Where to get an Open Work Permit after you get your APRC?

Just got my APRC (had a JFRV before) from the Taoyuan branch of the NIA, but they were vague about getting an OWP. They told me to go to the 勞工局 in Taipei. Really? Are they the only one who give out OWPs?

So, can anyone help me out here with some up-to-date information? Where to get an OWP and how? Any documentation needed? Cheers.

Last year I had to get a new APRC, and hence OWP, because my passport expired. I’m in Taoyuan and was told to still go to the 勞動力發展署 Labor Development Agency in Taipei.
Address: 台北市中正區中華路一段39號

Edit: You could try to call and see if you can do it by mail. I always prefer to do these things in person myself.
Also, I found a Taoyuan Employment Services Center, but don’t know if they issue OWPs. Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/4Ra1fpRr4YR2

Only takes a couple minutes here. Apply then come back and pick it up.

勞動部勞動力發展署 跨國勞動力事務中心
No. 39, Section 1, Zhonghua Road, Zhongzheng District, Taipei City, 100
02 8995 6000

https://goo.gl/maps/ngDBUe72imP2

#%&@!^*%#% I just went to Zhonghua Road last Thursday for some other stuff. Even though I’m only half an hour from Taipei I hardly ever go there. Never mind, thanks for the info and I’ll give them a call to see if we can do it by mail. Otherwise I have a good excuse to take half a day off :slight_smile:

How about Kaohsiung? I’ve had one years and I worked in the family business. Now I want to work outside and my original one was lost.

I’d also love some information in Chinese about the advantages of hiring foreigners with APRC work permits. I live in hicksville and many people are not aware of the advantages.
Thanks.

Isn’t a JFRV/APRC already an “open work permit”?

Yeah, well, uh, yes, uh no not really. It’s a mystery, it’s Taiwan.

You got an ARC through marriage, you don’t need a work permit, than you change to APRC and they advice you to get one. Weird huh!

1 Like

Not really. When you have an JFRV you need permission from your wife to work. With an APRC you need permission from the Taiwanese government to work. See? We are not full members of society and always need permission to do stuff, like make money and pay taxes. :doh:

2 Likes

Apparently, marriage + ARC is the magic formula, even if the ARC is not marriage-based, whereas an APRC without marriage is in a slightly different category.

This means Mr. Duke should still have permission to work even before he obtains the OWP, because he’s still married and still has an ARC (with a P added). Still, obtaining the OWP will make things smoother.

(This is not legal advice, so note the word “apparently”.)

1 Like

:wall:

I am stupid. Sue me.

So, say I get my APRC and shortly after me and the missus decide to part ways. Does that mean I have to now get this OWP? What does an OWP do? Does it allow me to work anywhere that will hire me? Am I exempt from the “Taiwanese First” rule of hiring?

To be safe, get the OWP anyway.

It just indicates that you have permission to work, not that you’re an outstanding foreigner or anything like that.

But it already says that on my card.

Yes, but for APRC holders, the tried and tested course is to obtain an OWP. You should already be allowed to work, but who wants to argue with a bureaucrat or police officer?

OK. Point taken.

So is this just a formality and a matter of filling out a form and paying some cash, or is it a whole application process that needs to be repeated every so often?

Iirc you just need to get a new one when you renew your APRC, but I’ll leave it for people who’ve actually done it to explain. :slight_smile:

Tanx

It’s quick and easy (same-day pick up) and I think it was like 200 NT. There’s no expiration date on the card. Just has your name, birthday, passport number, APRC number, and issue date.

I let my employer make a copy of it so they no longer have to reapply for a work permit.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up.

No Q. :wink:

I just went there (勞動力發展署 Labor Development Agency in Taipei.
Address: 台北市中正區中華路一段39號) today.

I’ve had an APRC for several years, so I brought that, my passport, and a photo (they didn’t require a name chop but bring one if you got one). The bi-lingual instructions on the 10th Floor tell you to ask the (very friendly and helpful) security/service guy to help you. He retrieved a form, helped me fill it out and made a copy of my APRC and passport (NT$4 fee). He asked me if I wanted to pick the OWP up or mailed to me. I opted to pick it up myself and filled out a short form stating so. I took a number, sat down for 45 seconds at which time I was called to the front desk to a nice lady who collected my papers and asked if I wanted to come back another day to pick it up or wait an hour to get it (:rofl:) – this was around 3:15, theoretically if you don’t come too late in the day, you can have it after a relaxing lunch downstairs (I believe they are closed ~12:00-1:30). I returned at 4 and was out of there by 4:15 with the OWP in hand.

Out of over 20 years living here, I’ve had nothing but great experiences with my interactions with the government here … something that probably all other governments around the world could learn from.