Why do many people in Kinmen differentiate/separate themselves from Taiwan?

Why do many people in 金門 differentiate/separate themselves from Taiwan?

Why do you think they do?

They see the wealth across the water springing up in high rises, wonder why they have none, and want some.

Because it’s not Taiwan?

Do they though? How?

Kinmen people are quite simply not Taiwanese. It would be the same asking `why do so many people in Scotland differentiate/separate themselves from England?´.

As a part of Fujian Province, Kinmen did not experience a Japanese colonial period. Neither does Kinmen have any aboriginal tribes. Culturally speaking there are many commonalities of course, such as shared Southern Min heritage. To this day, Kinmen is part of Fujian Province, R.O.C. and not Taiwan.

1 Like

Politically, Jinmen is a KMT stronghold, at a time when the party has lost power over most of Taiwan. Jinmen celebrates the military in a way that “mainland” Taiwan hasn’t done in decades.

There’s no need to vote for a party that once banned people from speaking dialects.

I think the island should declare independence and be done with it. 金门独立!

2 Likes

Foreign schemers and plotters who hate Taiwan with your encouragement of unpatriotic separatists and the fairy tale of Kinmen “independence” have hurt the feelings of the 23 million Taiwan people.

2 Likes

There’s no need for vote for anyone, is there? (Except down under…)

How’s the food there ? Are the girls cuter than taiwan girls?

On a slightly more serious note. Taiwanese are fairly clannish. Back when travel was not as common as today. Tainan people were very quick to point out to you that they were from Tainan, Taichung people the same, Ilan people the same. People from Makung the same. So it’s not suprising Kinmen people want to differentiate themselves likewise.

My TW family are proud to say we are originally Taipei-ians. But actually not true as my ancestors were from the hakka areas in Hsinchu or something like that.