Where to buy arugula, baby spinach & other salad makings

Jeez, you got to get into town, Jethro.

My day market has zucchini, colored carrots (for whatever difference it makes, since they all taste the same), all colors of bell peppers, multiple varieties of tomatoes, different varieties of potatoes, and pearl onions.

And all for the same prices as the other veg.

Purple/yellow broccoli, and wax beans, maybe not.

Is this a wholesale market of which you speak?

No, it’s just my neighborhood day market, what that guy referred to as a “wet market”.

Yeah, whats up with that? We have not had a typhoon to speak of, or any amount of rain for a long time. Or is that it? The heat and lack of rain?

Well, its time to broaden peoples palettes. Introduce them to the wonders of fried zucchinis, ajvar, stuffed peppers, argula sandwiches…etc

The heat and lack of rain

locale and I’ll check it out on weekend.

We have a wholesale veg market in Hsinchu City. Its where are the “local market” folk get their wares. I went there and bought 30 red bell peppers and 20 eggplants. Cost about NT$600 No zukes or anything fancy.

Does this Xanadu of which you speak sell black beauty eggplants?

Couldn’t say, we don’t do them at my place.

Well, you should. Make some baba ghanoush, some ajvar, some eggplant parm. The more people who buy them, they more they will grow and sell them, the happier Jamie-poo is.

Whatevs.
We don’t even eat the long skinny ones

Watch your language, who says I’m a ‘guy’, don’t just assume.

Is that what people call “Traditional markets” where someone is chopping the remains of a once-sentient being, right next to someone selling spring onions, next to someone who is frying up some tofu?

It’s sure time people change some habits when it comes to eating, Taiwan is a very conservative society when it comes to food.
I understand that in the past they were happy when they had food, any food. But when a society evolves, food patterns should do the same. I’m not saying that everyone wants to because there are many that would eat everyday the same and everyday their favorite. But isn’t it nice when you can do something different than cooking always the same.

1 Like

They call it ‘wet-market’ because it’s a wet and dirty foul smelling place, blood used to be all over, the floors wet, open sewage, mosquitoes, flies and other critters with long tails.
But times change, and now we are looking for salad greens instead of cabbage and kong xin cai.

Jeepers, that’s a pretty confrontational tone there, kiddo. Is that really the most polite way you could think of to express yourself?

Anyways, I’m the one looking at a butter lettuce/mango/smoked duck salad for lunch, so neener.

I miss the days when all we had to eat was digua with a side dish of diguaye, they was hard times but they was good times.

You had dishes???
Posh bastard.

Well when I say dish I mean a piece of scavenged cardboard…

Ya, Folgers at upscale coffee prices!

1 Like

Did I post that? Sorry, must be my English, bad. I forgot the Emoji. :roll_eyes:

Yeah well, you still don’t get any salad.