XP support ending--move to Linux?

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]Yeah I found Gparted easy to use and effective.

I don’t like bars of any kind on top of my screen. Might have to find an alternative to Pinguy, seems like it can’t be moved from that position there and in some other Ubuntu versions.[/quote]

In gnome classic, hold the ALT key while moving the mouse over that bar. You’ll see the mouse change to a hand on a left click.Now you can move the bar to the right and then down.
ALT key and a right click you’ll have the option menue.

[quote=“Hamletintaiwan”][quote=“Tempo Gain”]Yeah I found Gparted easy to use and effective.

I don’t like bars of any kind on top of my screen. Might have to find an alternative to Pinguy, seems like it can’t be moved from that position there and in some other Ubuntu versions.[/quote]

In gnome classic, hold the ALT key while moving the mouse over that bar. You’ll see the mouse change to a hand on a left click.Now you can move the bar to the right and then down.
ALT key and a right click you’ll have the option menue.[/quote]

but pinguy uses gnome 3

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]That’s exactly what I want it to look like–one bar for tabs and one for address, no others. I’ve been seeing another header bar with the current page title at top.

Gnome-tweak-tool is even in the Mini version (what I’ve tested so far–waiting for the final to install)[/quote]

if you are under standard ubuntu, then you could follow this page to remove the top decoration. but since you are using pinguy, and gnome 3 uses mutter instead of compiz as its compositor, this guide probably isn’t going to fly.

webupd8.org/2011/03/firefox- … -like.html

found the gnome 3 solution in the form of a simple firefox addon:
addons.mozilla.org/EN-us/firefox/addon/htitle/

hope that works in pinguy.

We’ll see! Still waiting for that final.

I think I’m going to give Linux Mint a try at the end of May when the next LTS version is supposed to come out. I’m hoping to move over to Linux at some point in the future for most of the tasks I need to do.

I wonder how much work it is to upgrade from one version of Linux to the next, assuming I’m using the same Linux distro. Do most people usually do clean installs when upgrading to the next higher version, or is there a way to upgrade your operating system while still keeping all of your programs and settings? The easier it would be, the better. However, I’m assuming a clean install is the recommend way, as it usually is with Windows. I did a very quick search on this topic online, but I didn’t really find a quick answer that was easy to understand.

Thanks to all that have shared their knowledge on this thread. I’m hoping to join you soon as a fellow Linux user. I’m pretty lazy when it comes to installing software, and I’m still using XP on the same Windows installation that I’ve been using for the past 5 years without any clean reinstall. I know I could benefit from a reinstall, but I’m damn lazy and the computer’s speed is still acceptable to me.

As long you you choose to keep your /home during install, either by choosing the right install option or by keeping /home in a separate partition from your system directories and make sure not to format it when you are in the custom select partitions menu during install, then all your files and user configurations would be kept.

Then after install, all you need to do is reinstall your programs. At first I didn’t like the fact that I had to reinstall none-default programs, but after a while it seems like a good way to get rid of programs I don’t really need.

you could also do what this thread says
askubuntu.com/questions/5649/bac … ing-ubuntu

For me, the thing I always have to do is to reconfigure my gcin (my preferred Taiwanese Chinese, Japanese, Korean IME system) and unicode fonts so I can type and see characters such as 㗊.

It really depends on how heavy are the new changes, between LTS (so, every 3Y), it may be preferable to reinstall it. (Although I used to split my / and my /home, like that in case of reinstallation it takes me a 20mn and I got all my files ready)
But I moved away from Ubuntu to use Sabayon (I love it!)

[quote=“dudumomo”]It really depends on how heavy are the new changes, between LTS (so, every 3Y), it may be preferable to reinstall it. (Although I used to split my / and my /home, like that in case of reinstallation it takes me a 20mn and I got all my files ready)
But I moved away from Ubuntu to use Sabayon (I love it!)[/quote]

You can upgrade to a new release, but I feel better if I do a complete reinstall. I don’t find that to be a very onerous task. The actual process takes under an hour, but it will be a few days before you have everything tweaked to your liking.

A “complete reinstall” should include reformatting the partition (that’s an option you have to select by checking a box during installation - the default will be to not reformat). Reformatting will wipe out any trace of the previously installed OS, which means that space will be freed for use. You are presented with a choice of filesystems when reformatting - best choice at this point in time is ext4 in my opinion, but there are other contenders. If you find the topic of filesystems interesting, a couple of quick reads:

The best Linux file system of all?
blogs.computerworld.com/15413/th … tem_of_all

LinuxFilesystemsExplained
help.ubuntu.com/community/Linux … sExplained

As dudumomo said above, as long as you keep /home in a separate partition, you don’t even have to reinstall your data. However, you should be in the habit of periodically backing up the /home partition to an external USB hard drive, USB memory sticks, DVDs, or even to “the Cloud.” Never put all your faith in the computer’s hard drive - it can fail, and without a backup you can kiss your data good-bye. That would be true no matter which operating system you’re using.

cheers,
DB

I have all the system files and programs in my SSD, and mount /home into my SATA HDD. I do clean installations for each release, and get to keep my files. The bonus for doing this is, since most programs store their configuration files in /home as hidden files, I just have to install the programs and they automatically load the right configurations.

As for the backups, all my company files are automatically synced to Dropbox, so I don’t have to worry about that. And the remaining files (media in general) are all uploaded to my NAS.

[quote=“Dog’s_Breakfast”]

As dudumomo said above, as long as you keep /home in a separate partition, you don’t even have to reinstall your data. However, you should be in the habit of periodically backing up the /home partition to an external USB hard drive, USB memory sticks, DVDs, or even to “the Cloud.” Never put all your faith in the computer’s hard drive - it can fail, and without a backup you can kiss your data good-bye. That would be true no matter which operating system you’re using.

cheers,
DB[/quote]

well, don’t put your faith in high capacity NAND that’s in your USB memory sticks or SSDs either…

Thank you so much for the replies, guys. I greatly appreciate it. I guess I’ll probably try to go for a clean reinstall every few years, but I may try both ways just to see how it is.

Usually, the clean install is the way to go if you want to be absolutely sure to have the latest upgrades and not be bothered by ghost packages lurking around your storage. That said, if you pick an LTS, you should be pretty fine for a long while without reinstalling.

It’s been said that Canonical wants to change the whole update delivery in Ubuntu to a rolling updates system, that would mean no whole system updates every 6 months, but small, continous updates, which would probably improve the whole experience and guarantee a more updated system without having to add a lot of PPAs to your software sources.

Got three machines in my (shared) office, all pretty ancient and all running XP.

No sign of any migration plan from the IT department, but since their main role/core skill seems to be drinking tea, I’m not very surprised.

(A long time ago I had a proper job doing network support for Treasury and Capital Markets Trading floors, so dealing with these clowns is a bit rough on my blood pressure, and I tend to avoid it, which is probably fine by them.)

Anyway, about a year ago the hard disk failed on one of the machines and, after a lot of nagging, it was given a replacement and re-install of XP and Office by the IT dept, which killed performance (can take 10 minutes to get to a directory) and massively increased the frequency of “Windows has installed a critical security update .blah blah which required a restart of your computer.”

Since it did this several times a day, I was rather looking forward to XP EOL, but its STILL DOING IT.

What gives, d’yall think?

[quote=“Ducked”]Got three machines in my (shared) office, all pretty ancient and all running XP.

No sign of any migration plan from the IT department, but since their main role/core skill seems to be drinking tea, I’m not very surprised.

(A long time ago I had a proper job doing network support for Treasury and Capital Markets Trading floors, so dealing with these clowns is a bit rough on my blood pressure, and I tend to avoid it, which is probably fine by them.)

Anyway, about a year ago the hard disk failed on one of the machines and, after a lot of nagging, it was given a replacement and re-install of XP and Office by the IT dept, which killed performance (can take 10 minutes to get to a directory) and massively increased the frequency of “Windows has installed a critical security update .blah blah which required a restart of your computer.”

Since it did this several times a day, I was rather looking forward to XP EOL, but its STILL DOING IT.

What gives, d’yall think?[/quote]

A lot of this… “Microsoft ended the support for windows xp” doesn’t seem to be correct, entirely.

Windows xp embedded for example, will be updated for some more years to come.
These versions run in many machines like MRT ticket or ATMs etc.
I think the corporate edition will be able to install updates also.
Another choice is to downgrade to windows 2003 server edition.

Anyhow, open source is the way to go.

They appear to have patched XP for the OpenSSL issue, so I’m not sure how seriously I take their ‘ending support’ announcements.

[quote=“scomargo”] I did a very quick search on this topic online, but I didn’t really find a quick answer that was easy to understand.
.[/quote]

Of course you didn’t. That would be The End of UNIX As We Know It.

…what? You seem to be confused,

wait no more, full final of Pinguy OS’ 14.04 release is here

sourceforge.net/projects/pinguy- … _LTS/Full/

…what? You seem to be confused,[/quote]

That’s what I get for trusting the word of a USNH IT guy who’s married to an OT I work with… >.<