Where to take a shower around Taiwan?

I come from Hong Kong where hot showers can be taken freely in muncipality buildings, and now traveling through Taiwan, enjoying the sunny weather from out of my tent, but having a hard time to find a place to shower.
I didn’t shower for a week and had to go to a friends house to shower.
Taipei has Internet cafe’s with shower facilities, but Kaohsiung has none.
YMCA has no hourly subscriptions, and the public arena has only a toilet facility.
Hostels don’t provide hourly stay nor shower only, world gym requires a membership, and the swimming pools are closed because of holidays, and I’m not sure whether there even is a hot shower facility at the limited amount of swimming pools.
Can anyone pinpoint a location where I can shower in Kaohsiung (or any city in the south of Taiwan)
Thank you.

Taipei occasionally posts a list of public showers. Maybe Kaohsiung also publishes a list.

Try local police/fire stations - plead your case…they might be willing, if they are in the holiday mood. At the very least, they might be able to point you in the right direction. Or, you could try and use a convienence store restroom for a quick hose down - might have to slip the clerk a little $ to look the other way. Hot springs is another option, if you are into a bath. When all else fails - wet wipes!!

It’s NT$50 to go to a public gym in Taipei which has showers, pool, etc. and the gyms everywhere nearly always within a 10 minute walk. How about Kaohsiung?

Have you tried showing up at a hostel and asking the management? Otherwise there are public swimming pools and public gym facilities. You pay a small fee to get in. Where are you camping? If its near a stream you could just take a dip.

Yes, Taipei has those, but in Kaohsiung, even a friend called gyms but require either membership, or have no shower facilities, only a toilet.

Hostel told me they don’t provide shower only (called two times on the phone)…
I’m urban camping, and there are mostly buildings in the city in front of me…

I know at least one swimming pool costing 52 NTD per ticket, but not open till the holidays are over, let’s hope that they provide (hot) showers. I didn’t shower for a week and got severe itch and rashes and pustules on my scalp, but a Taiwanese family let me use their bathroom and gave me tea, sweet potato and apple pieces, very kind of them.

Taipei has many facilities, but unfortunately too cold to camp there.

I’ve never been to Kaohsiung, and I know next to nothing about that city. I’d hate to add to your problems by sending you on a wild goose chase, so I hope someone can add information to this post.

I found a website that says that Cijin/Qijin Coastal/Seaside Park in Kaohsiung has shower facilities:

https://www.expedia.com.tw/en/Cijin-Seaside-Park-Kaohsiung.d6332399.Vacation-Attraction

I don’t personally know whether Cijin/Qijin Park has shower facilities, or if it does, I don’t know whether they’re free, or, if they’re not free, how much they cost. I also don’t know whether it costs money to get into the park.

In addition to the Expedia article, the fourth review post on this tripadvisor page (“Pleasant afternoon”), from 2015, says that Cijin Seaside Park has showers:

The post just above that one (“No better way to enjoy the day!”), also from 2015, says that the ferry fee was NT$30 at that time.

Please be advised that in 2014, someone on the website Kaohsiung Living said that they stepped on a discarded needle in Qijin:

http://kaohsiungliving.org/discussion/comment/8454#Comment_8454

As the name implies, Kaohsiung Living is a website for folks who live in Kaohsiung.

Well, I hope this helps, or at least does no harm, and I also hope that someone comes along with more and/or better information.

This is very useful information, thank you very much for spending your precious time to help me!

Try the university campuses, public hospitals and hospital libraries.

sweet.potato: [quote=“sweet.potato, post:11, topic:157952, full:true”]
This is very useful information, thank you very much for spending your precious time to help me!
[/quote]

You’re welcome!

I remember during my searches somebody mentioned hospitals, or a hospital. Anyway, those sound like they might worth checking out, too.

If someone in Melbourne walked up to me and asked where to take a shower I would head them straight to RMIT University in the city to the bathroom facilities across from the computers in the library. While not openly advertised for obvious reasons, anybody off the street can literally just walk in and use the shower(s?) there, I’ve done it. Curious to know if this is the case anywhere in Taiwan.

1 Like

I’ am Kaohsiung citizen. Live in Northern part. After trying some Chinese key words I only can suggest you try the swimming pools or youth hostel. But hostels mostly open in southern part where near the train station. I am not sure if National Stadium (世運) offer this service.

Thanks for the suggestion. Hospitals seems like a good option, but it would be weird to arrive there and ask.
Maybe they are openly available, if so, could it be written in the floor plan, or would it be integrated in changing rooms?

The only option in Taiwan would be police stations on the east coast, several beaches probably having cold free showers, or public hot springs, all of them hours away from any urban civilization…

Thanks for the reply, the National Stadium had only toilet facilities…
Hostels, at least one, offer bath service for 300 NTD, the cheapest way to shower would be the swimming pool.

Or buy some hose, connect it to the tap, and hope you’re not caught…

Yeah, I have to admit I’m not sure how that would work. I would certainly ask the hospital folks before trying it.

Have you found anything? Not just about the hospital, but anything at all.

I wonder if these people can help:

http://hobo.org.tw/

They appear to be located here:

高雄市三民區中原街9號

Gāoxióng Shì Sānmín Qū Zhōngyuán Jiē 9 Hào

No. 9 Zhongyuan Street, Sanmin District, Kaohsiung City 807

Telephone: (07) 311-2496
Fax: (07) 311-3326

I’m not sure, but I think this is the place:

This is the Street View:

(Thanks, Google!)

You can go to the map from the Street View, but it seems to remove the red marker if you do. So if you want a clickable Google Map with a red marker for the place, I guess you should plug in this address again on Google and click the map:

高雄市三民區中原街9號

On the Street View, I can’t tell whether the establishment in the picture is the outfit mentioned above, or whether the temple next door to the right of it is. (Or who knows, maybe both of them are?)

This looks like the same outfit on Facebook:

I don’t know if this news article can help, but this is where I got the URL for the place mentioned above: