XP support ending--move to Linux?

Ok
Normally, you right click on that jpeg file and select properties.
There you’ll see open with, click on it and hopefully, you can see your wine program there.
Select it and click on Set as default.
If it’s not visible do as described by hansioux.

Or try my approach, I only had the wine programs listed after adding one program through alacarte.

By the way Ubuntu 14.04 doesn’t have gksudo installed by default anymore.
So before editing any configuration files in a text editor like gedit

[code]sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install gksudo

then
gksudo gedit blablabla.config[/code]

gedit can be leafpad or any other text-editor you prefer using.
Don’t use sudo to open normal GUI-programs like Nautilus, Firefox texteditor etc.

Thanks, I’ll try these suggestions.

Right clicking and selecting properties gives me choices, but none of them are IrfanView under Wine. So I’ll have to follow the instructions to make it visible.

(I use Mint 16, which I LOVE because it behaves much like Windows.)

And is behaving like Windows supposed to be a plus?

[quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote=“hansioux”]
that’s good to know. nvidia’s driver support has always been… a bit incomplete. It’s getting better for newer GPUs after Linus Torvald gave them the finger, but with legacy display cards it’s a hit or miss.[/quote]

Seems to be working good. Seem to have eliminated the last annoying issue I was having (black screen flashing for a second when opening certain programs or going to fullscreen) with a display driver setting. I like it so far! Now need to get Wine working, no success yet.[/quote]

I think I have some idea were this black screen flash might come from.
I hooked a new monitor on my old pc today. The video card is NVIDIA 256MB ram also.
When opening certain programs like system settings the screen went black for a second.

I then set up the pc with two identical monitors, both 22 inch, one on the VGA and the other on the DVI port connector.

Anyhow, after booting, the primary monitor which was on the DVI connector, stayed stable while the other monitor went black every time I opened system settings or related programs.
I use an DVI to VGA adapter in order to connect to the monitor.

My monitor has both DVI and VGA but the former stopped working a while back, maybe I should retry. I fixed issue by disabling “allow flipping” in driver

I don’t have a DVI port on the monitor. I use a DVI to VGA adapter in order to connect the VGA monitor into the DVI socket on the video card.
Anyhow, if it’s fixed no need to screw around.

[quote=“Hamletintaiwan”][quote=“Ducked”]Got three machines in my (shared) office, all pretty ancient and all running XP.

No sign of any migration plan from the IT department, but since their main role/core skill seems to be drinking tea, I’m not very surprised.

(A long time ago I had a proper job doing network support for Treasury and Capital Markets Trading floors, so dealing with these clowns is a bit rough on my blood pressure, and I tend to avoid it, which is probably fine by them.)

Anyway, about a year ago the hard disk failed on one of the machines and, after a lot of nagging, it was given a replacement and re-install of XP and Office by the IT dept, which killed performance (can take 10 minutes to get to a directory) and massively increased the frequency of “Windows has installed a critical security update .blah blah which required a restart of your computer.”

Since it did this several times a day, I was rather looking forward to XP EOL, but its STILL DOING IT.

What gives, d’yall think?[/quote]

A lot of this… “Microsoft ended the support for windows xp” doesn’t seem to be correct, entirely.

Windows xp embedded for example, will be updated for some more years to come.
These versions run in many machines like MRT ticket or ATMs etc.
I think the corporate edition will be able to install updates also.
Another choice is to downgrade to windows 2003 server edition.

Anyhow, open source is the way to go.[/quote]

So the crack is here!
If you want to update your XP with the XP-embedded updates, here is a tutorial on how to do this.

http://www.zdnet.com/registry-hack-enables-continued-updates-for-windows-xp-7000029851/

To apply the hack, create a text file with a .reg extension and the contents below:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady] 
"Installed"=dword:00000001

Run it by double-clicking in Windows Explorer. After this is done, if you run Windows Update, it will find several updates,

[quote=“Hamletintaiwan”][quote=“Hamletintaiwan”][quote=“Ducked”]Got three machines in my (shared) office, all pretty ancient and all running XP.

No sign of any migration plan from the IT department, but since their main role/core skill seems to be drinking tea, I’m not very surprised.

