Which bars should I hit in Taipei?

Ya been too longzz on the Rock. Ya means Soho maybe?

2 Likes

Yes, late night posting. I got arrested in Soho when I was 14 (bunking off school), I swear it was because we were checking out Carnaby street, the family hasn’t let me live it down since.

1 Like

Where is the best bar/pub in Taipei? I have frequented many bars. All my favourite places close down within a few weeks. Noise complaints. Seriously, and I know Revolver is ok. Any other suggestions?

What do you look for in a bar? Good beer? Craft beer? Mixed drinks? An upscale place?

Apologies. My question was a bit non specific. Just a decent bar/pub. Decent beer (Belgium). I went to ABV on friday night. They have a good selection, reasonable priced.

Try the local. Good pub food and great selection of beer. Owners are my friends.

I am a no life dork, so I don’t drink, smoke, or do drugs. :slight_smile:

I always pass by the Relvolver.

Since I don’t drink, but if I did drink drink, being a introvert and very practically, binge drinking in my room would be the only way to go, the only way to go ;).

I could’ve sworn this was discussed before, but I somehow can’t find the thread. @Toe_Save help me!

This blog has some pretty good suggestions and reviews are pretty on point with very forward point system. I’ve been to a few of the places they’ve recommended and his point system is spot on.

Personally, I think if you’re in Taiwan, you gotta drink Taiwanese brews. I’m not a beer nerd, but I do prefer a nice pint off the draft as opposed to something that has traveled 5,000 miles.

OP I know you said Belgium brews, but try these…

The above has a location at the top of ATT4FUN by 101. On a summer evening, probably one of the best places in the city to have a beer.

The Taiwan Beer factory just re-opened its Biergarden-like bar and it’s a 快炒/100 dollar plate kind of place. They serve the freshest of 18 day Taiwan Beer in the city. I haven’t gone after they re-opened, but I remember it being 550NT for 5000cc of 18 days in a small keg (approximately 9-10 pints). Live music on certain days too!

I will definitely try out the Taiwan Beer factory. I really like the Biergarden idea. I like The Local because they have EvilTwin and it’s in my neighborhood. They have some popup food that have been quite good. It is definitely a pub for the guys though. My fav place is The Corner Office. It is a well-run establishment in that they always know their clientele and I don’t feel like it’s a teenager place where they’re afraid you’re going to skip out without paying. Good 886 and Taihu 台PA brews, and fish tacos. This last Friday, I stopped by Crafted at Yuanshan Maji2. They had a tamale popup and also great local brews like Red Point. There are more and more places like this featuring Taiwanese craft beers. There’s a Taiwanese barley beer that is the absolute worst that I’ve ever tasted. Nice people and horrific brew. I had to drink a glass so that I didn’t offend the owner. https://goo.gl/maps/fPzjX8gdcg12 Maybe others will like it? My hubby and I got tasting glasses of every type just to see if there was one we liked.

I was asking a similar question to OP a few months back (possibly what ranlee is referring to) and found the resulting discussion very useful.

http://tw.forumosa.com/t/which-bars-should-i-hit-in-taipei/

I’ve been checking places off and so far that Revolver joint is my favourite. It was a bit weird seeing those polite and friendly girls at the bar both wearing T shirts with a big cartoon middle finger pointing at me, though.

Had some (…well, a lot) of that 23 pale ale, too. It’s very good - and a Taiwan brewery.

Carnegie’s was sound, too. Had that expat vibe for sure but really didn’t feel sleazy to me. That said, I was still so jet-lagged when I was there that I didn’t stay that late. Maybe I’ll check out the Ladies Night on Wednesday and be forced to revise my opinion.

I like Corner Office too. My only gripe is the the price tag, but that’s what you get for that kind of location. Nonetheless, good brews, good atmosphere and the owner/workers are super super nice.

Craft Beer and Co.

Run by a TAS teacher. Not too many selections on tap, but you can’t argue it’s a great place to sit outside and enjoy a brew.

2 Likes

I personally like the kickback/quiet places so that I can have a conversation. The perfect evening for me is a dinner (often at a noisy place, like a kwai tsao), followed by a kickback bar like Le Fumoir. Just about every type of scotch and cigars (if you’re into that). The glasses of scotch start at around NT$300 and can get much pricier. I usually stick with something like Glenmorangie Original so it’s at that lower range.

1 Like

You might like this place. Lots of whiskey to choose from. Price isn’t a wallet buster either. No cigars though. We all know you shouldn’t be smoking those if you want to improve your running and cycling!

This is exactly why I frequent The Green Hornet.

1 Like

Will check that out. It’s close to where I work.

I love ‘The Green Hornet’. It’s my local. Cheers for the other recommendations.

I know the area well having worked there for a few months.
Not in the Peep show though haha!

hahaha, yes they closed 2 second one too but re opened with the name of:
the local
:bowing:

For local crafted beers - Jolly Brewery. Three locations. Solid choice of beers and some good Thai-influenced food.

What happened to “The Corner Office”? Thought they were really popular, now closed.