Why do I always rub South Africans the wrong way?

Jeez, what is this man? A thread dedicated to bashing us wonderful hard-working, god-fearing South Africans? Assumptions and generalisations all over the show. Bleddy hell man! I am getting really pissed off…

:stuck_out_tongue:

Bababa said “The older non-white South Africans seemed defensive and touchy.
I assumed at the time that this was related to apartheid.”

You may be entirely correct.

Hahahaha,yes Alan,isn’t it pathetic!We’ve sold our souls to be accepted,& this is what we get for it!!

But there again,I HAVE encountered a fair amount of blithering idiots in my time here who have pissed me off to the max!Anyhow,such is life.Just sever any ties with the buggers.If there were any to begin with.

Erm,…what? What does this mean?

Alan, you are one of the most approachable people I’ve met in Asia. If you think this is bashing, re-read some of those Canada threads that become popular every month or so. Skate a kilometer on our blades. I would say that if the OP is on at all, you would be the exception that proves the rule. Your most-feminine counterpart, doublebuttons being another fine example of The New South African.

But there are some of your countrymen that I’ve met that go beyond the pale of your run-of-the-mill-every-country-has-them DICKHEAD as to stand center stage in my rogues gallery of DICKHEADS. They are infuriatingly memorable DICKHEADS. The kind of people you tell stories at parties about as an example of DICKHEAD! Completely off the chart as far as selfishness and calumny. Some are tinged with a seething homicidal rage that, if it weren’t for the heavy meds, would go all bitchcakes on anyone around them.

As I am writing this, I am trying to recall every Saffie I’ve met and got to know beyond 5 minutes. Alan, TwoNavels and and old colleague, F, are lovely people whom I would be glad to interact with anytime, anyplace.

But then there’s L, a nosy busy body of a bitch (self-proclaimed, btw) and A, a complete psycho, dangerous if he wasn’t so diminutive, and of course, The AB: the slimiest of snake people. He will go down in my record books as the worst human being to ever walk the face of the earth. I wouldn’t cross the street to piss on these people if they were on fire.

So there you have it. In my experience, I’ve met 6 Saffies that I’ve gotten to know for more than 5 minutes. TwoNavels being the slightest of acquaintances, and that so many years ago (but one can see nigh on immediately that she is a woman of quality) and most unfortunately, the 3 DICKHEADS that were more injected into my life like a rabies shot in the stomach making the more lasting of impressions.

50/50. But the “bad” 50 would be at the top of my all-time DICKHEAD list too. And it’s a long list.

And yes, I am on it too.

Erm,…what? What does this mean?

Alan, you are one of the most approachable people I’ve met in Asia. If you think this is bashing, re-read some of those Canada threads that become popular every month or so. Skate a kilometer on our blades. I would say that if the OP is on at all, you would be the exception that proves the rule. Your most-feminine counterpart, doublebuttons being another fine example of The New South African.

But there are some of your countrymen that I’ve met that go beyond the pale of your run-of-the-mill-every-country-has-them DICKHEAD as to stand center stage in my rogues gallery of DICKHEADS. They are infuriatingly memorable DICKHEADS. The kind of people you tell stories at parties about as an example of DICKHEAD! Completely off the chart as far as selfishness and calumny. Some are tinged with a seething homicidal rage that, if it weren’t for the heavy meds, would go all bitchcakes on anyone around them.

As I am writing this, I am trying to recall every Saffie I’ve met and got to know beyond 5 minutes. Alan, TwoNavels and and old colleague, F, are lovely people whom I would be glad to interact with anytime, anyplace.

But then there’s L, a nosy busy body of a bitch (self-proclaimed, btw) and A, a complete psycho, dangerous if he wasn’t so diminutive, and of course, The AB: the slimiest of snake people. He will go down in my record books as the worst human being to ever walk the face of the earth. I wouldn’t cross the street to piss on these people if they were on fire.

So there you have it. In my experience, I’ve met 6 Saffies that I’ve gotten to know for more than 5 minutes. TwoNavels being the slightest of acquaintances, and that so many years ago (but one can see nigh on immediately that she is a woman of quality) and most unfortunately, the 3 DICKHEADS that were more injected into my life like a rabies shot in the stomach making the more lasting of impressions.

