Worst accident/spill you've witnessed/been in?

In they days before compulsory seatbelt laws in Australia…
I saw what looked like two pieces of floppy cardboard floating in the air over a cloud of dust ahead on the highway. Not cardboard but two bodies who had gone straight through the windscreen after their car hit a fence post on the side of the road at 100mph+ - out and up :frowning:

One survivor (the floaters were very dead) was covered in blood walking about with their calf muscle hanging from their ankle …

Wear your seatbelt! Saw two unbelted kids on Fuxingbei Rd last night jumping all over dad and inside the car - makes my blood run cold

I take offense at this comment.

I explained what to do and how to do it to ImaniOU. I was the one who taught her how to ride a scooter. She was whining like a 3 year old and I didn’t laugh. I smirked(like W would) and said, “suck it up!” encouragingly.

Would Imaniou like to explain how she followed my example a year later with other people and did exactly the same thing I did? Oh I forgot, ImaniOU is currently suffering that amnesia symptom common to all liberals. :noway:

Okami

I take offense at this comment.

Okami[/quote]

Okami has thin skin.

ToeRides

I am listening to Houses of the Holy right NOW.

[quote=“Chaon”]Damn. Called out.

I actually don’t know dick about cycles, and did a quick Google for “fastest motorcycle”. Didn’t actually check to see how fast it would go, thinking that 300kph would be pushing the limits of any bike. I take it that’s not the case?[/quote]

300 is about right. It may be able to do a bit more 310 or 320 but not more than that.

[quote=“Scuba”]

Has anyone ever put a front wheel into one of those roadside ditchs ?[/quote]

Had a friend of mine go off the road…and put his RZR’s front tire into it. He was pretty banged up…but alright.

I’ve crashed bikes about 11 times in my life. Never been hurt…never broken a bone in my life.

I saw a cat that just got run over. Broke it’s back. The cat was trying frantically to run off of the road using only it’s front legs. But it was kinda of turned to the side so wasn’t getting much grip on the road. Finally it gave up trying to run and just rolled around in agony. With it’s mouth opening and closing as it tried to call out…but with no sound. Then it died, thankfully. Seen a few people die to…but you know how that goes…same old, same old. :wink:

On an entirely silly note …

A couple of weeks ago I was waiting at a light in a crowd of people. Up in front of me there was a family of four on a scooter - husband, wife, kid maybe ten, baby, all on a big Grand Dink.

Suddenly and for no apparent reason they all just fell over onto the road. The husband optimistically tried to pick up the scooter and all the people without getting off, slipped, and rolled off the other side onto his back. The wife then stood up and went to help him, caught her shoelace on the bike, and fell over the other way. The ten-year-old, ignoring his idiot parents, made a very valient effort to pick up a bike that weighed about three times as much as him, before dropping it on his foot.

Meanwhile the baby, looking completely unfazed, crawled over to another scooter and proceded to climb into the footwell and sit down, much to the bafflement of the guy riding it.

I believed you up until the shoelace bit.

Six years ago I’d just arrived in Taichung and had bought a piece of shit 50cc off of my buddy for $25. Knew enough about the traffic to realize that the first car coming in the opposite direction was probably going to hang a left as soon as the light changed, and maybe the guy behind him too. I was doing 60-something, maybe pushing 70, and figured that by the time I reached the intersection the light would have changed and the first two cars would have done their thing and I’d cruise right on through without a hitch.

The hitch: the third oncoming car decides to go left as well. He’s make the long, slow easy turn–there’s a vehicle hard on my left, the first two guys turning on my right, and my brakes ain’t great. So I barrel straight into the grill of his car, brakes locked, going significantly slower but still moving fast; he’s basically at a crawl.

As I’m about to nail him I’m thinking, damn, I’m going to castrate myself when I slide into the handle bars. So I bring up my right leg, stretch my foot forward and hope to plant it on the edge of his hood when we collide. For a wonder, it works… or I think it did… happened too quickly to really know. Rather than going into the handle bars I launch over them high into the air, and come down spread out full length: head on the roof, torso on the windshield, legs on the hood. I guess everything hit about the same time. I BOUNCE off of the car, come down a few feet to the side and behind the passenger side door, land on my feet, arms outstretched, swinging, and HOLD the landing. TaDa!

Look myself over, say “Holy shit, I’m O.K.!” Look at the driver whose white-knuckling the steering wheel and say the first thing that comes to mind (didn’t know much more Chinese at the time anyways), “Mai guanxi”. He jerks a few nods uneasily and stammers, “Hao, shih-shih.” Pick up my scooter–handle bars now about 50 degrees off center, start it up, get to work and spend the next few hours with a severe case of the shakes, but without a scratch.

