Work with two-year associate's (AA) degree and tefl or tesol?

You can get a legal teaching job with either:

1. Associates Degree + TEFL cert.
  2. Bachelors Degree

So, yes, you can teach here legally.

Thank you

I feel very relieved

Hello,

I apologize if this topic has already been discussed in detail. I’ve seen posts about online TEFL, but not one that covers my specific situation.

I am interested to teach English in Taiwan, but only if I can do it legally.

My problem is that I don’t have a degree, I have a two year diploma in Recording Engineering, plus a 1-year graduate diploma in Digital Applications. Both are from Fanshawe College in Canada. I’m not 100% sure, but I believe this would be considered the equivalent of an “Associate Degree” under the American system, not a Bachelor’s.

I have read that Associate Degree holders must have a TEFL or TESOL certificate to teach in Taiwan legally. In fact, an old school friend with the same diplomas that I have, he was able to teach in Taiwan legally with his diplomas and a TESOL he got many years ago.

So I am considering taking a TEFL course online. My questions are:

1. From the government’s perspective, is an online TEFL course OK to legally get an ARC?
  2. Are there any things to consider when selecting an online TEFL? For example, a particular type of accreditation or a certain number of hours?

Right now I am living in Tokyo. I have considered asking the consulate here if they can give any more guidance on the topic. But I was hoping perhaps someone here might have some insight.

Thanks!

I’m afraid I can’t answer your questions… But it seems like an online TEFL would be pretty worthless. Why not take a month and get a CELTA? The CELTA is recognized internationally. I obtained mine in Bangkok, US$1,400 at ECC (eccthai.com).

It is possible to get a work permit/ARC with an AA + TEFL; I have done so myself. However, because I didn’t have a Bachelor’s I went with the CELTA, as it is the best as far as TEFLs go.

I think most people here will advise you to finish your Bachelor’s before you come. If you don’t, I would suggest that you at least get a proper TEFL/CELTA from a reputable school, not online.

I’m hoping someone is still reading this and can answer my question. In order to procure a work permit, will I be required to provide my transcipts along with my associate’s degee and in class T.E.F.L.?

I’m a member of the two year honor society, but received my only “C” in math. I hope this will not disqualify me from teaching since I received exemplary grades in all other subjects.

I just want to experience another culture for a few years before I complete my bachelor’s in art history.

I appreciate any links to gov’t sites as well.

Thank you!!!

Hi,

I’m currently working towards earning myb achelor’s degree via SUNY’s online program, however, I’m aware that the Taiwanese Government generally doesn’t accept online degrees.

I do however have an associates degree(well two actually) from a brick-and-mortar SUNY Community College, and I’ve heard with an associates + TEFL I can teach at a cram school. I also have some experience teaching English(I volunteer at the local literacy center, teaching immigrants.)

Now, I’m aware that online TEFL programs probably don’t offer much in terms of actual learning, however, are any of them considered valid for teaching in Taiwan? For instance I-to-Is? I figure I already have some practical experience teaching English, and can learn the rest as I go. I just need something that will certify me so I can enter the Country legally for work.

Also, does the type of associates degree matter? I have both an AS and AAS.

Thanks.

You don’t need any paper to teach here. Provided you are white, it should be fairly easy. That’s the reality.
Legal work is for English native speakers, i.e. passport holders from countries, where English is the main language.

If you don’t hold such a passport, then you need a degree in any field (B.A. - doesn’t count in this situation, it must be at least M.A.) and you can find a nice job at the university.
Of course there may be many exemptions, depending what your field is.

This is just so painfully wrong…

You need a passport from an English speaking country (U.S., Canada, U.K., Australia, South Africa, etc.) and a B.A. An AA + TESOL is also accepted.

You say an AA, will an AS or an AAS work?

Science or arts makes no difference with a full bachelor’s degree, so the same will be true with a 2 year associate’s diploma. Keep in mind that some small independent schools won’t understand what you are asking for if you apply for a job with them. The big chains like HESS will.