(A long time ago I had a proper job doing network support for Treasury and Capital Markets Trading floors, so dealing with these clowns is a bit rough on my blood pressure, and I tend to avoid it, which is probably fine by them.)

Anyway, about a year ago the hard disk failed on one of the machines and, after a lot of nagging, it was given a replacement and re-install of XP and Office by the IT dept, which killed performance (can take 10 minutes to get to a directory) and massively increased the frequency of “Windows has installed a critical security update .blah blah which required a restart of your computer.”

Since it did this several times a day, I was rather looking forward to XP EOL, but its STILL DOING IT.

What gives, d’yall think?[/quote]

A lot of this… “Microsoft ended the support for windows xp” doesn’t seem to be correct, entirely.

Windows xp embedded for example, will be updated for some more years to come.
These versions run in many machines like MRT ticket or ATMs etc.
I think the corporate edition will be able to install updates also.
Another choice is to downgrade to windows 2003 server edition.

Anyhow, open source is the way to go.[/quote]

So the crack is here!
If you want to update your XP with the XP-embedded updates, here is a tutorial on how to do this.

http://www.zdnet.com/registry-hack-enables-continued-updates-for-windows-xp-7000029851/

To apply the hack, create a text file with a .reg extension and the contents below:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady] 
"Installed"=dword:00000001

Run it by double-clicking in Windows Explorer. After this is done, if you run Windows Update, it will find several updates,[/quote]

They don’t recommend that, since they say the Embedded updates aren’t tested under XP, and they say something could break. If that’s not enough as a warning, think about this: if when they said that a product was awesome (cue in for WinME and Vista) it kind of sucked, when they say it can break… well, run for your life!

I like Libre Writer well enough but I really miss Word’s document preview window (so you can get a preview of the doc before you open it.) Anyone know of any Linux word processors with this feature?

I’m not sure (because I don’t have any use for this feature), but maybe installing the preview feature for Nautilus (file browser) would work for you:

apps.ubuntu.com/cat/application … ome-sushi/

I think that KDE’s Dolphin file browser has this feature too, though you might have to enable it.

Again, I don’t use either of the above, but I would appreciate it if you can report any success (or lack thereof) with these file browsers.

For myself, I use command line tools like grep to search through unopened files to look for specific content. But I realize that not everybody would want to do that. We all have our own way of working, and once you get into the habit of doing things a certain way, there is a tendency to stick with it.

cheers,
DB

sudo apt-get install gnome-sushi

will get you gnome-sushi. If that preview tool isn’t working out, you can try the more established gloobus

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:gloobus-dev/gloobus-preview
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gloobus-preview gloobus-sushi
sudo apt-get install unoconv

if you use a file browser other than nautilus, gloobus would be the way to go, as it supports nautilus, Nemo, and others.

Sorry, not to butt in, but are any of you guys using an iPod with Linux (in my case Mint Mate)? I seem to be having all sorts of problems getting videos onto my 5.5G iPod Video now. Keep getting messages that it’s not an acceptable format (it definitely is [m4v, right screen resolution, etc]). Music goes over no problem. I’ve tried Floola, gtkpod, Banshee, etc. I used to be able to do it, though I haven’t done it for a while and am probably on a newer version of Mint since I last did it. I’m sure I’m lacking a codec, but can’t figure out what it is. Oh yeah, I can PLAY the video inside Banshee no problem, but it still refuses to transfer over to the iPod.

Much as I hate to, I go into Windows and do it there, and…no problemo. Syncs no problem. Plays on the iPod no problem.

Thanks guys! For what I do DB I really rely on a quick visual scan–verbal tags won’t cut it. I might do that hansioux. sushi doesn’t seem to be working. I’ll try and figure out if I’m missing something first

[quote=“irishstu”]Sorry, not to butt in, but are any of you guys using an iPod with Linux (in my case Mint Mate)? I seem to be having all sorts of problems getting videos onto my 5.5G iPod Video now. Keep getting messages that it’s not an acceptable format (it definitely is [m4v, right screen resolution, etc]). Music goes over no problem. I’ve tried Floola, gtkpod, Banshee, etc. I used to be able to do it, though I haven’t done it for a while and am probably on a newer version of Mint since I last did it. I’m sure I’m lacking a codec, but can’t figure out what it is. Oh yeah, I can PLAY the video inside Banshee no problem, but it still refuses to transfer over to the iPod.