50/50. But the “bad” 50 would be at the top of my all-time DICKHEAD list too. And it’s a long list.

And yes, I am on it too.[/quote]

Toe,

That was tongue in cheek. I was being touchy on purpose, perpetuating the stereotype that seems to be a lot of people’s perception of South Africans. Actually, to be honest, my first response was sensitive. My back was up. But after a quick second, I realised that that sort of behaviour is childish and does no one any good.

What’s more, I think it’s time we learned to laugh at ourselves.

Hence the :stuck_out_tongue: at the end of my post.

Still preconceptions only help us find what we are expecting in someone. For instance, if we go about thinking all South Africans are irrasible know-it-all arseholes then we’re bound to look for and ultimately find things they do or say that fit what we have preconceived about them.

I really don’t know what Taiwander meant by “selling our sould”. Please explain mate. I really don’t think I have. That being said, I’m not much of a patriot and don’t go about basing who I am on where I was born.

Thanks for the kind words, you’re quite alright yourself. Hell, anyone who shows a belated interest in cricket, and then listens while I go on and on, can’t be half bad!)

Best,

A

[quote=“Alleycat”]Toe,

That was tongue in cheek. I was being touchy on purpose, perpetuating the stereotype that seems to be a lot of people’s perception of South Africans. Actually, to be honest, my first response was sensitive. My back was up. But after a quick second, I realised that that sort of behaviour is childish and does no one any good.

What’s more, I think it’s time we learned to laugh at ourselves.

Hence the :stuck_out_tongue: at the end of my post.[/quote]

I did catch that and did also think you were being a tad mischievious. That’s what gave me impetus to write in this thread. Touchy subject to be sure.

Good points about finding our preconceptions in others. A lot of self-imposed hatred can stem from such addled thinking. Personally I prefer to wait a bit, get to know you as a person, allow you to show your true self, before I denegrate you as vile scum that shouldn’t be alloted air.

I have another anology to draw, but gotta dash off to work now.

Oh, I hung out with some Brits in BKK who were watching a match. I regurgitated as much as I could remember and didn’t seem to much an idjit.

Cheers.

I never realised this would be a touchy subject

Yeah, let me reiterate that I’m not bashing(or trying not to) or hating anyone . I have no preconceived ideas about anyone (believe me I know what thats like) or any nation, just that if there’s any pissing off that’s gonna be done; it’s gonna be me pissing off a South African for what would appear to be non obvious reasons. Something I don’t want to do particularly.

Obviously not all, I’ve met Alleycat, TwoNavels and teggs (I just worked out who you were :stuck_out_tongue: ) before, all great people, friendly and all the rest of it. And cheers also to you Taiwander for your insight. I’ll take on board what you said about the old-schoolers.

Cheers

[quote=“worryman”]I can empathize with you Funk500. I have worked with 2 SA and knew 5 others from around the scene, friends of friends sort of thing. Come to think of it, I had trouble getting along with any of them. They all seemed too big for their britches and were no fun interacting with any of them.

It could just be luck of the draw on my part. I just found it amusing to see this post because it relates to my experiences as well.[/quote]

I’ve always gotten along with South Africans, but then again, I am also too big for my britches and not very fun to interact with.
Actually, I was hypnotized by this shaman here once who said I was South African in a past life. :astonished:

Cool Funk!Now that’s the way to approach things!

LMAO @ Flicka! :laughing: :smiley:

That was then,this is now…

[quote=“Taiwanderer”]"Taiwanderer wrote:
We’ve sold our souls to be accepted…

Erm,…what? What does this mean?"

Toe Save & Alleycat(& anyone reading this thread I suppose),I would’ve thought that would be self-evident.Sorry if it wasn’t.Take one glance at my avatar,& you should need no further explanation.[/quote]

I am trying to give you the benefit of the doubt. By you telling me I need no further explanation, are you suggesting I renege that benefit? I don’t think you mean that, because what I am reading into your statement of selling your souls is not the least bit flattering. I am hoping I am wrong. I really am.

