Why do "Republic of Taiwan" flags all look like Japan flag?

When I was designing my flag I thought of all the important things that happened to Taiwan. I didn’t intend to create a easy to draw one, because, as Portuguese, I cannot draw my own flag (except the kiddy scarlet/green with a yellow ball in the middle). That doesn’t make me like it less (although, for me the ancient monarchy flag is a lot nicer, because I do prefer white and blue). The dificulty in drawing the Portuguese shield is enourmous, as it is an extremelly detailed one, but the fact is that, no matter what, people relate more to the shield than to the rest of the flag (if you see any national team (any sport) they will bear the portuguese shield).

Problem in Taiwan, is that the only symbol in the flag is the KMT one, and so, identifying with it is basically identifying with the flag. That is why in many green rallies, you don’t see the R.O.C. flag, as they don’t identify themselves with the KMT. That is the biggest trouble of this country - people don’t identify themselves with what was suppose to be a national symbol.

At the protest (well, watching it on TV) I see a couple of apparently related flags. Does anybody know who is promoting them, and what they’re intended to be flags of?

(1) Three vertical stripes, green-white-green. In the middle of the white part, a green map of Taiwan.

(2) Three vertical stripes, white-red-white (or does this count as just one red stripe? hee hee) And in the middle of the red part, a white Taiwan map.

I always see these two together. Are they Republic of Taiwan flag proposals? (I suppose the red one would have to be the battle flag in that case, if they are not rival proposals.) Do they belong to one of the smaller political parties? Are they specific to the Chen protest? (But I think I’ve seen them before.)

Number One is actually quite passable, and would work as a national flag should the occasion arise. Its colors and design obviously “salute” the DPP flag, omitting mainly the cross (which was weird anyway, religion-wise).

Maybe they figure since the ROC flag incorporates the KMT flag, might as well have the ROT flag incorporate the DPP flag.

But it’s that darn map again. Perhaps the flag designers figure once they declare independence, those Fujian islands (Jinmen, Mazu) and Penghu are sure to be lost.

[quote=“Screaming Jesus”]At the protest (well, watching it on TV) I see a couple of apparently related flags. Does anybody know who is promoting them, and what they’re intended to be flags of?

(1) Three vertical stripes, green-white-green. In the middle of the white part, a green map of Taiwan.

(2) Three vertical stripes, white-red-white (or does this count as just one red stripe? hee hee) And in the middle of the red part, a white Taiwan map.

I always see these two together. Are they Republic of Taiwan flag proposals? (I suppose the red one would have to be the battle flag in that case, if they are not rival proposals.) Do they belong to one of the smaller political parties? Are they specific to the Chen protest? (But I think I’ve seen them before.)

Number One is actually quite passable, and would work as a national flag should the occasion arise. Its colors and design obviously “salute” the DPP flag, omitting mainly the cross (which was weird anyway, religion-wise).[/quote]

The first flag is the standard “Republic of Taiwan” flag among TI/ers. As far as TI/ers go, there is a large contingent of Taiwanese presbyterians among them, because TI is what they preach in Taiwan presbyterianism. Maybe that’s where the cross of the DPP flag comes from, I don’t know. Anyway, it’s supposed to symbolize Taiwan “bearing the cross” or Taiwan “at the crossroads.” The “Republic of Taiwan” flag is favored by TI/ers because it removes the “crossroads.”

The second is the flag of WUFI: World United Formosans for Independence, the umbrella group for hard-core TI/ers.

[quote=“mr_boogie”]The Republic of Formosa flag is not as representative and only establish links with the Qing empire…

It managed to issue stamps under the auspices of the republic.

[/quote]

I would dearly love to see one of those. I wonder how much one is worth.

well, probably the same as those in Italy when they misplaced Peru for a World Cup commemorative stamp…

[quote=“dearpeter”][quote=“mr_boogie”]The Republic of Formosa flag is not as representative and only establish links with the Qing empire…

It managed to issue stamps under the auspices of the republic.

[/quote]

I would dearly love to see one of those. I wonder how much one is worth.[/quote]

[color=red]I think perhaps this post is better placed in the Culture and History section.[/color]

10 years ago, a block of four went for US$600.

Of interest in the first stamp on the left is the overprint. The value has been changed to what appears to be “100” from its original value. The cancellation chop is wonderfully placed with the full word “REPUBLIC” visible.

Just for fun, here’s a sample of an “ad hoc” stamp from the time when Taiwan was a province of the Qing Empire.

The red rectangle with imperial yellow border represents the fraternity of the descendants of the Yellow Emperor, the Chinese people

The blue disc represents the free nation of the Republic of China as a manifestation of the love of the nation and liberty

The white 12-pointed solar star honors the historical origin of the Republic of China and at the same time transcending political parties. It stands for democracy and equality