Much as I hate to, I go into Windows and do it there, and…no problemo. Syncs no problem. Plays on the iPod no problem.[/quote]

hmm, used ipod nano with Linux, but I mostly used it for music and never tried video.

if you used to be able to do this and no longer can, one possible issue is with the change to ffmpeg package, try this:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mc3man/trusty-media sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg

[quote=“irishstu”]
Much as I hate to, I go into Windows and do it there, and…no problemo. Syncs no problem. Plays on the iPod no problem.[/quote]

I know nothing about iPod and my hatred for Apple guarantees I’ll never own one. But I did some searching to see what I could find out. Most of what I found says that Apple does everything it can to cause trouble for Linux by changing its standards periodically, but there are solutions.

Arch Linux has a wiki which is very informative, but complex:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/IPod

The part of that wiki which I think might solve your problem:

Most sources said that gtkpod is the simplest for management, so maybe it’s best to stick with that.

[quote=“irishstu”]Sorry, not to butt in, but are any of you guys using an iPod with Linux (in my case Mint Mate)? I seem to be having all sorts of problems getting videos onto my 5.5G iPod Video now. Keep getting messages that it’s not an acceptable format (it definitely is [m4v, right screen resolution, etc]). Music goes over no problem. I’ve tried Floola, gtkpod, Banshee, etc. I used to be able to do it, though I haven’t done it for a while and am probably on a newer version of Mint since I last did it. I’m sure I’m lacking a codec, but can’t figure out what it is. Oh yeah, I can PLAY the video inside Banshee no problem, but it still refuses to transfer over to the iPod.

I use Linux with an iPad2, and I’ve used successfully with my old iPhone 3GS and my wife’s iPhone 5. You need to make sure you install the last version of libimobiledevice: launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libimobiledevice

You can do that from the command line or from synaptic (my favourite method).

Once you have that, you can just plug the iPod/iPhone/iPad on the USB port (with the cable). Then two folders automount: the root directory of the iDevice (read only unless yours is jailbroken), and another folder for applications. You open that one, and you have an icon for every app you have installed. You enter the directory for the app, select the Documents folder, and you can drag and drop there whatever file you need dropped. Unmount the device, and you’re good to go.

For all my video needs, I used to use oPlayer, but then after the AC3 audio codec fiasco, the videos with that codec were muted. Then I changed to VLC, and works flawlessly with any video I throw at it (even the .FLV flash videos). I haven’t encountered yet a single video that doesn’t work with VLC.

Just make sure you unmount the iDevice before unplugging it from the USB port, or you’ll have to restart it (and your linux file browser, too).

Hi guys, thanks for the pointers. Just to clarify, my computer has no problem seeing my iPod or synching music across with it. It’s just videos. So I don’t think there’s any problem with communication.

[quote=“hansioux”]if you used to be able to do this and no longer can, one possible issue is with the change to ffmpeg package, try this:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mc3man/trusty-media sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg[/quote]

hansioux, I tried this last night. The first line of code worked fine (by which I mean it didn’t give me any errors). The second keeps stuffing up. It had some problems getting updates from trusty-media. Are you sure that repo is still at that address/spelt correctly?

EDIT: I’m not on the latest Linux Mint. Maybe on 13-something.

[quote=“irishstu”]

EDIT: I’m not on the latest Linux Mint. Maybe on 13-something.[/quote]

In that case it’s probably not what’s causing your problem, but then I can’t figure out why it would stop working either…

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“irishstu”]

EDIT: I’m not on the latest Linux Mint. Maybe on 13-something.[/quote]

In that case it’s probably not what’s causing your problem, but then I can’t figure out why it would stop working either…[/quote]

Well I was thinking of upgrading anyway, so I’ll do so and report back if I’m still having any issues. Thanks again for your help.

Ahh geez. I just got a new phone and the newer Android version on it uses MTP (or the even less useful PTP) instead of Mass Storage. Ubuntu doesn’t support that.

What a pain. Anyone got that working?