Why you should see the Vagina Monologues

I saw the play tonight and while I think that it was well performed, I was very dissapointed in the play’s content. For the record I am a strong Western woman who is very confident with her sexuality. I’m also extremly concerned with violence against women issues in the world.

I had high expectations for the play, but unfortunately it wasn’t shocking or enlightening at all. I found it to be quite boring and preachy. It seemed very out of date actually. Most of the “monologues” sounded like the same things that I heard in my Women’s studies 101 course back in 1994. Lesbianism, menstruation, dominatrixs, rape, clitoris, orgasms, the word c*nt. Are these ideas really so shocking to people in 2006? I’m really tired of feminism being reduced to sexuality and victimization.

Also, while I feel a great deal of sympathy for the comfort women who suffered at the hands of the Japanese army in WWII, Prime Minister Koizumi offered a letter of apology and monetary compensation to the victims back in 2001, which was rejected by the majority of them. Japan lost the war. They were decimated by the atomic bomb and were forced to build up an entirely new government. Japan and Korea (where the majority of comfort women were from) signed a treaty in 1965 agreeing that all WWII claims have been settled finally and completely. It’s good to bring international attention to wartime violence against women, but aren’t there more current pressing issues to focus on?

How about the fact that women are trafficked and sold into prostitution right here in Taiwan, TODAY? Why is that not mentioned in the play? I want to know what can be done about that important issue! Everyone knows that Japan did evil things during WWII. Japan has conveniently been the scapegoat of Asia for more than half a century. Is it really necessary to continue to focus on WWII, when so many other atrocities are being commited against women in Asia this very second? In fact, the only mention about Taiwanese women in the play was the “xiao jie” moan, which made fun of Taiwanese women’s sexuality.

I left the play feeling disappointed and angry. It’s good that so many woman gathered to bring light to very important issues, but it’s unfortunate that the issues that the Vagina Monologues focus on are tired and cliched. What a shame!