[quote]
I also entirely agree with TS in that the best approach is to get to know someone first,no matter where they’re from.By the way,TS,Pullitzer-winning writing there,albeit it seems,laced with some venom!!Sheeesh![/quote]

The two are not mutualy exclusive. In fact, without the venom, there’d be no prize. See Charles Bukowsky for more insight.

[quote]
In reference to the “fine New South Africans” that TS made,I hope that we all can simply be fine human beings from South Africa.

Peace.[/quote]

All?

Just kidding. Of course we all hope for harmony in our time. A global village of the mind. Here’s to that! :beer:

Kiss them first.[/quote]

Bit of truth to that. We like to hug folks… :smiley:

Kiss them first.[/quote]

Bit of truth to that. We like to hug folks… :smiley:[/quote]
Funkster, I think that’s the clue you were looking for. You haven’t been hugging enough, now have you? :slight_smile:

Having read through the entire thread, here are some thoughts.

Being South African myself, it might surprise some that the biggest ct I’ve met here has been a fellow countrymen, apart from one sorry ass American fellow, but I think he was just ignorant rather than a bona fide asshole.
The former fellow in question fits the negative stereotype of Saffas expressed on this thread. Although he tries to give the impression that he is a traveled, worldwise and tolerant sort of person he’s very much the opposite. I pity the folks who have to work with him. Then again, to be fair, we may just have clashing personalities.
The latter (American) chap shared this first conversation with me (at a local Tainan pub):
Me: Hi, how’re you.
Him: Fine. What’s your name?
Me: R
, and you?
Him: Where are you from?
Me: South Africa, and you?
Him: Oh, so you’re a racist.

At this point I started boiling, and to avoid further annoyance I turned away, ignored him and continued to watch the rugby game. I did overhear him later, telling a Taiwanese bloke how much he hates other foreigners and that he doesn’t trust them because they’re always trying to get something out of you…

That said, I have friends here from everywhere. I do seem to get along more with New Zealanders, Aussies and Brits, though. That could be because I’m an English South African and share a similiar sense of humour coupled with an unusual love of rugby. However, I have some great mates from Canada and the States, also.
Other than the abovementioned two, I can’t say I’ve ever really had an argument or been pissed off with anyone here, and both those cases are from more than a year or two ago.

And I guess we all know cads from our own countries that are a source of embarrasment. The type, when they’re in your vicinity and people know who they are and where they’re from, and folks ask you where you’re from…, “Eh, um…Australia.” :wink:

In response to Toe Save.Lack of flattery is the least of concerns with regards to having sold our souls.In retrospect,I probably shouldn’t have said that.It’s a can of worms that’s probably best left unopened here.I’m sure that you,as the erudite person you obviously are,can appreciate & understand this.If you REALLY want to know,PM me.

And don’t get me wrong concerning the “venom”.A little of this can sometimes be curative,an antivenin that can serve to awaken the senses,cause the synapses to start firing properly again.Sometimes.

I’d also like to say that I can ALSO empathise with Funk,as one other poster(Worryman) does on this one, inasmuch the fact that I have met several Saffas here in Taiwan whose sole aim it is to get p***ed at the pub every weekend & get into fights.Perhaps it is this “calibre” of person he’s come into contact with.And yes,there are those are too big for their britches,so one can understand why some have an aversion to some Saffas.
But as has been previously pointed out,there are unsavoury(& touchy)characters from everywhere.So I wouldn’t think about it too much more,Funk.Just do your thing & enjoy life.

You guys think that there are some bad Saffers here? You should meet some of the poeses I know back home.

I can be quite prickly at times. I didn’t think it was because I was South African, that it was part of my upbringing. I just thought I inherited all the ornery genes from my parents. My dad has a whole bunch, and he’s English.

You got that right,Khana.But do you think anyone besides other Saffas will know what “poeses” are?lol!

Well my relations with Saffies improved remarkably when I dropped my opening line of “So how many Krugerrands can you fit up your arse?”

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Well my relations with Saffies improved remarkably when I dropped my opening line of “So how many Krugerrands can you fit up your arse?”

HG[/quote]

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :taz: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: