Write a negative restaurant review in Taiwan and go to jail

And now for something even sillier.

I wonder if this was the same judge that ruled a 2 year old girl was too young to indicate her unwillingness to engage in sex acts. This place is Fcuekd.

Absolutely disgusting. I’ll be making DAMN sure my colleagues see this and that someone writes a piece on it. The judiciary is already in DEEP, DEEP shit in the eyes of the public and this will only add fuel to the fire. Morons in robes.

Are you aware that you are criticizing the judge that made this ruling? :smiley:
You are all going away for life :wink:

I wonder if there was a bit of back-door dealing with the judiciary in this case. It’s been known to happen.

I would love to know the restaurant so we could call and give him a hard time for persuing this matter.

I had an argument just about the same issue a few month ago.

Here is the article in question. http://www.taiwan-taipei.com/info_about_taipei/Tai_restaurant_in_Taipei.php
I always assumed that you could get sued if the owner of a business does not like what you have to say.

As far as I know, she did not get sued for the salty soup only. She also said things like cockroaches and dirty etc.

It is probably ok to say; " For my taste, the soup was a little to salty and I don’t think that I 'll go there again"
instead of; " Don’t go there! this place is disgusting."

I really like this website. There are a few details…no, actually, just one or two…that might be looked at. What I am saying is that when one looks at the page, there might be (and I could totally be wrong about this), there might be a detail that is just not, erm, well, let’s just say OH MY GOD WHAT IS THAT THING IN MY ROOM? Oh. A shadow.

Anyway, what a beautiful website. I hope you all agree.

(The emoticons sure are tiny, aren’t they?)

Well then, maybe we should encourage the government to do more requiring a law degree and a passing test score to become a judge.

Not theoretically, they could definitely sue for defamation.

I agree, the judiciary here is a complete joke, what with the guy that got 5 days for sticking his middle finger up at somebody and now this…
Lawsuits have been very common among business people and now everybody is it at it, I think one of the reasons, apart from the poor legal and judicial system, is that you do not need to pay the defendants costs if you lose.

Somebody asked about back door dealing, while it does happen from my personal experience the prosecutors in Taiwan are over eager, and it often seems to be a case of proving your innocence than proving guilt, in addition cases can be retried multiple times. I believe prosecutors want to create a ‘successful’ record of prosecutions and many/most judges were former prosecutors, that’s my impression I guess Robin in Taiwan and others can explain more clearly.

[quote=“Ryan the third”]Are you aware that you are criticizing the judge that made this ruling? :smiley:
You are all going away for life :wink:[/quote]
We can split the reward for turning them in. I’m taking names and gathering evidence.

I am glad the provincial government is keeping the social order. They are noble and wise.

I read the article and thought that maybe the judge had a stake in the place somehow.

It’s okay to call the city hotline to anonymously report the filth and cockroaches to the authorities, though. They’ll get hit with a spot inspection, orders to clean up, and a follow-up inspection. And they won’t be able to sue you. :smiley:

I’ve talked with people here who agree with the judge’s decision, saying that people should know better than to criticize the restaurant online. It’s depressing, but this is why this system has continued for so long; many people support it.

It is why papers like the Taipei Times are considered mere arsewipe. They’ve known this for a very long time, as have the Chinese press, no doubt. It’s why a restaurant review in the Taipei Times or any other local dishrag isn’t worth the ink used to print it. Nobody takes it for anything other than a sycophantic puff piece. Column filler, nothing more.
CHRIST! Can you even IMAGINE that happening anywhere else? What a fucking joke! Free rambunctious press in Taiwan? You have GOT to be kidding me!

[quote=“Mawvellous”]This is a report in Chinese.
udn.com/NEWS/SOCIETY/SOC6/6413663.shtml

The Taipei Times has translated this as 30 days in detention and 2 years probation. I’m guessing that the correct translation should be a 30 day suspended sentence, so she has not actually be jailed.[/quote]

Mawvellous and Cranky have it right: a sentence of 30 days detention, suspended for 2 years (i.e. unless she violates the terms of the suspension, she will not do any time).

The argument people use to penalize criticism is that “it hurts business”. However, when TV/magazine say that X or Y restaurant is the cat’s payamas, everyone and their cousin lines up for hours and has to try it because “it’s famous”… sigh

Which has to hurt the sixty-eight other places on the same block who are selling the same thing.

Those people are fucking morons. As are a vast number of lawyers in this country, and this looks to me like shit legal work by the defense.

People are allowed to give opinions in this society, how the fuck can they prove that the author’s opinion caused damages to this restaurant?

Hey wait, can I sue the lady at my gym who called me ‘big nose’?