Saw a lady’s feet sticking out from under a bus. They had a tarp over her, RIP. Right in front of De An Dept. store, 9.6 years ago. That gave me the willies.

Saw two scooter jerks both do one of those sudden swerves just for fun, without looking first, and they bounced off each other like billiard balls, and they and their bikes were all over the road, near the Minquan tunnels. That cracked me up. Still gives me a big smile when I think about it.

Saw the aftermath of the train-bus collision at the Kangning/Yanjiuyuan road crossing about, what, 1 year ago? Nasty damage to that bus!

Saw a scooter rider who’d slammed into the rear of a parked car at full speed, and had his head jammed into the vehicle, and his body hanging limply from his head, quite gruesome.

Myself, I wiped when cut off by a car turning left. Wet pavement, too. The car took off, and the loser cops did nothing, even though I got the motherphucker’s plates, because his vehicle didn’t actually collide with mine. My shoulder still aches now and then, a year later, and my arm sometimes goes numb.

When I was young, 10 or so, saw the remains of a two car head on crack up on an icy road leading to a ski resort in NY state…As we approached the cars, saw a dismembered leg strung over the front seat…I have never been able to get rid of that image…

In Taipei 10 years ago, I was on my way to Chinese class, wearing my headphones…out of the corner of my eye, saw a bus turn the corner, fast and then jerk to a stop. My music was loud (NIrvana) and when I turned quickly I saw a guy flying under a car and get stuck on the underbelly of the car…he was smoking…from where or what I don’t know…the most graphic thing I’ve ever seen…

I say this here in the hope that the image will leave me…

Damn! We should make a video!

Worst accident states side…Was first and only person at a wreck where two drunk ole boys rammed their Camaro into a cement light pole. Camaro lost.

The drunk driver climbed out the driver’s side window and took off.

The passenger had flown head first into the windshield of the driver’s side. I gently pulled him back out of the windshield because he was bleeding a lot but he was crying so he was conscious. The windshield didn’t shatter but had actually partially scalped him. I used my shirt for direct pressure and thought about duct taping his head to the headrest while I went to get help but i just sat there watching the guy bleed to death.

Lucky for him some guy came along and went to call the cops. (pre-cell phone days) When they arrived they handcuffed me for half an hour and pushed me down on the curb thinking that I was the driver.

My family was really shocked to see me come home covered in blood!

I never found out what happened to him or the driver.

Worst Accident in Taiwan: I’m still trying to forget so writing about it isn’t going to help.

Just last week on the way to Ping Shi I saw a scooter boy lying in the gutter, bike in pieces. I was first to go to see if the lad was OK. Some other folks had stpped just past the crash site but haddn’t quite plucked up the courage to see if he was OK.

His head, in relation to his body, was at the oddest angle I have ever seen. He’d had it.

The most eerie thing was that his headphones were still playing the musiche was listening to before he miscalculated the corner.

Someone wrote something about seat belts.

I was traveling back from long Dong, to Keelung, next thing I know a car has just hit the safety divider on the right, steam pouring out of the hood.

Myself and a few other whities pull the door open and this guys got blood everywhere, in the back, his wife is screaming, holding a baby, also screaming.

After that other turned up, and there wasn’t much we could do anyway. So, we legged it.

Lucky kid.

Been in few bike accidents before…

South Africa: Crusing through town at about 10pm at night, was doing about 80kph on my 400. Saw some drunk black (race is an important detail in the story, i’m sorry to say)guys crossing the road, moved far over into other lane to avoid them. They could see and hear (my bike had a super-loud can) me coming. Seemed all was cool, as I passed them, one of them, looking me in the eyes, suddenly jumped in front of my bike, for no apparent reason. Bang, I hit him, I went down, slid a long way down the road, bike sliding next to me in a shower of sparks until I hit the curb. My jeans were ripped to pieces, blood all over my legs, my right shoulder was torn up and swollen to twice its size. I crawled up onto the curb, pulled off my helmet, shouted out “what the FUCK were you trying to do!?”, then dropped my helmet and tried to get up. The asshole’s buddies, about 6 or 7 of them, ran down and and surrounded me, and started screaming at me “you white motherfucker etc”. I tried to pacify them, but before I knew all six or seven had surrounded me and started enthusiastically punching the shit out of me. Some white bouncers from a nearby club had seen what had happened and had run over, but not in time to prevent two of my molars getting knocked out and my jaw being broken on both sides. The bouncers, being much bigger than these guys, broke it up and protected me, but more black dudes saw wat was going on and ran up to surround the bouncers and were ready to fuck them, and me, up. Then some white patrons from the club ran down to our aid…was about to become a full-on race riot, ugly stuff, at which point the cops arrived, and immediately the thugs who had beaten me jumped into a car and sped off. Couldn’t believe it, all this shit because some moron tried to play chicken with me (or something?? what the hell possesses a man to jump in front of a bike doing 80 when it is 5 metres away from him??). Spent the next 2 months with my jaw wired, living on liquid only.