Thanks, you guys have made my day :slight_smile:

This is just so painfully wrong…

You need a passport from an English speaking country (U.S., Canada, U.K., Australia, South Africa, etc.) and a B.A. An AA + TESOL is also accepted.[/quote]

Since when you need a paper (certificate)???

Passport from an English speaking country - yes, to work legally. And that’s it.

Unless, you want to teach in some different institution than buxiban, then you may need some papers.

[quote=“horo36”]Since when you need a paper (certificate)???

Passport from an English speaking country - yes, to work legally. And that’s it. [/quote]

And a bachelor’s degree, or an associate’s degree plus TESOL qualification.

Since the 1900s…

No.

Even the schools that state a BA as a prerequisite will usually accept a 2 year college diploma + Tesol certificate. AA, AAS or an AS, I can’t see any difference and neither will the the government.

[quote]You don’t need any paper to teach here. Provided you are white, it should be fairly easy. That’s the reality.
Legal work is for English native speakers, i.e. passport holders from countries, where English is the main language.

If you don’t hold such a passport, then you need a degree in any field (B.A. - doesn’t count in this situation, it must be at least M.A.) and you can find a nice job at the university.
Of course there may be many exemptions, depending what your field is.[/quote]

You’ve been misinformed, I assure you this is wrong. How would a person from a country, not considered to be an English speaking country, get a job teaching English at a uni?? Well, they wouldn’t.

Horo36 - whoever you are listening to is giving you some seriously incorrect information. As whitetiger says, for a university English instructor position you need to be a native speaker of English with a notarized master’s degree plus transcripts, usually of English or in the field of education.

As has already been stated, the Taiwanese take on ‘native speaker of English’ is a passport holder from the 6 recognised countries.

You also have to have, amongst other things, a notarized copy of your bachelor’s degree (or associate’s diploma plus a TESOL qualification) plus a passport from the 6 recognised countries to apply for a teaching job in any private school in Taiwan.

You must have noatarized copies of these certificates. If someone arrives in Taiwan who isn’t carrying these pieces of paper, they ain’t working legally.

[quote=“whitetiger”]Even the schools that state a BA as a prerequisite will usually accept a 2 year college diploma + Tesol certificate. AA, AAS or an AS, I can’t see any difference and neither will the the government.

[quote]You don’t need any paper to teach here. Provided you are white, it should be fairly easy. That’s the reality.

Of course there may be many exemptions, depending what your field is.[/quote]

You’ve been misinformed, I assure you this is wrong. How would a person from a country, not considered to be an English speaking country, get a job teaching English at a uni?? Well, they wouldn’t.[/quote]

Well, I have such job and I am not a native speaker. It is legal. How? It depends on your degree, what your major is. And you can get an English teacher job without [color=#800040]BA and TESOL[/color]* at most if not any buxibans. Almost all people (English native speakers) I know have such jobs without any qualifications.

*It means you don’t have to have BOTH.

You’re now correct, horo36. There is no requirement for a bachelor’s degree and a TESOL. A noob straight off the plane will need some paper in his/her hand, though. A bachelors, or an associates with a TESOL.

As for getting a teaching instructor job at a uni? All the unis I’ve looked at have required a masters in English or some field of Education plus what the MOE regard as a native English speaker passport. You have managed to land a job without both of these. Well done, but I would assume it will be difficult for noobs to do this. Maybe I’m wrong and I’m overestimating the Taiwanese higher education system.

I was told I can teach English with just a AA degree and TEFL. Others have said no so I came on here to find out. Also if i have a AA degree with TEFL well i have a problem finding a job?

I assume that you’ve read this thread?

To summarise:

1. Yes, AA + TEFL certificate is enough.
  2. Finding a job with an associate degree + TEFL is reportedly not much more difficult than finding one with a bachelor’s. Some small schools may not be aware of the MOE rules.