Which is the best credit card in your opinion?

[color=#FF0000]Moderator’s Note:Any further comments about not having to pay your credit card bill, etc., will be deleted without discussion. The guy asked a sensible question, and stupid answers just make work for me.[/color]

Hi all,

I was wondering what kind of cc you all use? As you know Taiwan cc comes with lots of perks which you can’t find in Europe. In the US it’s a common thing. I came from europe so that is why i was so enthusiastic about my first cc here in Taiwan.

I currently have 3 cc:
1 Visa Citibank platinum cash rebate
1 MC Fubon Platinum Business cc
1 Amex Cathay Pacific

The first one of Citibank sucks the most. You only get 0.5% cash rebate if you pay your bill on time. It can go as high as 6%, that is of course if you wanna pay interest to the bank. The less you pay off of your bill the more interest you pay and the higher the % of cash rebate. There is a cap of 10000 NT/year that you can use up free of charge (you can subtract that amount from your bill). I only got this because i thought CITI was good and i wanted it for Viewshow…

The one with Fubon is good. As i travel a lot to other countries the free Priority Pass comes in handy to get access to the lounges FOC on one condition. You have to use this cc to pay for your flight ticket. Another perk is the asiamiles 50 NT=1 mile. Worst out there, but better than nothing.

Best one i have is AMEX Cathay Pacific to get Asiamiles (FFP of Cathay Pacific). 25 NT=1 mile. Citibank used to have this too but they cancelled it. Amex card comes with an annual fee. Annual fee with this card is (silver one) is 5000 NT but as a first time user of this cc you get enough miles to redeem it on an asia flight R/T with Cathay. 2nd year is still 5000 NT but you get nothing which is a bummer. Amex card is not accepted everywhere, only in the big shopping malls and touristic places or very known restaurants where lots of tourists goes. During anniversaries of Breeze you get 1000 NT in coupons to use in Breeze if you reached 30000 NT. This is far better than what all the gifts other banks give at Breeze.

Now i was thinking about changing my Citi card for something else, but anyone has an idea what is better?

I agree that the CX Elite Amex is one of the best cards available in Taiwan and if you also fly paid flights on CX the miles rack up like crazy (regular miles + bonus miles + bonus miles for booking on CX website). More than anything they are just so easy to deal with, well worth the annual fee for less hassle. You do get another bonus on renewal BTW, maybe talk to Amex about that.

It sounds like me you are into air miles so I would recommend the Eva Citi cobrand. You will be able to change easily from your other Citi card and it accrues miles at $25/mile for domestic purchases and $15/mile for foreign purchases. Also 25 days airport parking and 2x airport transfers per year. Annual fee is $1200/yr. It’s only my backup card and I earn at least one transatlantic business class roundtrip per year.

Thanks for sharing Ilary. But Eva Citi is not for me since i don’t fly with eva air. All my spendings are going on CX card for asia miles, but in fact i’m a flying blue member…haha.

I’m looking for a better cash reward card that is higher than citi ridiculous 0.5%.

Damn if you can get a R/T business card from your backup card then you must be a big spender. I assume R/T in business transatl is about 120000 miles * 25 = 3 million NT/year as you back up card spending. You can easily get any card you want then…

About half of my Visa card spend is from foreign transactions which earn at NT$15/mile but that’s about right.

I don’t fly Eva either but I use the miles either for employee flights or family visits to Taiwan. I guess you could sell the tickets as an alternative, either way I would have to get over 5% cashback to choose that over miles.

Can’t you transfer Citi points from a regular non airline card to CX miles? I’m pretty sure I read about people doing that on FlyerTalk but I’ve never bothered asking.

For a CX flyer I think you already have the best card with that Amex. I have not found anything better in Taiwan.

Flyertalk is good if you have american applied cc. But in Taiwan the option is limited…too bad.

Indeed 5% cashback would be great, but i’d settle for 2% as well. It’s still 4x my 0.5%. Damn that’s low…

Hi,
I’m pretty sure I already know the answer to this question is yes, but I’m going to ask just to confirm - do you have to be married or a resident to get these credit cards? if yes, it’s no big deal. my mother is taiwanese, so i’m pretty sure next time she comes back i’ll get her to apply and add me as a second user.

Visa or Mastercard is better received in general in the USA.

You need a non-student ARC or national ID card to apply for a credit card. You don’t have to be married and if your finances are good you don’t need a guarantor. If you don’t have any ID card or ARC at all then I’m not sure if you would even be given a supplementary card on someone else’s account.

Thanks for all the helpful information! :bravo:

As far as the Cathay Pacific AMEX card goes, how do you go about applying for one?
I’ve taken a look at the website…and there’s only the old school way of mailing it in after you fill out a print-out.

Is there any way to do this in person? Btw, I live in Kaohsiung City. :pray:

[quote=“cjw003”]Thanks for all the helpful information! :bravo:

As far as the Cathay Pacific AMEX card goes, how do you go about applying for one?
I’ve taken a look at the website…and there’s only the old school way of mailing it in after you fill out a print-out.

Is there any way to do this in person? Btw, I live in Kaohsiung City. :pray:[/quote]

This thread is quite old.

Applications here are old school. You can go into the bank bringing your passport, arc, health card and your bankbook showing 3 to 6 months salary for their consideration.