Why Don't Leaves Change Color or Fall Off Trees in Yangmingshan?

“Bald cypress trees beside Lipi Lake in Yilan County”

Fake trees, there’s no such a thing as a bald tree, there are bald eagles tho.
Fake lake!

Technically, for (perennial, deciduous) trees in a native (temperate and colder) climate zone, a “preset” combination of dryness and cold weather will trigger the system to interrupt the flow of nutrients to the leaves. Chlorophyll is the first to go, so, interestingly, the leaves don’t actually turn red and yellow, they just stop “being green”, so the new colour is actually the effect of other pigments that are normally overpowered by the chlorophyll. This is required, since the leaves, which normally contain a large amount of water, would be destroyed in a freezing situation, causing irreparable damage to the tree’s circulation system. The trees then basically “hibernate” until the temperature and moisture rise back up to springtime levels, and new leaves are produced.
FWIW, conifers get around this by storing their nutrients in needles, which contain vastly less water per unit than leaves, and are thus able to maintain their integrity through the winter conditions, remaining, as Ms. Streisand would say, “evergreen”.

2 Likes

Well its in Taiwan Travel for starters. Shd prb be in Living in Taiwan.

Isn’t there a section for

Local Deciduous Arboreals (not) Entering Annual Temperate-Based Seasonal Dormancy
?

What kind of Mickey Mouse outfit are they running here??

Yangmingshan is primarily a travel destination?

What was going on in the beef noodle thread anyway?

Shall I hold this topic in contempt?

Now, that makes sense.

Wait until Fred shows.

:nsfw: AF

Maybe this thread should be combined with Fred’s tree thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv9847Wxj1s

I don’t, like, actually know, but I can offer two guesses:

(1) Maybe someone wanted to showcase @jesus80’s prophesying skills.

(2) Some folk here seem to take noodles pretty seriously.

I didn’t even consider that angle. God, to think of all the restaurants I’ve badmouthed on here. Good thing this isn’t Facebook.

That’s a tough one. People review restaurants on this board, and they sometimes give negative reviews. I don’t recall anyone here having legal hassles because of what they wrote about a restaurant, but I haven’t paid attention to everything on the board.

I suspect noodles were just the catalyst for the episode reported in that old thread.

But who knows?

Now that this thread is 100% offtopic, everybody talking about noodles and posting funny videos, I think that it belongs in The Temp.

2 Likes

Nah man it’s all coming around to a big connecting Loop now.

A Textile Company Is Making Low-Calorie Noodles From Trees
https://www.google.com.tw/amp/s/gizmodo.com/a-textile-company-is-making-low-calorie-noodles-from-tr-1743379524/amp

1 Like

Well, I guess that’s one way of getting your daily fiber…

You could get the same thing just by chomping on some wood.

trees everywhere

1 Like