Why does Taiwan have so many weird foreigners?

But still, the chances of meeting an odd foreigner are slim compared to running into an odd local. :wink:

3 Likes

Yeah, but that’s surely just a numbers game.

Indeed. The ratio of British people to normal people is fairly low in Canada, but here at Forumosa it’s a bit higher. :smile:

“Weird” is very subjective. Different? Eccentric? The OP’s question is kind of weird.

In fact …https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awi14wDTxNw

Perhaps we should establish some sort of typology of weirdness. You’ve got your bog-standard, hard-drinking foreigners who bed questionable partners. You’ve got your undiagnosed crazies (representing a wide spectrum of classifications under the DSM-5). You’ve got your long-timers who learn Taiwanese and take up some more or less eccentric cause or interest. Anything else?

One thing Taiwan doesn’t have (at least none that I’ve met) are the martial arts dudes like you find in Japan and Korea. I mean the competitors are fine (and admirable in my opinion), but I’m talking about the poomsae (form) guys who think it’s the real thing, and nunchucks and throwing stars guys and gals. You do get guys here in Taiwan who take up cycling and then end up do nothing but. Freaks.

1 Like

Trust me there are such types here in Taipei.

Guy

It occurs to me that the “Charisma Man” model–nebbish Western male moves to East Asia, where he proves an unexpected hit with local employers as well as the ladies–is not fully represented by any of my proposed categories.

EDIT: On the other hand, Charisma Man is not necessarily a “weird” foreigner.

Don’t forget the fucking DJs…land on the rock and suddenly they’re Pete Tong, throwing down sick choons at all you can drink ladies nites.

6 Likes

And that’s why I’m sometimes ashamed to admit I’m an American. Of course being Taiwanese can sometimes help…

Why would you need to feel shame because of someone else’s action that you did not have any part in?

Just because one person did something stupid in the heat of passion doesn’t have any bearings on what it means to be American.

Maybe you should just be ashamed to be a human. So many people doing stupid shit every day.

5 Likes

And this is precisely why I choose to identify as a dairy cow. :grin:

3 Likes

Greta would give you a thumbs up!

I believe people are for the greater part a product of their environment.

1 Like

Possibly. But every person has the power to choose how to react to any situation.

A person could decide to get all bent out of shape because 7-11 doesn’t have their favorite candy bar in stock.
A person could choose to remain calm in the midst of a terrifying storm.
The choice is always ours to make.

It’s ketchup that’s the issue. If they run out of that it’s Molotov cocktail time.

2 Likes

At least being evicted is not “they wouldn’t sell me a shitburger”

2 Likes

Oh yeah, I remember now. The lack of ketchup set up the refusal to serve a burger incident.