Working before permit arrives

Waiting for it to be approved

So should I call the company, tell them my situation, hope theyā€™ll understand and give back the money??

If you already did the work, you already did the work. That doesnā€™t mean you need to continue working illegally, but giving back the money wouldnā€™t change the past. (Just my opinion, not legal advice.)

1 Like

ā€œHope theyā€™ll understandā€ā€¦

Yeah, thatā€™s not happening. :joy:

I definitely wonā€™t continue. I mean I could give back the money, they give me the contract I signed and nothing ever happened. Letā€™s pretend that if somethings gonna happen, when will that be and what could I do then?

Theyā€™re not going to take back your money and unsign you from your contract like nothing happened. Enough about the money. Itā€™s yours and giving it back solves nothing (except making you poorer). The best you can hope for is they agree to release you from your contract without accusing you of breaching it and making trouble for you with immigration. Depending how understanding they are Iā€™d give it 50/50 odds.

It was just a one time thing. So there is nothing to breach about.

Then I would move on. :slight_smile:

And btw, your income from ā€œwritten articlesā€ under $180,000/year is tax free (according to the Income Tax Act) and doesnā€™t need to be declared by you (personal communication from staff at the NTBT on Zhonghua Rd).

4 Likes

I think we can say @yyy solved this.

ēØæč²»č¬ę­²ļ¼ [Hurrah for the manuscript fee tax exemption!]

1 Like

Alright, thanks a lot. I got my work permit now. But the Income-tax act doesnā€™t change that I worked before my permit arrived, right? I will start freelancing now. But that still can bite my in da ass somehow, right? Is there something I can do to get rid of this one time mistake?

For godā€™s sake, it wonā€™t bite you in the ass and you canā€™t turn the clock back so forget about it and get on with your life.

1 Like

Yes. Send the money to me. Iā€™ll ā€¦uhā€¦ take care of it.

Iirc, you are a national without household registration, right? I think you donā€™t need to worry about it so much.

I continued working for an entire year while on my TARC and still got my IDā€¦no questions askedā€¦ Didnā€™t apply for a work permitā€¦never knew such a permit even existed.

The Income Tax Act isnā€™t a problem. Itā€™s Art. 43 of the Employment Service Act that could be a problem, if someone with jurisdiction cared to investigate.

But you have citizenship of another country, right?

And your work permit is tied to your employer, right?

A normal work permit (tied to one employer) does not allow you to freelance.

Did your employer maybe get a work permit for you then and you just didnā€™t know? Or you worked illegally? From what I understand the TARC doesnā€™t give you open work rights. Thought you need a permit to work

I think OPā€™s permit is not tied to a company. Under some conditions, TARC holders with other countries passports can get their own work permits. Article 51of the Employment Service Act.

We have contradictory information in different threads.

TARC holders with only ROC nationality have open work rights, TARC holders who are dual citizens do not have work rights and need a work permit.

:confused:

If having a TARC meets the criteria of ESA Art. 51 Par. 1 Subpar. 3, then it should be okay from the starting date of the work permit. Are we sure it meets the criteria?

Sounds like this person got it completely backwards. Should be the exact opposite

Maybe @springonion can chime in