Why is nobody talking about the labour protests?

Taiwan had a very marked demographic transition, but yea thats not the same thing as the baby boom

Why is it laughable? Its a concept used all across the world.

1 Like

Because it refers to a peak in total fertility rates in North America, and sometimes Europe. Many countries did not have that peak. In the case of Taiwan the main trend is a transition from high to low fertility. Taiwan didnt do this:

When is Taiwan’s peak?

Anyway, its common parlance, even in Taiwan. Its not a reference to the boom itself.

The general trend in Taiwan has been from high fertility to low fertility. Demographers usually call it the ‘demographic transition’ and is a pattern that is generally observed across the world. The baby boom is usually referred to as specific to North America.

Seems a fair enough term to me: a boom in the population following World War II. From Wikipedia, emphasis added:

During the 20th century the population of Taiwan rose more than sevenfold, from about 3 million in 1905 to more than 22 million by 2001. This high growth was caused by a combination of factors, very high fertility rates up to the 1960s, and low mortality rates, and a surge in population as the Chinese Civil War ended, and the Kuomintang (KMT) forces retreated, bringing an influx of 1.2 to 2 million soldiers and civilians to Taiwan in 1948–1949.[3][4] Consequently, the natural growth rate was very rapid, especially in the late 1940s and 1950s, with an effective annual growth rate as high as 3.68% during 1951–1956. Including the Kuomintang forces, which accounted in 1950 for about 25% of all persons on Taiwan, immigration of mainland Chinese (now approximately 13% of the present population) at the end of the 1940s was a major factor in the high population growth of Taiwan.

It’s used at least occasionally in discussions about Taiwan.

2 Likes

Besdies the KMT aspect, that would usually be referred to as the demographic transition model:

https://goo.gl/images/7zMtyZ

The Baby boom was different. It involved temporarily increasing North American fertility rates that had already been low due to industrialization. It hasnt happened in Taiwan. Taiwan was not industrialized yet at that time.

Although I just did a search on the trusty google scholar and yes you are right there are papers that refer to Taiwan’s ‘baby boom’.

This is Taiwan. Seems similar to North America

1 Like

Taiwans starts very high and comes down.

The US starts low goes a bit higher and then comes back down again.

Actually there was a huge baby boom in Taiwan in the late 50s and 60s. I think it’s really not that different here, Orange has posted the graph.

It’s not. The boomers refer to those born right after WWII. The most important characteristic about this generation is the background of this specific period of time. It was when the US and Canada were experiencing a dramatic economic boom. The babies born between the 40s and the 60s were born into enormous wealth and extremely easy housing, thus the term is widely associated with privilege and affluence.

It is also used in Japan and Western Europe because those regions also experienced gigantic economic expansion in the immediate aftermath of the war, but not elsewhere. The economic miracles of Taiwan and Korea happened a generation later. Those in their 60s and above were born into Africa level of poverty, then things started to look up. So no, the old folks here are not boomers.

I think you are wrong, it refers to a population boom rather than economic boom.

2 Likes

In this context, the boomers refer to the population boom born in the economic boom.

UK didn’t have economic explosion after the war and we still refer to the period as the baby boom. Or maybe you are right. Its irrelevant to the discussion beforehand, which was an interesting one.

1 Like

In the ol contry they do refer to boomers, even milenials - that last one a stretch, but anyways. The post WWII generation is still teh one in command, or their descendents. The young people, even though a majority, is kept under the foot, by violent repression mostly, ignorance too. The key is still who has the money, teh means of production, who owns land. Young peopkle have debts and credit cards, no matter how fancy their iPhones and land Rovers and lamborghinis.

The civil wars started after WWII, and if it wasn’t for the external debt, even with that going on, there was such influx of “economic aid” that the whole system just became hooked…until after teh Cold War Central America became irrelevant and no more money came that way. Now we have drug money laundering as this steady transfusion instead. The bleeding black hole of “external debt” -an updated colonial tax- takes away 60 to 80% of our GDP. Nevertheless, the economic charts, up to this day, show growth. Therefore, I would say those numbers lies in terms of human development.

Taiwan showed great “growth” -8%- during the worst years of the dictatorship. That does not mean people lived great. Remember the tainted rice tragedy? Radiated rebar? And many others.

i am also agree with your opinion, because these are the people who do all our works so why should we not standing with them for their fight to get their rights.

I’m not good with numbers, especially economic and financial numbers, so maybe there’s something here that I don’t get, and maybe the minus signs below somehow indicate a boom (or at least don’t negate it).

The second column below is nominal GDP in trillions, the third is real GDP in trillions, and the fourth (which I’ve boldfaced) is GDP growth:

U.S. GDP by Year, Compared to Recessions and Events

One of the things that prompted me to go looking was my recollection from reading my dad’s memoir. If I remember right, he seemed to have some difficulties getting a decent, steady job when he got out of the Navy right after World War II. Another thing was some dim recollection or a sort of proverbial idea that wars are often characterized by frenzied activity, and that the end of a war is often followed by a letdown.

By that logic there is a baby boom going on in Sub-Saharan Africa right now.

The fertility rate in Taiwan had always been high, as birth rates are historically high prior to industrialization everywhere.

What logic ?
Who cares about what whether it’s the same boomer s as the US.

There are a truckload of old people here now due to the baby boom decades past and that cohort is going to expand really rapidly now as the youth numbers drop.

3 Likes

Yea, but that is not what the ‘baby boom’ means. The ‘baby boom’ was an increase in fertility rates in industrialized countries after the war. Or if you want to make it more general, sure call it an increase in fertility rates without any reference to the place or time period.

However the truckload of old people in Taiwan now was not caused by that. They are the result of a sudden fall in death rates brought about due to the miracles of industrialization that allowed more babies to survive into adulthood. The birth rate had always been high. What changed was the death rate dropped with industrialization. And its called the demographic transition.
Its demographics 101

wikipedia has a nice page on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographic_transition

What happened in industrialised countries following from the war was that this general trend of falling birth rates reversed temporarily, that was the ‘baby boom’. However for places like Taiwan where the birth rates had yet to fall it makes little sense to talk about a baby boom. The problem of an aging population following from the demographic transition is a much more universal problem then the little blip on the screen that is the ‘baby boom’. The aging population is a global problem that is going to affect everywhere eventually.