Women's Forum - Are private forums necessary?

If it makes you feel any better, the last post in the women’s forum was posted 3 weeks ago. It’s not like we sit there and gossip and chat. If we have issues (bodily or heart or whatever) we post to get names of doctors etc. Maybe you had to be around to see stuff like ‘Where can I get a breast exam’…’ I’ll give you one for free :lick: :lick: :discodance: :discodance: :laughing: …because somehow a lot of threads turn out that way! :slight_smile:

A female friend of mine got her master’s at San Francisco State. She took a course in Women’s Studies, and she was the only non-lesbian in the class. In fact, most were lesbian separatists; women who had made the decision to never again, of their own volition, socialize with men.
At the end of the course,they had an outing. Most of the students were bringing their significant others along, but a bunch were concerned, “What if Mary brought John along?”
Mary found this depressing, and so do I. I don’t know what happened to these women that brought them to the point of rejecting half of humanity.

I’ve got no problem with any group that is facing prejudice having their own exclusive place here. That includes Gay/Lesbian, Overseas Chinese, Blacks, *PAOAS, and Foreign Domestic Helpers.

Actually Mary and John are not their real names. I just thought they’d be clearer than Alex and Jessie.

• People As Old As Sandman

I’d guess that feisty Ms. Buttercup probably got herself banned once or twice.[/quote]

Let me try again, I’ll change my avatar one more time. Leaving for the weekend. Bye! Enjoy!

[quote=“Confuzius”][quote=“divea”][quote=“Amasashi”]
Exclusiveness invites speculation about what is said behind those locked doors that can’t be heard by the outside world. And if there is a place for women to hold conversations safe from the ears of men, then, in all fairness, shouldn’t there also be a place for men to do the same? And, by extension, shouldn’t there also be forums prvy only to people of specific ethnic persuasions, religious affiliations, sexual orientations, and the like? Why limit it to just women? How is that justified?

[/quote]
because different ethnicities and religions don’t get their own private toilets - genders do. :wink:[/quote]

Not if you live in San Francisco, “gender neutral” bathrooms are the wave of the future! Urinals are a strong symbol of male aggression and oppression of women. You better not use gender specific pronouns like “he” or “she” either. Haven’t you gotten with the program? There is no such thing as gender you blibbering neanderthal :taz:[/quote]

Tiabo.

I’d guess that feisty Ms. Buttercup probably got herself banned once or twice.[/quote]

Let me try again, I’ll change my avatar one more time. Leaving for the weekend. Bye! Enjoy![/quote]

LOVE IT!

Buttercup was never once suspended from this site, not for want of other people trying to make it happen. Don’t feel bad that she rejected you all in the end. She doesn’t. :smiley:

I used to think the women’s forum was exclusive and separatist. Now I don’t. I think if the users find it helpful then it should remain.

She rejected us all in the end?
:laughing:
I don’t really pay attention to those that post(ed) seemingly for the post count.

27 pages and counting. Quite a controversy. Still think it was a good idea?

Absolutely. That’s 27 pages and counting over almost 10 YEARS. To me, the questions challenging the idea come from people who are new to Forumosa and don’t expect to see a private forum of this kind. And I know from the web statistics that there are more and more people who continue to discover Forumosa :discodance:

I’m not new and I still disagree with it. I realise, however, that that’s not my decision to make. I also realise that there will always be certain contradictions (and ready explanations/excuses) inherent in any philosophical position.

Please believe us, GiT, we ladies really need it that way. It is sad, but true.

Some of us guys are happy that way, there are some things we do not want to read.

Then we don’t have to read them in the same way that a Christian conservative doesn’t have to watch Game of Thrones.

Yeah, but that’s not how it works. How it works is: “Where can I get a mammogram that doesn’t make me feel like a piece of meat?”
Reply: “I’ll squeeze yer tits for a Bounty Bar and a pint of Guinness.”
Reply: More of the same.
Reply: Ad infinitum.

I suppose its their own fault for even asking such stuff on a board frequented by schoolboys, but there it is.
“HEY! I’m not a schoolboy! I even know about POLITICS and ECONOMICS and other grown-up stuff!”
:unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

This is an issue long settled. Yes, it’s necessary.

No, it’s not, but that’s what the admin choose to do, so it’s up to them.

Yes it is.

Where the blinking cowfish did that comparison come from??? :noway:

maybe those complaining can have their own “big girls’” forum?

Okay. So tell me what is your problem. There is a pvt. forum for women, and how does that offend/annoy you??