Where to get good cheese

It seems like many people have been interested in some of the places I eat and buy food at. So I thought I’d start sharing some of th best of the best in the taipei area. So where to buy good cheese seems to be a common theme. Let me answer.

It’s a small and humble place. A lot of imported cheese from Italy and some from France. The owner is Italian and very friendly and really knows his cheese. You can set up a time to come try and sample with wine. And the prices and quality beats Jason’s or anywhere I’ve seen in taipei.

3 Likes

Looks like good stuff!

It’s fantastic. Their tiramisu is also sooooo good.

1 Like

I knew I shouldn’t have clicked on this :stuck_out_tongue:

Let me know if you guys are interested in knowing about some of my favorite places around taipei. I don’t eat like a king everyday but I do find good food something one must indulge in in life. Also I can take requests based on the type of food.

1 Like

I don’t go to Taipei very much, but I “liked” your post because I liked your post. :slight_smile: I like reading posts like that one and reading Facebook pages like the one you linked to. Even if I never go to that place, I enjoy looking at that sort of stuff.

Also, I think letting people know about places like this is a good thing. I think it’s potentially good for the business in question, and I think it’s potentially good for the foreign community, because somebody in this community is bound to be specifically interested in finding good cheese.

I hope people make requests, and I hope you post more stuff like this.

Sure, do you know any decent cigar shops? This talk of fine cheeses is making me really want some tea, crackers, cheese, and a cigar. I only know of the cigar emporium. Seems like the typical hole in the wall tobacco shops I’m used to stateside don’t exist here.

I can do one about it. Unfortunately my experience overall is they are either dry, too moist and are almost molding or even fakes from China.

Thank you. Looks like an interesting place. Quite a hole in the wall, not to say well hidden. But I haven’t had any decent gorgonzola in ages and would love some. So thank you again for sharing.

I agree that finding perfectly fine cheese, in Taipei at least, is easy - there’s tons of decent stuff around. But it’s always nice to hear about speciality stores like this one.

Dunno for you guys, but I never visit Well come. In my neck of the woods, foreign food is practically nonexistent, Well come is totally localized and has no cheese. I hate Carrefour with passion and doubt the quality and freshness of their stuff.

Jason’s closest to me is Main Station which means selection is so so. Not as good as Taipei 101. Best bet is City Super, which is not cheap and may or may not have stuff. Gorgonzola there has been…sporadic. heck mortadela is hit or miss.

Have you checked Wellcome recently? About a year ago they expanded their range of cheese imports - a new British brand started showing up. It’s appearing in Danshui, so you may find it’s appearing in Xindian as well.

I don’t suppose anyone’s seen Mexican cheeses like queso fresco around? I usually just use feta or Costco’s goat cheese or fresh mozzarella instead, which is fine, but one of these days I’d like to find out how the recipe should “really” taste.

Andrew0409, fresh mozzarella (i.e. packaged in brine, not as a block) is readily available at some Carrefours, and at the deli counters in Jason’s and City Super, although it’s branded stuff. It’s like the cheeses you can buy at many Wellcomes: decent quality that you could get at a typical North American supermarket, although probably not gourmet quality (not that I usually have the palate to tell the difference).

There’s a Jason’s at Guting now - better selection than the one at Taipei Main Station, not as good as 101.

Yes I’ve seen it. But that’s like telling me mister donuts is fresh and good after working at a donut shop. I wanted to talk about more authentic and quality stuff. But I guess it offends people or something so I guess not.

Nah, I like what you’re posting. I just wasn’t sure if you meant you couldn’t find “fresh mozzarella” (which at a decent but not great quality is moderately easy to find) or “fresh mozzarella like they eat it in Italy” (which as you say is harder to find!).

Like beer. Beer’s always been easy to find here. But until five or six years ago, good beer was much harder to find.

This question might be off topic, but is Jasons the most expensive supermarket in tw?

Nope. Reserve that title for the one at Breeze Center. Followed by the organic ones.

City Super has expensive stuff but when it is on sale it is cheaper that Jason’s.