Where is Robert Storey these days?

Yeah, I’ve been surprised by just how useless an e-book or app is when you’re walking around a town looking for a guesthouse or a restaurant. The need to flip back and forth between the city map and the list of hotels and the notes you’ve scribbled about what’s interesting for you … ugh. I guess if you’re utterly hopeless with paper maps an app may be better, but for me in this regard paper remains far superior.

MM, sorry to hear you’re not writing the Taiwan guide this time around, although I guess that solves the dilemma you were facing about how to handle the recent food scandals!

When I was staying at a hostel in Taipei in the late 90s, the hostel hounds would occasionally have hash mailed to the place but to be on the safe side (snerk) they would have the package addressed to “Mr. Robert Storey.”

Yeah, I thought that the minute I posted my post. :slight_smile:

I totally agree, cause we are the same generation, I guess, you know, old folks. I was traveling with an LP in Taiwan back in the days (one where the maps were still drawn by hand). I was just wondering about the appeal of books to the younger travelers of today. I have problems picturing someone from Generation Z putting down his or her phone and pick up a book. :unamused:

Besides, it’s hard to use a phone when you’re on the trail and don’t have any toilet paper.

I totally agree, cause we are the same generation, I guess, you know, old folks. I was traveling with an LP in Taiwan back in the days (one where the maps were still drawn by hand). I was just wondering about the appeal of books to the younger travelers of today. I have problems picturing someone from Generation Z putting down his or her phone and pick up a book. :unamused:[/quote]

I see young kids with the Malaysia LP guide all the time. I see the same in China (with the China guide). Seen young’uns in Taiwan too with the book.

You can also download the book as a pdf to read on your phone if you like. Strangely, I have found it’s mostly middle aged travellers who do that.

Hah. Yeah, one less editorial hassle to deal with.

Ah, but with film photography and LPs being increasingly popular among the young whippersnappers these days, who knows?

I want to see Taiwan! Probably the next year I’ll fulfill my plans!

Yeah, I’ve been surprised by just how useless an e-book or app is when you’re walking around a town looking for a guesthouse or a restaurant. The need to flip back and forth between the city map and the list of hotels and the notes you’ve scribbled about what’s interesting for you … ugh. I guess if you’re utterly hopeless with paper maps an app may be better, but for me in this regard paper remains far superior.

MM, sorry to hear you’re not writing the Taiwan guide this time around, although I guess that solves the dilemma you were facing about how to handle the recent food scandals![/quote]

I disagree. The Tripadvisor app for example now eliminates the need to flip between anything. It can locate you via GPS and tell you what’s nearby or else tell you how to get where you’re going. My only problem is I sometimes have to walk and follow myself on GPS in order to orientate the map.

I travel exclusively with travel guide in e-book form now. But something like the LP only gives me background info on the places I am looking for. Most of the places I want to go aren’t in there or there isn’t enough info on them. I use it for pre-trip planning and planning on the road. I rarely use it daily while traveling.

No more LP print books for me.

The Legend passed away recently in Taidong. His early LP helped me through my Taipei days >>> thanks for his efforts in bringing Taiwan to people’s attention.

2 Likes

Sad to hear.

I heard he took his own life. Wonder was he sick.

Sad news indeed. I remember using his Korea guide way back in the day as well.

That’s terrible news.

It’s sad to think of such a talented man succumbing to the fight of inner-demons

Robert, you made your mark in Taiwan, and you die with respect

1 Like

Shocking. Just 2 months ago, he had plans on improving his website and didn’t sound like a man with inner demons at all.

A fine commemoration of his life and his contributions appeared in today’s Taipei Times:

Guy

2 Likes

Very sorry to hear this. Never met Robert but was in the same expat generation, late 80’s and 90’s – the analog glory days. His books were incredibly useful for exploring the entire island. Always admired the guy from afar. RIP.

1 Like

What a shame. I met him back in '92 and we had a good long chat. What an interesting character! I won’t forget him.