Why does a foreigner married to a local not automatically get an APRC?

I am married to a local Taiwanese, (I’m a British citizen btw) and on my ID card it says, ‘ARC’ instead of APRC, why?

You need to jump through a few hoops after five years of ARC’s to get an APRC.

To learn more about your marriage-based ARC, look up “JFRV”.

1 Like

These pages may help.

How does a foreigner renew or apply for an ARC?(Serial No. 0902)
https://www.immigration.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=1090287&ctNode=30085&mp=2

How does a foreigner apply for an APRC ?(Serial No. 0903)
https://www.immigration.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=1090288&ctNode=30085&mp=2

Applying for an APRC: foreign nations who has legally and continuously resided in the State for five years and has stayed for more than one hundred and eighty-three days each year, or the alien spouse and/or children of a national with valid household registration in the Taiwan Area who have legally resided in the State for ten years, during which period the spouse and/or children have physically resided in the State for more than one hundred and eighty-three days each year for at least five years. An application for APRC pursuant to above shall be submitted within two years after the period of stay and residence meets the requirement.

…Thanks yyy & tando, well, looks like I’m eligible as of right now. I’ve been married near on 10 years, but just found out that ARC is written on my ID, never took notice of my ID actually.

Yeah, you need to apply for the aprc. It does not come automatically.

…Btw tando, first link you gave me is dead, second ok.

…I think they should automatically change from ARC to APRC when a foreigner marries a local here, not have to pay, but then again, it’s money making for them i suppose.

Thanks, I put a correct one.

…anyway, off to bed now, Gnite.

Yeah, I also feel like I should get free stuff. I would totally like a free passport from every single country in the world.

For someone who claims to have stayed on this island for ten years, you appear to know shockingly little.

@OP: please take a close look at your ARC. Towards the bottom, there is a line stating your residence purpose (居留事由). In your case that is “依親” followed by “妻” and your wife’s name. Your purpose of residence and right to remain on this island is entirely dependent on your marriage to your spouse. An APRC is entirely different, as it essentially gives you unconditional residence rights.

Long time no see, Hsinhai! :grinning:

Remember to avoid personal attacks, so I won’t have to edit or delete any posts. :peace_symbol: :rainbow:

Apologies, but posts like that crack me up. We all would like to be things a certain way, but this is a forum for advise within the realm of reality. Not wishful thinking. Also, a simple forum search would have pointed OP into the right direction. :wink:

2 Likes

Eh… have you renewed that ARC in these 10 years?

2 Likes

…We’re not talking about passport, we’re talking about changing a visa only! Why not change over for free, I have ALREADY paid for the ARC visa, if for example, I have another 10 months on my ARC, why should I have to pay again to start over from another year? Think before you talk, before you type!

…of course I have, it is renewed every 3 years! so only 3 times I would look at it, Little chance on that right?!

Eaa…like I said, “I never bothered to check closely” so why would I need to check it out if I didn’t notice in the first place! Jesus, some people. Yes, I know I can look it up, but getting hands on experience from foreigners who have changed over from ARC to APRC is a better approach than going through the rule book don’t you agree?

Uh,arc and visa are different…

the procedure is strait forward. I prefer going to the official information, when my situation is not a special case.

Without a visa, you can’t get an ARC, so it’s connected. I just say that way figuratively.

When we first get ARC, we need a visa, but after that, we don’t need visa to renew ARC or change it to APRC.

…I prefer both! Learn a lot more.