Why would you do this?

I don’t understand why to be called ‘waiguoren’ is to be excluded. It is just a fact, and to identify some person. I don’t feel a difference between the woman and the waiguoren. At my kids’ school, I’m often referred as ‘waiguoren’ , because it is the easiest way they identify me. I don’t feel I’m excluded.

you don’t need anyone’s approval to take a break!

Says who? You? I was not aware you were the keeper of Earth’s all inclusive book of politeness for all cultures and socities. Again, it is you, yourself making it rude by saying so. If you dont like people in your work environment using that term, tell them. Because in their culture, where you reside, it is not offensive. Offense can only be taken not given.

Im not. If anything you are by saying it is an offensive term.

1 Like

Gulp

Please don’t hurt me.

I met many taiwanese in germany. Long terms, short terms - students. And all of em complaint, germans ignore em and adding how easy foreigners have in taiwan(actually very ignorant state).

They complaining no dinners with collegues, no chit chatting at job, hard to get apartment, slow government, no office speaks english, expensive slow service etc and they say reason for all this is cause they are taiwanese. Well is just germany, they treat everyone like this.

Those things are the same for all foreigners in germany. Germans have some foreigner friends, they pick up friends by common hobbies, interest. I see many taiwanese simple not being able to adjust, even they are here for 20 years.

I think taiwanese in germany would not like it to be called foreigners or point out look asian walkin there, look asian entered. Every day, all the time. How would they like ? welcome to germany, do you like germany, when you go home?

I took my taiwanese wife to hometown, village of my mum in eastern europe. Not west anymore, etnically homogeneous environment, but no one point out look asian walking. I was suprised, locals did not give a flying fuck. No strange looks. Some ask how is live in taiwan, some even heard for taiwan before,how she like europe, is she feel comfortable. Many ask if she has already EU passport, and when she can receive it.

And yea i have a beef wit it. Taiwanese want full immigrant rights when they move abroad but yet refuse to give equal rights to immigrants in own country. And they truely believe foreigners in taiwan having easier

5 Likes

so you would label chinese teachers ‘foreigner’ back home would you?

that wouldn’t happen.

which brings me back to my original point, this thinking isn’t going to change so i prefer laowai or ado-a. at least its sort of a nick name not just a cold foreigner labelling.

Chinese teachers would be recognized as foreigner or Chinese immigrant in my country.

Can we all just agree that there’s no such thing as racism in this world?

Readers might be trying to figure out how long of a pole to touch this one with, ha ha.
How about the concept that racism likely will always exist in all cultures to some degree or another.

1 Like

Learn Chinese and live here for more than a few months and watch the news and read social media and the picture will be a little clearer for you. That’s the best I can suggest

White person/teacher caught up in scandal with student/girlfriend or whatever and this is splattered on the news … the ‘waiguoren’ this, the ‘waiguoren’ that. And far worse derogatory terms.

But you’ve taken it upon yourself to keep the locals down and don’t see any progress or hope here. God complex? I’m convinced they want to change and join first world main stream society

1 Like

It’s like if 2 dogs came out of a love motel, smoking a cig. So what.
But if a cat and a dog came out of a love motel, now that’s something to read about (for Taiwanese media).

The Taiwanese media do report on Taiwanese teachers and their underage Taiwanese students. Quite a lot in fact.

2 Likes

Re: waiguoren. To be honest, I have caught myself pointing out foreigners this way to my wife. Probably been here too long.

3 Likes

I’ve been here 13 years, I’m fine with Chinese and I avoid Taiwanese news like the plague.

The picture is quite clear. You and I just decide to view said picture differently. If you want to live inside a paranoid mind thinking every Taiwanese person is out to mock, isolate and belittle you with “wai guo ren” , have at it. There is an entirely different picture that is much more pleasant. Hope you find it some day.

Will keep looking thanks. And I too hope that you one day can view Taiwanese as equal evolved human beings.

Keep the locals down? Listen to yourself. It is like you are saying you are above them and they must rise to your enlightened status of all respected “non outside country person”. I think the god complex is looking at you in the mirror buddy.

Progress and hope? For what? To be not called a person from a different country? Ha! Whatever man.

Progess and hope? I hope that the economy gets stronger, that Taiwanese find their identy and get stronger as a nation, that the pollution gets cleaned up, that education becomes less test centered, that democracy here keeps its foothold and China peacefully leaves Taiwan alone. That SE Asian foreign workers get treated better and kids get healthier breakfasts here…that is the progress I hope for.

it sounds like you are saying the western way is better than taiwanese way, and taiwanese have an ability to improve them westernized. I feel taiwanese way is just different from the western way, and they are equal.

4 Likes

Bingo.

Dont agree it’s not black and white like that.

2 Likes

All of you, stop triggering me !!!

1 Like

What is the western way?

1 Like

Black and white like what?