XP support ending--move to Linux?

Guild Wars 2.
MS Word/Excel 2010 (just to open the hellish .docx stuff, I do almost everything else with LibreOffice)

Guild Wars 2.
MS Word/Excel 2010 (just to open the hellish .docx stuff, I do almost everything else with LibreOffice)[/quote]

Pokerstars

Ahhh got it going. Is there nothing that cannot be done with this Linux? Will it pour me another bourbon? Anyway, Iā€™m sold. Theyā€™ll have to drag me back. I have a nifty clock on my desktop and the bar at the bottom is set up with some bells and whistles

I think itā€™s share your desktop time :bravo:

Nothing fancy, but I like it

Dat Conky.

yep

I use Conky with the Harmattan Transparent skin (and I tweaked the fonts and some texts in the config file):

I think one of the greatest things about Linux is the freedom of choice and the ability to customize whatever you want.

I have IrfanView running under WINE (Linux Mint 16), but I havenā€™t figured out how to associate .jpg (or other graphic) files with IrfanView; instead, clicking on the files opens them in the gawdawful gThumb.

You canā€™t. You have to manually open the program and open them from the menu. Sucks, I know, but it is what it is.

You canā€™t. You have to manually open the program and open them from the menu. Sucks, I know, but it is what it is.[/quote]

I think there is a way to do it. If you install ubuntu-tweak, thereā€™s a File Type Manager in tehre, and you can select which application to use with JPEG. Thereā€™s a commandline option that you can enter yourself and trigger wine to open the image with infranview.

to install via PPA:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tualatrix/ppa sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install ubuntu-tweak

You canā€™t. You have to manually open the program and open them from the menu. Sucks, I know, but it is what it is.[/quote]

Well actually, you can. Though Iā€™m not sure how well it will work with Wine. I donā€™t do Wine, and thus never experienced the joy of IrfanView. I use geeqie for file viewing. Right now, Iā€™m running Xubuntu as my desktop, and the default graphics image view that pops up is called ristretto. I didnā€™t care for it much, so decided to see if I could do what you wanted. Hereā€™s the method I used, but there is probably more than one way to do it, and your mileage may varyā€¦

Most Linux programs reside in the folder /usr/bin. For example, /usr/bin/ristretto and /usr/bin/geeqie. This is probably NOT the case with Wine. Since I donā€™t use ristretto for anything, the first thing I did was disable (not delete, disable) it by renaming it something else:

mv /usr/bin/ristretto /usr/bin/ristretto.original

Next step was to create a symbolic link from geeqie to ristretto

ln -s /usr/bin/geeqie /usr/bin/ristretto

Thatā€™s it. Next time I use my file browser to click on a .jpg image, it opens up in geeqie.

If I ever wanted to undo all this, I would have to perform the above steps in reverse:

rm /usr/bin/ristretto (this deletes the symbolic link)
mv /usr/bin/ristretto.original /usr/bin/ristretto

Please note that you need to be careful doing all of the above. When you are root and messing with system files, you can break things.

I know you specifically asked about IrfanView, and I canā€™t help you there since itā€™s a Windows program. I do suggest taking a look at geeqie, but if you donā€™t like it, a good alternative is gwenview.

If IrfanView had a native Linux version or if there was a Linux graphics viewer/editor that behaved like Irfanview, I would use it. I have yet to find a program that behaves like Irfanview (i.e. I can immediately put my pointer on the image, select a rectangular area, and crop it. I can rotate the image by as many degrees as I please, in order to straighten it out. And I can resize, change color saturation, etc. with ease. And itā€™s a small, fast program).

you could have added an alias in your ~/.profile or ~/.bashrc

alias ristretto=geeqie

source ~/.profile

itā€™s best not to mess with superuser stuff when you donā€™t have to.

I like gthumb, heard good things about XnViewMP

apps.ubuntu.com/cat/application ā€¦ se/gthumb/

apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/xnviewmp/

[quote=ā€œTempo Gainā€]Nothing fancy, but I like it

[/quote]

I need to find a chillaxing wallpaper like that :bravo:

[quote=ā€œhansiouxā€][quote=ā€œDogā€™s_Breakfastā€]

ln -s /usr/bin/geeqie /usr/bin/ristretto
[/quote]

you could have added an alias in your ~/.profile or ~/.bashrc

alias ristretto=geeqie

source ~/.profile

itā€™s best not to mess with superuser stuff when you donā€™t have to.[/quote]

Hmmmā€¦I just tried that. Also added the alias to .bashrc to make sure it works from an Xterm. Then logged-out logged-in. Typing ā€œaliasā€ at the command line shows the alias is active, and indeed typing ā€œristrettoā€ at the command line launches geeqie instead. So far so good, but when I tried the file manager and clicked on a graphic image file, ristretto still launches by default. Tried again after a reboot - same result.

Nevertheless, I agree with you Hansioux that itā€™s better not to mess with system files if you can avoid it, but sometimes you have to. It is indeed risky if you donā€™t know what youā€™re doing.

cheers,
DB

It used to be that you could just right click the file in Nautilus and then select others. There you were also presented with enter a custom command.
After entering that command, you could check mark this for using it as a default option.

This option has gone and I am looking for this option as well.
There is only show more Applications, and if your program is not listed then thatā€™s it.

If you find a way to reverse this change, please let me know.

OK I think I answered it.

Open alacarte if not present install it.

In Gnome classic, open Main Menu under preferences or use the terminal and type alacarte.
Then add a new item to the graphics menu and enter the command for running the program.
Your wine installations will now show up in the context menu of Nautilus. Open with other Application, Show more Applications.

Hope that helps.

[quote=ā€œhansiouxā€]
I think there is a way to do it. If you install ubuntu-tweak, thereā€™s a File Type Manager in tehre, and you can select which application to use with JPEG. Thereā€™s a commandline option that you can enter yourself and trigger wine to open the image with infranview.

to install via PPA:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tualatrix/ppa sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install ubuntu-tweak[/quote]

by the way, I still find my suggestion the easiest way to go about adding file associations (mime type associations).

But if you donā€™t really want to install a program to do it, the real way to do it is through editing

/usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache
and
/usr/share/applications/mimeapps.list
or
~/.local/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache
and
~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list

To add wine applications to it, your wine application should have a .desktop file associated with it. So infranview should have a infranview.desktop somewhere, usually under your ~/Desktop

replace that with eog or what ever was listed in your mineinfo.cache and mimeapps.list, and you should be good to goā€¦ in theory