Why do I always rub South Africans the wrong way?

This reminds me of an olive-skinned hottie from Bangladesh I once worked with in Taoyuan who spoke impeccable English but struggled to find a job because of her shade of melanin.

lekker

I’ve always found South Africans easy to get along with and have 3 SA mates. One thing I have noticed is that they are very keen on respect in a quite old-fashioned way. So, if they are describing another guy they’ll often say something along the lines of “I like that guy. He’s very respectful.”. They often call other guys Sir. I’m not sure where that comes from - perhaps it’s because a lot of them come from small farming communities?

Entertaining read!!

Why you meeting South Africans? You can hang out with Canadians :stuck_out_tongue:

(edit: this was just a joke, I had no idea this was a long ass thread resurrected from seemingly eons ago)

The Roman Catholics put together the modern Bible as we have it. They must know a thing or two about Christianity. The Protestants came out from the Catholic Church and clung on to a few differences.

I am not sure about praying to Saints and asking them to intercede. Personally I just ask Christ to intercede on my behalf with God. Go straight to the top so to speak :slight_smile:

Yes Taiwan needs to change the White is the only correct English viewpoint. It should really only be down to the teacher’s personal education and his/her English abilities.

I know this black person from Africa (no not sA), educated in English and I certainly could not tell from speaking with him that he was a person NOT from England or that he was not white, until i met him.

And that is but one of very many examples. How about the blacks who are American? Blacks who are English?

It’s time English education in Taiwan was taught by people who know the language well and speak it well.