Taiwan: Was gonna test drive a VTR1000 one friday night. The owner said he’d take me to a spot where the roads were open and quiet. Hopped on the back, we drove out of town, and got to some open roads, where the driver yanked open the throttle. I remember, whilst clinging to the back for dear life, looking down at the speedo which was at about 190/200kph as we entered a curve. He misjudged, tried to slam on the brakes, but i got catapulted off the back. Just remember a blur of sky/bushes and the sound of breaking branches, and a sickening roller-coaster type feeling in my stomach. Before I knew it I was lying on my back, my chest was a mess of blood, my left wrist looking like something from Frankenstein and had some gashes in my right arm deep enough to fit my entire thumb into. The first few seconds after I realised what had happened, i had a crushing pain in my chest and couldn’t breathe, and kinda felt like I was dying, so I yelled out “Fuck! I’m dying! I’m dying!” at which point I realised that I was actually alive - although I did suspect that I might have some major internal injuries. The driver, who had managed to hang on to the bike for much longer before coming off ran over to me, and his face just went white when he saw me - also thought I was dying (didn’t help that I had shouted it out) - but he thought I had been impaled on the 9 inch stel rebar sticking out of the roadside. I was lying in a position just between the rebar (which was sticking out of the roadside everywhere), pretty much the only place where I could have landed without being impaled… Couldn’t believe my “luck”. Anyway, there were hardly any cars out here, neither of us could speak enough chinese to call 119 and explain where we were(and were way too panicky and pumped on adrenalin to think of any solution), so we had to wait until a car came past… the first 2 sped past and refused to stop, finally we got one to stop, and the ambulance arrived - 30 minutes later. Didn’t bother to check me for a broken neck or anything like that, just dumped me in the back. Spent the next 4 months with pins in my shattered wrist. That was last november, my left wrist still doesn’t work properly, although I do have some pretty impressive scars on my chest and arms. Pretty stoopid huh? I don’t think I’ll ever ride a big bike on the road again - on a track, yeah, where nothing’s gonna run out in front of me etc, but on the road, there are just way too many risks…

:astonished: … crazy stuff. So it was another foreigner that gave you the test ride on the VTR? I’m guessing the bike was legal…in which case it would have to be insured and you should have gotten the maximum amount from his insurance company…am I right?

No, the bike wasn’t legal - and it wasn’t even his, he was selling it for a friend who had left Taiwan. So, I didn’t get anything, although he did offer to pay for my hospital bill - my 5 day hospital stay and surgery only came to 6 or 7000NT, so it wasn’t too bad, although the frequent doctor visits and physiotherapy after that probably ended up costing a few thousand more. Luckily, the cops let the incident go since no other party was involved (and probably didn’t feel like the hassle of foriegner paperwork…)

Well, my bikes insured. If you want I’ll take you for a spin on it. That way when we crash you can try to get a mil from my insurance.

Yeah, sounds good man… I’m a crash magnet, don’t know why I’ve never thought of pulling some insurance scams… lol :smiley:

I slipped on wet paving tiles outside a KTV during the typhoon rain. Did the inadvertent splits, split my trousers and pulled a ligament on the inside of my thigh in front of a crowd of giggling xiaojies dressed up in their KTV finery.
That was my worst spill for quite some time.

Serves you right for driving on the pavement. Tee hee.:laughing:

Seriously, I hate it when people see you make a clutz out of yourself. Like letting go of you bike without putting the stand down.

There are always people there. Why???

last week while waiting at a crosswalk for the light to change I noticed a very pretty girl with her scooter parked on the crosswalk yaking on her phone.
When she was finished she, without looking, pulled into the 4 lane intersection running the red light and got t-boned by an oncoming car.
she bounced.

It was ugly, I still feel sick. :frowning: