelona is simply a great city. However, I’m worried that the climate change will have turned that place into an unfriendly desert region until I retire.

Nein, danke. I spent way too much time there already. I’d rather be in Taiwan.

If I couldn’t live in Sydney (“home”) what would be the POINT??? :slight_smile:

But OK, I wouldn’t mind living for a extended time in Manhattan, Washington DC, London and/or - but only if I could speak Italian, which I can’t - Venice. Taipei has always been one of those cities I ‘wouldn’t mind living in for a while’, along with Singapore and Shanghai.

I feel the same. I don’t want to have to learn another language after I retire… that limits things a bit… but, luckily the Brits left a worldwide legacy to us all.

Wow, just read this thread! Didn’t realize I was the inspiration for a thread! hehe…My reasoning for leaving SF to come to Taiwan is to experience a new culture…but i love SF and really hate leaving…but pushing myself to experience a new culture/country will be worth (i hope!)

Tibet, Central Asia, or the Himalayas somewhere.

But I’d have to bring money with me if I did that–don’t want to just walk away from my job here, and then use up all my savings.

Has to be somewhere warm:

Fiji.

Cabo San Lucas.

Western Micronesia.

Most likely? East Coast of Taiwan somewhere south of Chang-bing…Near the spouse’s hometown.

Norilsk, the Siberian site of a massive Russian nickel smelting operation, is known as one of the most polluted places on earth. Excellent video here

This topic is fun, i allways dreamt about being half year in croatia, in dalmatia region, and another half being somewhere in south east. Actually lived this life for 5 years, than marriage, life happened.

Both places have a lot of charm, and giving me feeling of freedom. Croatia has best sea in the world, adriatic with many beaches. Is isolated region, with many small villages. Sea is pieceful like a lake, no industry around, with clean nature. Locals are laid back, allways ready for drinking and singing, cook organic and use olive oil.Mediterian soul.
South east asia - most likely taiwan, cause is cheap and convient, great coffee and green tea. Can do a various commercial activities for peanuts money. Sit on small street table, eating asian food, drinking beer. Somewhere south, like kaohsiung, where you get big space for your dollars, where mountains are not far to attack em with bike and with scooter on another day. And kaohsiung gives you a real city feeling. Allways warm