Why do people not believe in climate change?

Actually the UCLA video embedded above by Andrew is pretty good, focusing on framing, human psychology, and getting people to act.

Guy

Right. There’s a good discussion on how to make brainwashing techniques more effective. :wink:

Right, the first thing I thought about that video was that this is how communism works. Authorities trying to get comrades to compete with each other to show how good communists they are, or to shame the bad communists into trying harder. Social pressure. Well, it does work, but mostly on those not very well educated.

But with the scandals and real science educating the masses, even these communist techniques aren’t going to work in a vibrant democracy where people are going to be exposed to differing viewpoints, and thus ultimately the truth.

I agree! And that is why I have LONG called for people to ACT NOW!!! It doesn’t matter how they ACT as long as they ACT!!! WE all need to ACT without thinking NOW!!! Or something bad will happen… and we need to do something about it URGENTLY!!!

Time to revisit the whole movement? the stated problems? the stated goals? the stated “action” that would be required? and the stated predictions of the time? all based OF COURSE on experts who KNOW/KNEW. More at … smirk smirk…

By Neil Lock

Thirty years ago, in April 1987, a new United Nations report was published. It came from the recently established World Commission on Environment and Development, and its title was Our Common Future. It was 300 pages long; and its preparation, which took two and a half years, had involved 23 commissioners and 70 or so experts and support staff. In addition, they solicited inputs from people and organizations, in many different countries, who had concerns about environmental and development issues. You can find the full text of the report at [[1]].

Today, most people seem unaware of this report. That’s a pity. For this is the document, which set in motion the green political juggernaut that has had such a huge, adverse effect on the lives of all good people in the Western world. The 30th anniversary is, I think, a good time to look back at, and to re-evaluate, this report. Not only in its own terms, such as asking how significant the issues it raised have proven to be, and how well these issues have been dealt with in the meantime. But also from a broader perspective, asking how well the process, both scientific and political, has measured up to the reasonable expectations of the people who have been subjected to its consequences.

Did I write this? No… more from the same site posted above but I had to laugh at the fact that the perception about Action! to be taken NOW! is not something that has “struck” only me…

No doubt, some of these concerns were both real and apparently pressing back in 1987. But what the commission did was, in effect, to mix them all up and turn them into a single giant bogeyman. From there, it wasn’t hard to move on to demanding that Action! be taken against this bogeyman. That Action! had to be political. And it had to be taken Now! So, the report calls for “sustainable development by the year 2000 and beyond.” And it abounds with phrases like: “We call for a common endeavour and for new norms of behaviour at all levels and in the interests of all.” “Development involves a progressive transformation of economy and society.” And: “We are serving notice… that the time has come to take the decisions needed.”

Oooooh… I love the new word. What exactly does “guiltful” mean in your view? I mean how does one feel “guiltful?” LOVE IT! Prizes for the top 3 sentences in which someone uses this in a sentence AND links in FEELINGS and how you FEEL about them.

Mod note. Good to see you fred, I think once you work you way around the new forum I hope you will feel at home.

OP, freds a spicy enchiladas, I’ve enjoyed reading your posts and you seem like someone I could sit down and have a cool one with, but freds baiting, and it’s not afterspivak, who he is currently relying to, it’s you. Sorry fred, I can see the shit storm, and think OP can avoid it.

On second thought, Brian was right.

Good bye!

Guy

Nice to see you admitted defeat gracefully. :slight_smile:

Well this aged well for me.

This was banned from FB apparently :smiley:

1 Like

For being a bit crap? :joy:

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/201901

Averaged as a whole, the January 2019 global land and ocean surface temperature was 0.88°C (1.58°F) above the 20th century average and tied with 2007 as the third highest temperature since global records began in 1880. Only the years 2016 (+1.06°C / +1.91°F) and 2017 (+0.91°C / +1.64°F) were warmer. The ten warmest Januaries have all occurred since 2002, with the last five years (2015–2019) among the six warmest years in the 140-year record. January 1976 was the last time the January global land and ocean temperatures were below average at -0.02°C (-0.04°F).

Exactly . Humour is subjective . The humour May be in the very fact you think it’s ridiculous … the point was it was taken down . Jesus… half of our postings would be removed by that meter :slightly_smiling_face:

My biggest fear … way ahead of climate change , is starting the debate again with Vay and Fred Smith :joy:

1 Like

Please no… :rofl:

Here’s what changed. I do believe humans do influence the climate. But I don’t quite buy the alarmist it’s going to be the end of the world in 12 years rhetoric. And I saw how terribly Taiwan did trying to go green like many other countries that tried to do this. Completely did not work, we ended up burning more coal because the gov was so inefficient.

Burping cows are more damaging to the climate than all the cars on this planet

Screenshot_20190513-194414_Google

1 Like

That’s nothing to do with global warming , it’s just idiotic policy making and lack of leadership.

But people aren’t taught about this stuff in schools so they are scrabbling around and making poor decisions collectively.
Then you’ve got a state that’s hell bent on increasing industrial production come what may.

1 Like