Windsurfing

I used to windsurf and would like to continue in Taiwan. I live in Tainan, and currently don’t have a rig or transport. The club here implied I could pay 7000/year and use their beginner equipment and store a board etc. of my own there should I wish. So…is there another alternative to this plan, and secondly what’s a good place to buy equipment in southern Taiwan.

Also if anyone’s windsurfing in southern Taiwan currently, would love to join up with you.

Thanks
Carl

Well here in jhunan the is a great place to windsurf, its called spot (www.spot.com.tw)
i have been there 2 times, only for surfing, never windsurfing, but they rent equipment and its not expensive… check it out…

Taiwan is a windsurfing mecca, but Taichung and northwards. Over 150 days of great breezeTainan & KHH the wind is not so great.

Chunan is great, just watch out for the lull at the second set when the wind is a bit more East than North East. Places like Spot can rent. There are at least 3 different importers for boards & gear and a decent second hand market.

nicowsf.com a friend of mine

There’s also a spot to rent boards and windsurf in Changhua Coastal Industrial park(believe it or not) It’s just west of Lugang.

That’s a good place to learn…if you can stand the water…zero circulation. It’s where I learned.

Really blows in the winter.

elegua, does your friend speak English? Doesn’t matter that much but when I learn new things I do prefer in my native tongue. Been looking to learn to windsurf for years. Chunan is not that far away.

actually the guy at the “Spot” which is the name of the place speaks fluent english for what i heard, and i also heard he is one of the best in Taiwan for the sport… and the classes are like 2k for a day and it includes all the equipment…

by the way Elegua, i have been looking for some 2nd hand stuff for windsurfing but since my Chinese sucks i havent been able to find anything so far… for beginner - intermediate level… my assumption is that nobody buys that kind of equipment, they just go for a class and then they buy advanced equipment, and if they dont use it more they will never sell it, they will store it on their houses for ever…
so, any related info would be appreciated !!!

They do. Chunan will be more difficult to learn as it is on the open ocean. Once the NE wind pattern starts is alo not the time to start learning as it means big surf and high winds. After DuanWu is a better time to start.

In general I found the learning curve steep, but very gratifying once achieved. It’s very addicitive and it’s a great community.

PM if you’d like some phone numbers.

actually the guy at the “Spot” which is the name of the place speaks fluent english for what i heard, and i also heard he is one of the best in Taiwan for the sport… and the classes are like 2k for a day and it includes all the equipment…

by the way Elegua, I have been looking for some 2nd hand stuff for windsurfing but since my Chinese sucks i havent been able to find anything so far… for beginner - intermediate level… my assumption is that nobody buys that kind of equipment, they just go for a class and then they buy advanced equipment, and if they dont use it more they will never sell it, they will store it on their houses for ever…
so, any related info would be appreciated !!![/quote]

That’s Tony Fish. He is very good. There are a number of really good windsurfers in Taiwan.

The second hand market is pretty hot, so you will always get your money back on new equipment. Once you begin to know people, you’ll find deals. Just tell people what you are looking for and people will come and find you. I find people buy new advanced equipment and then sell it pretty quick. Winds are high in winter so 78ltr boards and 4.2 sails are the norm. You can’t sail a big freeride board many days in Taiwan.

Thanks, guys. I am going to have to look into this.

well i have been checking on internet for equipment for sale, and maybe is just the fact that i cannot read chinese, but i cannot find any 2nd hand good deal? how much would a intermediate level set would cost(2nd hand)? including everything… just to have a reference…

There’s a place in Luzhou, Taipei County where you can go. Good for beginners and there are some guys there who know what they’re doing too. It’s in an artificial stretch of river that’s fed with quite clean freshwater and overflows into the Danshui river. If you know how to windsurf, you just need to pay $45 insurance and they’ll lend you a (somewhat crappy) board. It’s just below the Chenlu Bridge on the Luzhou side.

Take a trip to Chunan. Talking to people face-to-face is worth 10x internet.

Does anyone know anything about the scene up in Danshui? Anyone ever been windsurfing up that way, or know of anyone who has?

Went out to Jhunan today but Tony at SPOT was out. Still I checked out the area and it’s a pretty funky little hamlet of old houses right by the sea. SPOT has equipment to rent and rooms to stay. Not that easy to find the place though one option is to ride a bike from Hsinchu on a new series of oceanside bike paths. It’s about 30km from Hsinchu and you pass right by.

Tony is off on the East Coast / South on Taiwan right now.

I’ll be in Taipei in jan and feb. How is the wind in that time? I know it is rather cold for taiwanese but will the places be open?
what is your recommendation for a centre near taipei? tony fish’s place seems rather far from taipei.

Thanks.

It should be windy in Zhunan then.

There’s also windsurfing in Penghu, which is of course farther away than Zhunan but which can be reached in less time from Taipei (a quick flight out of Songshan). I don’t know anything about the windsurfing scene in either place, though.

If anyone’s looking for windsufing equipment, I’m selling mine. It’s CHEAP because I’ve sold my car and can’t use it anymore. It’s not that new, but it works well.

$4000 for everything!

That includes a 2001 Fanatic Rip 248 board, 3 sails, a boom, and other accessories.

If you’re interested contact me at noted.taiwan [at] gmail.com.

Thanks!
Richard

hi everyone…i m planning a trip to taiwan this winter with my family and am looking to get some great windsurfing done. i’ve been to penghu twice and i must say the experience was exhilarating. just wondering if there are similar spots on the mainland. i’ve sent an email to the owner of the ‘spot’ (which was mentioned earlier in this thread) but have yet o get a reply. is it still open?
rgds
wen