Why would you do this?

Group urges rights for ‘stateless kids’

MIGRANT WORKERS:There are about 1,300 stateless children facing urgent problems, such as lack of access to health and medical services, the Legal Aid Foundation said

Is it THEIR country THEIR culture THEIR way too?

yes, it is taiwanese country taiwanese culture taiwanese way and imo one of taiwanese big probrems, on the contrary, I don’t know what is wrong that they call all of non S/E Asian foreigners waiguoren.

Btw, are we talking on migrant workers? Stateless children are not foreigners, and migrant workers are not called waiguoren.

Or is your issue that they treat foreign blue collar workers and white collar workers differently? Then I might agree with you on many points.

http://www.ecct.com.tw/file/Publications/201711151825361372.pdf

I guess these laowais don’t abide by the ‘it’s their country, their culture, their ways’ ideology. No, in fact they stick their noses into every detail of Taiwan life every chance they get…awful people

1 Like

Here’s another bunch of colonialists butting their noses into Taiwan culture and ways…
Interesting the chapter on ‘Human Resources’…suspiciously similar to the amendments William Lai made to the whole overtime debacle :face_with_monocle:

I like laowai too

1 Like

I like 外星人.

2 Likes

I just call myself a 台北人. Hell, I’ve lived here longer than anywhere else.

bullet to the head would be fine.

1 Like

It’s perfectly rational when you consider the toxic fumes. Remember to keep the office well ventilated! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Any foreigner (except, I suppose, one with multiple nationalities, or a stateless person as you pointed out) qualifies as a 外籍人士 in the most formal contexts.

I think most Taiwanese aren’t aware of how life is for foreigners in Taiwan. If they’ve never been directly affected by work permit regulations and so on, why would they know the rules?

They probably don’t know the foreign teachers at the kindergartens they send their kids to are (in many/most cases) working illegally, unless they’re the police who are happily pretending not to know. And even then, they probably don’t know the education department is also pretending not to know that it can swoop in and collect fines for lack of educare qualifications.

Westerners also tend to lack understanding of the challenges facing foreigners in their countries, though they may have more awareness in general, because the issues get more exposure in the media (overall if not also per capita).

Many are not aware but the civil servants and legislators are aware, fucking pricks. They are about to lose the Vatican the last European ally (ironically even though they threw passports at that lot ) and got openly insulted by the Filipino president yesterday and they still treat immigrants like this.
This country is in a more precarious state every year.

2 Likes

Interesting.
Certainly back in the old days, most locals assumed we were all here illegally, and were generally surprised to learn that there even WAS such a thing as legal residency.
On several occasions, mostly back then, I’ve had locals, in the midst of a conflict altercation, usually from a fender bender or something, kind of threaten to call the cops, figuring it would back me down. When I would cheerfully agree, even offering to make the call meself, they almost always changed their tune dramatically to suddenly being cooperative and reasonable.

1 Like

I still get that sometimes. I am not a teacher, so most people think I have to do visa runs all the time and are generally surprised that I am STILL in Taiwan. “Don’t you have to leave every 90 days?”

2 Likes

Yeah, but that was before ratification of the Interplanetary Covenant on the Harmonious Coexistence of Sentient Life Forms…
:alien: :cat: :dragon: :mouse: :sunflower: :elephant: :dog: :squid: :evergreen_tree: :sauropod: :fairy: :broccoli: :person_in_lotus_position:

I suppose it depends on how many foreigners they’ve chatted with about life and stuff. If Taiwanese have fewer random conversations with foreigners than in the past (as has been reported in other threads), they have fewer opportunities to learn about visa runs.

Then again, I have no statistics for this. :idunno:

I usually get the opposite. “What? You’ve been here this long and you’re not a citizen?” “What?!? You have to give up your original citizenship to become an ROC citizen?!?”

4 Likes

Followed by a “If I had your passport I wouldn’t want to give it up either!” :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yeah, most locals would probably think westerners willing to trade their passport for an ROC one are insane.

The problem is not only to give up the passport there are some stupid restrictions on residency as well which are a big barrier (I am presently blocked due to this issue …I cannot use the interim refugee passport to travel overseas butI need to travel overseas for my job to support my family so what can I do. Probably have to go back to my JFRV soon?!?) .

Anyway the average guy on the street doesn’t give a shit about this stuff of course.

1 Like

I quite envy you on this aspect

Even if I talk about the issue in a calm manner, and I never raise it on my own, (it is more when those who have the dual are complaining about US taxation and how they don’t vote for POTUS because it is “useless”…) the usual type of answers I get from my relatives are more like

“you criticize my country, (I feel personally threatened), we welcome you so you CAN NOT criticize my country, it is impolite”
The breaking harmony stuff, I guess

The possibility of blatant unfairness is of no concern, quite secondary at best.