Why only English teaching jobs?!

Every time when I try to ask help from my Taiwanese friends to get works, all the choices out there seem to be English teaching.

Honestly, I’m not the type who enjoys telling people how to say Apple correctly for ten times.
Where can I find jobs other than English teaching in Taiwan?

Someone sent this survey to me:

I kinda felt angry for the lack of job diversity.
Or I’m just too dumb and slow to find other opportunities.

Just feel like to vent…Frustrated.

well first of all, teaching is not telling someone how to say apple 10 times, with the amount of teachers and former teachers I suspect are on this forum this isn’t a good way for anyone to help you.

Do you have any skills that can get you a job in another field? Can you speak chinese and read and write at least at a basic level. If you can’t even speak chinese, don’t come to a country that speaks it and complain why you can’t find a job doing something beside teaching the only thing useful here that you know.

I think there’s been plenty of posts on this subject before; people who know more about it than me seem to generally say that there are jobs other than English teaching out there, but they’re few and far between and typically badly paid. Bearing in mind that the friends you’ve already asked know more about you and care more for you than a horde of anonymous strangers on an internet discussion board, it’s unlikely that you’ll get more valuable advice than you’ve already had.

Without wishing to be rude about it, maybe there’s some truth in this. Maybe teaching English would be a good career for you, why dismiss it if you can’t think of anything better to do?

From the way he writes I doubt OP is an native English-speaker, which means there isn’t much of a career for him teaching English in Taiwan anyway (or anywhere else, his knowledge of English doesn’t seem sufficient to make a career out of it).

OP, there are a million threads and posts about non teaching jobs in Taiwan, here, on reddit, on Facebook… do some research before you start asking people to spell things out for you, and try and figure out what you can do and what you have to offer.
104.com.tw is a good place to look, you don’t even really need much Chinese, there are hundreds of jobs posts entirely in English - the jobs offered there are usually not of the highest quality, but it’s a good place to start.

Ouch! I hope you’re right about that…

I guess non-native speaker cannot make a living at all from teaching English.
And only people from English speaking countries can use English right.
So the rest of the world depends on these people to speak right English.

Thank you for the feedback.
I knew I had to look harder and longer than native English speakers, who are the only people who can legitimately teach English, which is the right as well as the privilege of native-speakers.
I cannot overcome my inherent short-coming as a non-native-speakers, who are destined to be subordinated to native-speakers.

I just want to make enough money for a ticket returning home.
I just try my best to help myself.

I was suggesting that you should teach English - you say that your friends have advised you to do so. Why make decisions based on what you read here rather than what you get from your friends?

1 Like

My friend, who is local person, teaches children’s English for a living.
I don’t like her lifestyle.
Local English teachers work overtime while foreign workers get the decent pay.
Telling her my true opinion will hurt her feeling.
Strangers are more honest.

Maybe English teaching differs from what I have in mind.
I just wish for more diverse job opportunities, and I feel Taiwan deserves more diverse international crowds. Perhaps the world is following the Brexit example made by the UK: the borders are closed, cultural/job/racial diversity is diminishing.

Of all the expats I know here I don’t know a single English teacher, they’re all academics,engineers or work in business of some kind. In fact the only English teacher I know is Taiwanese.
What employable skills do you have?

I’m not sure that’s true but you’re entitled to your opinions, you seem to be in a fairly negative frame of mind so maybe get some Taiwan beers in tonight and get a proper drunken melancholy going. I think you need to start by thinking about what career you want and then pursuing the necessary qualifications or experience to get there, rather than hoping that some diverse job opportunities are going to fall in your lap.

Lucky you…

I’ve felt much better after the weekend. Thank you.

As someone with Asperger syndrome. I have poor people skills.
I don’t know how to acquire feasible information through people around me.
Sometimes I’m not even sure whether people will stay connected with me, in long term.
I have no idea how to sustain any long-term relationship with others.
My trust in the world is quite feeble. I have tried really hard to transcend my limits.

I will see what I can do. Thank you.

its not following brexit, things have always been like that here.

how did you get here in the first place? you should know that the main job opportunity’s in taiwan are for teaching english, and for native speakers at that. how do you even make it to taiwan looking for work without this information?

It may sound silly to you.
I chose to be here to experience life.
I just wanted to go somewhere comparatively unknown, to be forgotten for a while.
I didn’t think too much. I thought the living expenses in Asia are cheap, in general.
And I didn’t moderate my expenditure in Taipei. One thing leads to another, I guess.

ok well there you go, its a lesson learned. doing some research is important for this sort of thing.

If you have Asperger’s, it’s possible that you have some strengths you could use, too. If you happen to be the kind of person who hyper-focuses on things, see if you can get interested in learning Chinese well. Most of the classes in Taiwan focus on memorization, which can be an advantage if your mind happens to work that way.

You may also find that being in Taiwan, your social skills will be, or at least seem, better. I don’t know if you look Asian or not, but if you don’t, that’s an advantage for social stuff. People see right away that you are not a local, and they know you will not think or act exactly as they expect. You can just come out and ask what you should say or what you should do in a given situation. Little by little you can collect a set of “the rules” and you will pretty much know what you should do or say. Most foreigner interactions with Chinese end up being fairly formulaic, so you may find that you don’t feel as Aspie in Taiwan as you do in your home country.

The only thing you really need to teach English in Taiwan legally ( for most people, since I’m assuming you’re not married to a Taiwanese ) is a passport from an officially English speaking country and some sort of degree. As far as just making money by teaching English, those are not required, though the legality of that varies. For other jobs, the question is why should a Taiwanese company hire you, since your language isn’t as good as theirs. So think about what you have that they don’t. Doing business, for example making phone calls back to your home country, you can again pretty much memorize scripts, because what is said will be very similar each time. I think you may find that the communation problems you have at home are at least different in Taiwan, and maybe more manageable.

1 Like