Why would you do this?

This.

When I explain the double standard to people patiently, they’re usually able to recognize it for what it is, but it’s not something they’d notice on their own. It’s just not on their radar (whereas maximizing their own personal advantage with no thought for others always is).

老外is right on par with 大鼻子。 I don’t take offense especially when kids say 外國人。 Kids say what they are thinking and I usually respond with some Chinese greeting and English practice for them. If I lived in France, I’d learn French. Living in Taiwan, I’ve learned Chinese and it goes a long way toward reducing misunderstandings and creating goodwill.
One time I was in HK on business with a colleague whose American but born in China. She was asking for directions from people she perceived to be a local HKers and they responded with “Do you speak English? We’re from California.” :smile:
I was in Costco the other day with a local friend and I said one word in Chinese and the demo person exclaims that my Chinese is fantastic. I say thanks but then later joke with my friend that if she was in Costco in the US, no one would make a big deal out of her saying 你好。 She’d be just ordinary there.
There really is the saving face and harmony thing going on here. I’m not here to fix Taiwan but I hope that I make a good impression and learn some things. I’ve made some lifelong friends here.

That’s unlikely to happen. It’s complicated, let’s just say that the Vatican wouldn’t accept a more religiously tolerant Taiwanese catholic hierarchy being subordinated to a highly restrictive Chinese catholic hierarchy.

What did he say? The province thing? I thought that was just his lack of awareness on China’s official name.

Besides it’s not like anyone really gaf about what the president of the Philippines thinks.

I feel like people are making way too big a deal over being called “foreigner” or “laowai” or whatnot. When only 2-3% of your population are foreigners, chances are the locals wouldn’t be very sensitive about issues like race or nationality. It seems pretty ridiculous to be offended by such terms, but I guess different strokes for different folks.

He openly insulted Taiwan calling it Taipei and saying it’s not important. He also said he wanted Philippines to be a province of China if it got more investment :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

The Vatican is going to sign a deal with China very soon and will terminate diplomatic relations with Taiwan.

Who is making a big deal about ‘being called’ a “foreigner”’or “laowai”? I must have read another thread. Unless we’re still on the silly topic of kiddies blurting out ‘foreigner’ which is a wrong trait learned from parents but a very minor issue in most people’s lives surely. Who cares if 2-3% are foreigners, I remember living in towns and small cities in Canada where there where 2 to 3 black people let alone 2-3%

Again who is offended? And more importantly what are you talking about specifically?

:joy::joy::joy:

Good to see you still smiling and having fun lulus…I wasn’t too sure you’d be back in this thread after receiving the Jordon Peterson treatment :rofl:

It seems to me that he meant Taipei as in the authorities. Like people use Beijing and Moscow to refer to China and Russia all the time.

And his comment sounds way more offensive to the Philippines itself than to Taiwan.

Allegedly. They might sign a deal with China (of some sort), but they are unlikely to terminate diplomatic relations with Taiwan.

A bunch of people in this thread? How did this topic get more than 160 replies then? Isn’t it because a bunch of people are arguing about how they hate being labeled as foreigners?

That is not comparable at all. Even in extremely white towns in Canada or America people are still aware of the existence of those of different backgrounds because media. When a country has only 2-3% of population being foreigners, they wouldn’t be too informed about racial or ethnic issues. That’s the same everywhere. You can try Japan or Korea, the situation would be similar.

I stopped reading after that sentence

‘Being called’…’labeled as’… gotta be more specific!

On the street by some 3-yr old? By a bunch of thugs? In the media? On Apple Daily with a good sprinkling of xenophobia and persecution thrown in? (Don’t make me dig examples up), in the work place where it’s highly unprofessional and they DO know better, in institutions? And so on…what are we really talking about in this thread…a bunch of things that all got jumbled together

Please don’t feed the trolls.

3 Likes

In fact you are the troll. You have nothing to add to anything, can’t debate me on any of the points in the thread so what do you do but cry “troll”

Pathetic

1 Like

There was a fun thread on troll. Anyway, I like this kind of threads.

I partially agree with you on that “foreigner-laowai” stuff.
Again yes for the most part they mean nothing bad in using this kind of terms. We really really get it.

Honestly and personally I don’t really care being called 外國人, 老外, 外國朋友 or whatever. I also really don’t care about being asked for my 英文名字, even if technically I don’t have any. Yes apparently and in principle it sounds a bit ridiculous to be offended about that. It is no big deal.

BUT the issue is them having a very high level of “snowflakism”, you perfectly know a good number of them may get easily offended, hurt, “lose face” and notably when it is about their nationality and race.
They can be very very demanding in terms of respect on what you have to say and what you can’t, and on when you can or can’t.
It is their country, their rules, well all right !
Problem is they hardly do the same kind of effort in return. And VERY FAR FROM IT sometimes… offending them, even in the slightest way can be a declaration of war for some of them, you should ALWAYS be careful, never criticize anything, you are and always will be only a guest.
In return possibility of offending you is often nothing, you peanuts, they don’t even try.

It is too often a one way road, and I instinctively feel it is one of the reason there are so many foreigners who focus and constantly complain about this “Foreigner labelling”.
YES it is their country, NO they don’t have to adapt to every kind of foreigners and ALL their differences, but just showing they can do a little better, just make this little effort. It is not much really ! but so essential in giving the impression the “welcoming” is not superficial.

It is a matter of principle and showing basic mutual respect.

also…
“My way or the highway ?”
Ok 台灣朋友, but if business people leave and go to some other place they find more hospitable, if mixed families with their KIDS do the same, and finally if/when one day, the US loses some grips because of the rising of someone else on the Asia pacific or simply focus on some other priorities, well, don’t come and cry like a snowflake ! It is no big deal…
The “You were only 2-3 fcking percent, we didn’t notice you, sorry sorry. We only noticed when it was good material for our shtrag newspapers, sorry sorry” may not work.

Cat of the day thread is really fun and it may help people be less nervous!

1 Like

I recommend a treatment session for those getting too hot and bothered

I guess people here are just enjoying this thread.

+1 for me! :rofl:

I have absolutely no idea what this thread is about. But whatever it is, I’m against it.

1 Like

Got spooked did ya? Recommend one hour in the Cat of the Day room