Working before permit arrives

I think just having a TARC doesn’t necessarily meets the criteria, but some of TARC holders meet, and guess OP does.

I have citizenship in another country but with my Tarc I also applied for an open work permit. It just arrived 1 week before I had that one time job. Thats the problem.

With a Tarc you can apply for an open work permit.

Before or after? :confused:

If the starting date of the open work permit is on or before the day you started working, you’re absolutely fine.

If not, you can still freelance to your heart’s content now that you have the OWP.

yes, thats true

Thats the thing. The job was before that.

Again, my advice is to take it as a lesson learned and move on. :rainbow:

Thank you. Could the company get into trouble for letting one work there witout a permit?

Legally it could, but practically no.

OP I recommend you leave this subject alone for a bit. You’re actually drawing attention to yourself with the constant questions. Be aware that your only real exposure here is from someone with a vendetta against you making that phone call to the hotline. Just walk away Renee.

1 Like

I doubt you will find any Employer in Taiwan who’s so actively involved in their employee’s visa/work permit status that they go the whole nine yards and get the permit for them without them knowing about it :rofl:

I believe my TARC status was slightly different from the OPs in that I was a Naturalized Citizen (OP is a dual Citizen I think?)…I was on an APRC (with an OWP) before I surrendered my Original Citizenship and became a NWOHR and holding a TARC. My purpose of residence on my TARC stated: 取得國籍AF372 which means I’ve obtained Taiwan Nationality…No one at the NIA warned me that I couldn’t work on my TARC nor was anything stated on that little leaflet that I got with my TARC in regards to Employment.

After being in Taiwan for 16+ years on work ARCs, then upgrading to an APRC and finally getting re-upgraded to a TARC and becoming a 3/4 citizen and BAM! getting caught cos I needed a 1-year work permit for my TARC…Nah! I don’t think so. :grin:

1 Like

@springonion, then, your case is not slightly, but completely different from OP’s.

So I guess there are 2 types of TARCs then?.. One for Dual Nationals (who are technically Taiwanese but have lived abroad most of their lives and hence have no Household Registration in Taiwan & they plan to come to Taiwan to get their ID) & one for Naturalized Citizens (who have given up their Original Citizenship but have lived in Taiwan for at least 5 years legally but still do not have Household Registration)…The former doesn’t have Open Work rights on their TARC and must obtain a work permit while the latter doesn’t need to.

@Lobelt What does your Purpose of residency say on your TARC?? Is it somehow different from my TARC? How can one determine that your TARC needs a work permit and mine doesn’t simply by looking at it?

What do you mean by that?

I made a mistake back then. They got the Tarc itself, think they copied it too…

But yeah, maybe this thing could be deleted after all?

You’re now the number one Google search result for this subject.

Taiwan treats groups of people on ARC/APRC/TARC based on different reasons (study/marriage/work/job types etc) with different nationalities differently.

1 Like

Iirc, there are about 5000 無戶籍國民 who get TARC per year, so the anonymity of OP may be safe. In addition, nationals may be treated differently on the violation relating to work permit, even if caught.

agree to your recommendation to be careful about exposure of info.

Well that’s what was confusing. You didn’t mention you had already had an APRC. In that case, your situation is completely different than OP’s. With an APRC you got open work rights. No need for a work permit. Maybe those rights just got transferred over to your TARC?

Someone like OP who is a NWOHR (not a dual citizen) needs a work permit to work. He/she can’t just go work automatically like you on just a TARC alone. But yeah each person’s TARC situation is obviously different

Not true. If you are a dual citizen you are a registered national and therefore have open work rights. No need for a work permit. Same goes for naturalized citizens I believe.

Should be simple. If youre a NWOHR, you need a work permit. If you’re a NWHR, you don’t. I’m convinced your TARC is way different than OP’s, especially if you had an APRC before that and worked on just a TARC alone

1 Like

That’s assuming “citizen” means NWHR, which it doesn’t necessarily (depending on who’s doing the translation).

Indeed. Maybe open work “permits”, though.

Naturalized nationals without household registration most probably have open work permits or work right before they get TARCs.