Work permit and background check

I am currently scheduled to arrive in Taiwan in the coming month. I know there has been recent legislation requiring an FBI Background Check for all buxiban applicants. I am now in the process of expediting my background check before my scheduled flight.

My concern is that a misdemeanor DUI charge from 2015 and a public intoxication charge from 2012 is going to completely render me ineligible to receive a work permit. It is my understanding that these new requirements are in response to so-called “wolf teachers” and are primarily an attempt to thwart sexual predators from receiving employment. However, the language of the legislation indicates “proof of no criminal record” is the barometer for acceptance. I am quite worried that any application for a work permit will be denied once I arrive and the entire trip will have been a waste. I understand how my record is going to look and be perceived, it looks very bad even to me and I’m filled with shame and regret for my actions but they are not a reflection of my character and ability to teach. I have merely had some unfortunate circumstances happen related to alcohol in my early twenties. Alas, none of that matters as the record will show what the record will show. Any information on this matter would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Honestly, I don’t know if you’ll be okay or not. I hope so! But, you don’t need to make excuses to us. We’re not here to judge you (well, some might try, but just ignore them). Since this is a big deal, there’s been a number of threads about it recently. Here is one such one. It might have some answers, or at least you can find someone who’s in a similar situation.

Here is someone who also got a DUI. Maybe you can touch base with her and see if she got accepted or not.

you will need one as of June 14th this year.

You may be eligible to sign an affidavit declaring that you have no criminal record, and then supply a check within 6 months. I would suggest getting one done before you leave

The main concern is me being eligible to receive a work permit with a misdemeanor charge. Therefore I do have a criminal record, but it is not related to any sexual crimes, which seems to be the main point of the new law. I’m not trying to falsify any affidavit declaring I have no criminal record when, in fact, I do. I am currently waiting to receive the record but I already know what will be on it.

ah yeh sorry, I was reading a reply which was actually a link to another thread. There are a few of us in the same boat as you. Check out this thread, we will reply once we have an answer, everyone is in the dark right now.

No-one that I know of has an official answer yet. The MOE said the draft regulations would be available by the end of this month.

1 Like

Thank you for clarifying. I suppose at this point I’ll just have to wait and see what happens once I’m there.

@zckttck hey OP, any update on how it ended up working out? I will be arriving in taiwan in the spring and will be in a similar situation…will be applying for a work permit with a dui on record in the U.S.

Is there any more info on this? Does anyone know if it is possible to get a “certificate of good conduct,” with something on your record?