Work Visa: Two Years' Experience?

I’m currently working on this two year work experience thing. Who else was able to circumvent this rule?

[quote=“odysseyandoracle”]

I have an interview with an employer on Monday who has brought up the 2 years of experience as well. I have exactly 22 months of work experience, none directly related to the job I would perform, as I did not know Chinese when I lived in America. I’ll see what happens with that.[/quote]

Keep us informed if you can and are comfortable – I’m definitely interested in hearing what happens – and good luck either way!

Brief update here. We are not giving up yet - this company really wants to hire me - but yes, the 2 year work requirement is apparently still in place. Either that press release is misleading or the law has changed back, which wouldn’t be surprising. Non-degree certifications and language center study are not acceptable as a substitute.

If anyone wants to follow this same path, either plan on doing a master’s or working in another country for a couple years. We are using my year of English teaching experience, but it helps that I have a decent relationship with the cram school and they’re willing to back me up in terms of my duties including tasks related to the job I’m trying to get. With a bit of time you can find an acceptable job here even with no other skills besides Chinese, but it seems that this regulation is quite rigid if one wants to do everything by the book, and I do…

Good to know. Well, good luck – sounds like you might have a way through!

FYI, Taiwan bureaucracy tends to be very firm with dates etc. A few years back I remember being exactly three weeks away from two years of relevant experience for some position–wound up waiting an extra semester because the MOE wouldn’t say OK, even though I would have had the two years once the position started (assuming I had received permission).

Not saying to give up, but that was my experience.

[quote=“odysseyandoracle”]Brief update here. We are not giving up yet - this company really wants to hire me - but yes, the 2 year work requirement is apparently still in place. Either that press release is misleading or the law has changed back, which wouldn’t be surprising. Non-degree certifications and language center study are not acceptable as a substitute.

If anyone wants to follow this same path, either plan on doing a master’s or working in another country for a couple years. We are using my year of English teaching experience, but it helps that I have a decent relationship with the cram school and they’re willing to back me up in terms of my duties including tasks related to the job I’m trying to get. With a bit of time you can find an acceptable job here even with no other skills besides Chinese, but it seems that this regulation is quite rigid if one wants to do everything by the book, and I do…[/quote]

Wow, so despite having the 22months, it’s simply not enough? That’s rough.

[quote=“odysseyandoracle”]Question: Businesses are still saying this, but can anyone confirm if this is actually still a legal requirement? I ask this after not finding a reference to length of work experience in the related laws and after seeing this thread:

[quote]Lastly, on a matter of concern to your chamber for many years, we have also made plans to relax the requirement for foreign-national employees to have two years of work experience, so as to give businesses greater choice and flexibility in personnel recruitment.

1. 取消具學士資格之外籍人士准予在台工作之「2年工作經驗限制」。在台留學取得學士及以上學歷資格之外籍畢業生,在台工作薪資得比照本國薪資水準;非在台留學之學士及以上學歷資格之外國籍人士,在台工作仍須受薪資門檻(目前為47,971元)之限制。 [/quote]

But I still see people repeating this requirement here, so I’m wondering if anyone has had any direct response from the government in the past 2 years, or if anyone has actually been rejected for this reason. As we all know, just because a Taiwanese business thinks something is the law doesn’t make it so.

[/quote]

Nothing in this states that they have changed the requirement…please pay attention to the words ‘have also made plans.’
I made plans to be the richest guy in the world by the time I turned 50…and that’s all that happened…I made plans and turned 50 without so much as $100 in my bank account. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Vannyel”][quote=“odysseyandoracle”]Question: Businesses are still saying this, but can anyone confirm if this is actually still a legal requirement? I ask this after not finding a reference to length of work experience in the related laws and after seeing this thread:

[quote]Lastly, on a matter of concern to your chamber for many years, we have also made plans to relax the requirement for foreign-national employees to have two years of work experience, so as to give businesses greater choice and flexibility in personnel recruitment.

1. 取消具學士資格之外籍人士准予在台工作之「2年工作經驗限制」。在台留學取得學士及以上學歷資格之外籍畢業生,在台工作薪資得比照本國薪資水準;非在台留學之學士及以上學歷資格之外國籍人士,在台工作仍須受薪資門檻(目前為47,971元)之限制。 [/quote]

But I still see people repeating this requirement here, so I’m wondering if anyone has had any direct response from the government in the past 2 years, or if anyone has actually been rejected for this reason. As we all know, just because a Taiwanese business thinks something is the law doesn’t make it so.

[/quote]

Nothing in this states that they have changed the requirement…please pay attention to the words ‘have also made plans.’
I made plans to be the richest guy in the world by the time I turned 50…and that’s all that happened…I made plans and turned 50 without so much as $100 in my bank account. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Whoa, a 100 USD? Nice…

Any brief update for us odysseyandoracle?

I’ve been getting documents together to apply under the assumption that I need two years of related experience, so I’m afraid I won’t be able to give much info on whether the regulation definitely exists or not. My company is working with some kind of non-government “agency” to assist in the application process, and all of the demands/suggestions are coming from them, not from the gov’t itself.

[quote=“Rabidpie”][quote=“Vannyel”][quote=“odysseyandoracle”]Question: Businesses are still saying this, but can anyone confirm if this is actually still a legal requirement? I ask this after not finding a reference to length of work experience in the related laws and after seeing this thread:

[/quote]

I made plans to be the richest guy in the world by the time I turned 50…and that’s all that happened…I made plans and turned 50 without so much as $100 in my bank account. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Whoa, a 100 USD? Nice…

Any brief update for us odysseyandoracle?[/quote]
Good luck odysseyandoracle!
I was in Taiwan when I turned 50, so it was NT$100 :bow:

Odysseyandoracle, how’s the working life? Are you enjoying working for a Taiwanese company? Give us a little update here bro, how’s it all going?

I don’t want to go into too many details at the moment, but in short, our application was rejected. The gov’t said there wasn’t enough evidence establishing that my cram school work was related to editing and translating. There is another avenue that my company is going to try, but we have to wait until the end of this month, so I am here on a visitor visa and officially Not Working.

I will explain more about what they’re doing (which is totally legal - they are not going to claim I’m an English teacher or anything like that) when we get the result of that process. In short, don’t expect to be able to use teaching experience to get these kinds of jobs, even with the written support of managers from your school. You’re better off just “finding” some more experience in the US - which I wasn’t able to do because I came here just a year after getting my degree.

[quote=“odysseyandoracle”]I don’t want to go into too many details at the moment, but in short, our application was rejected. The gov’t said there wasn’t enough evidence establishing that my cram school work was related to editing and translating. There is another avenue that my company is going to try, but we have to wait until the end of this month, so I am here on a visitor visa and officially Not Working.

I will explain more about what they’re doing (which is totally legal - they are not going to claim I’m an English teacher or anything like that) when we get the result of that process. In short, don’t expect to be able to use teaching experience to get these kinds of jobs, even with the written support of managers from your school. You’re better off just “finding” some more experience in the US - which I wasn’t able to do because I came here just a year after getting my degree.[/quote]

Very sad and frustrating to hear but very insightful information. Thank you Odysseyandoracle, I hope the best for you especially since I really want to work for a Taiwan company too…