Would creative work published outside of Taiwan violate the terms of your work permit?

I mean for example if you write a novel while working here as a teacher, then get it published in the US. Or even just some articles for a US newspaper.

Does anyone know which laws apply here?

Solution: Get married to a local . Then you can work anywhere.
As far as I know, you can work at as many places in Taiwan as you like as long as you get a permit for it. You can now have multiple permits.

My guess is that work outside the island should be OK, but I think you better check on that. It’s not the permit, it’s the taxes you must care about

Solution for the novel: don’t get married. Just spend years writing it on your vacations outside of Taiwan. :innocent:

Solution for the foreign correspondent position: get married. :doh:

I think there’s nothing to be worried about. Could Taiwan give you a work permit to publish work outside Taiwan? I don’t think so.
If they can’t show you to do it, so they can’t deny you either :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
But as @The_Seeker said: Better check about the taxes

The question isn’t really about permission to publish. You need a work permit to work as a journalist. If you know of exceptions (I mean legal exceptions), please share your information. :slight_smile:

As for tax:

Income Tax Act Art. 4
http://law.moj.gov.tw/Eng/LawClass/LawSearchNo.aspx?PC=G0340003&DF=&SNo=4

Income tax on the following categories of income shall be exempted: […]

1. Individual income derived from written articles, copyright books, musical compositions, musical productions, dramas, cartoons, or as remuneration for speeches and lectures on an hourly basis. However, the total amount of such income for the whole year shall not exceed NT$ 180,000;

That refers to the exemptions only. I’m not sure of the reason for this… but it seems to be exempt from certain taxes. It’s not a restriction on the pursuit of such work.

If you decide to work off island, you may be entitled to double taxation benefits, if you live in area with such a deal. The government cannot restrict you from doing such work, nor can they permit it… it’s simply outside their jurisdiction as far as I know. To apply for a permit to do such work, the entity with which you deal would need to apply for a business license here in order to employ you. This just won’t fly for many companies who have no connection with the island otherwise. A business license would mean establishing a presence here, pay taxes and do business here. Otherwise how can the local government even know legally. You may be liable for such taxes, esp. if the money is brought here.