Work permit application rejected

Hi everyone,

I am currently working as a French teacher in a language school in Taipei, and my boss recently applied for a working permit. She just told me that the application got rejected, because I lack of teaching experience.
I am a holder of a Master’s Degree (in engineering, so not related to teaching), and I am French, then a Native French Speaker.

I read and heard many times that you don’t need experience as long as you hold a Master’s Degree and you are a Native speaker.

Can anyone enlight me about that?

For an ordinary work permit for language teaching at a licensed cram school, you need a university degree and to have a passport from a country where the language you teach is an official language. There’s no work experience requirement. There is such a requirement for many other types of jobs. One possibility, not unheard of here, is that they’re not a licensed language cram school and were trying to get you a permit under some other type of job classification.

Thanks for your answer!
This is what I thought, this is actually a licensed language school, so to be honest, I think that my boss is just lying to me (it wouldn’t have been the first time that she acts in such a shady way). She mentioned some “Experience column” in the application form, and I’ve never heard of such thing…

I checked this website : http://law.moj.gov.tw/Eng/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?PCode=N0090031

I think it is safe to assume that it is an official website, and that I can rely on the laws written there. It is specifically said that a foreign teacher needs to be 20yo or older, to have a college degree, and to have a passport from a country where the language I teach is an official language.

I fill every requirements, so there’s no reason for my application to be rejected.

Oh and I also provided a recent empty criminal record, the photocopy of it and its chinese translation. So yeah, I don’t know what’s wrong!

You could check here too. A site of Workforce Development Agency under Ministry of Labor, a government department.

Foreign Professionals to Work in Taiwan
http://ezworktaiwan.wda.gov.tw/ezworken/home.jsp?pageno=201508070001

Full-time Foreign Teacher in Cram School
http://ezworktaiwan.wda.gov.tw/ezworken/home.jsp?pageno=201508100023

If your school were a language center affiliated to a college, your work permit could be rejected by the central governing authorities due to a lack of teaching experience.

Thanks! I already checked it :slight_smile: and it also confirmed what I was thinking , the experience is not required to teach your native language

And my language center isn’t affiliated to a college (it’s not like Shida or something like that), I’m teaching elementary school kids

You do teach the minimum weekly hours, which as far as I know is 14 ???

Yes I do!

Can you ask her for a document that govt gave while rejecting application?

Unfortunately, it sounds like your employer is lying and trying to get rid of you in a cowardly and face-saving manner.

Nope I haven’t, she announced me today by text that the application got rejected. So I know that she’s lying, because she told me that it was rejected because of a lack of experience. Little did she know that I actually can use internet and that I know that experience isn’t relevant in this kind of work permit application. (I told her, she denied it)

I think that she’s never applied for this working permit, even though she first mentioned it early october, and now she’s making up this ‘application rejected’ excuse to save her face and not to admit that she’s never applied for it. Also, after I told her that experience wasn’t relevant in that case, she denied it and told me “I’ll try to call them and argue with them, but it might take some time, so you still should do your visa run”. I interpreted that as “I never applied for it but I finally will”

Because I don’t think that she wants to fire me, the kids love me, the parents love me, I am a very model employee, and she didn’t even want to give me days off to do my visa run, because “it would disturb the kids”.

And tbh even if she wants to fire me, I’m good, I don’t think I want to have a lying boss

In that case, you may be in the wrong country. Scratch that…wrong planet.

Hahahaha you are right
Well then I guess I’ll learn my lesson, and won’t be the cute young kind girl anymore, and turn full badass to avoid this kind of situation

What if you say you will stop teaching until she will get your work permit.

Btw, though you may be well aware of it, your status is illegal if you are working under the condition where you need a visa run.

I know that, and I was a fool for trusting her, I will stop working for the school as long as I don’t have my working permit

4 Likes

Good decision!
No working permit, no work!
It really doesn’t worth risking your resident status for a shady employer.

Are you sure? Have you checked its registration?

Try here if you can read Chinese:
http://bsb.edu.tw/afterschool/m/inquire.jsp?usercity=20

It could be that your employer is registered as a company or partnership but not as a buxiban (cram school).

The penalty for working without permission is deportation and a large fine. :police_car: :frowning_face: