XP support ending--move to Linux?

[quote=“irishstu”]Ahh geez. I just got a new phone and the newer Android version on it uses MTP (or the even less useful PTP) instead of Mass Storage. Ubuntu doesn’t support that.

What a pain. Anyone got that working?[/quote]

You can use Go-mtpfs in unity.

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/12/how-to-mount-android-40-ubuntu-go-mtpfs.html

Thanks. I don’t use Unity (actually I have Mint Mate, which uses Gnome). I did go through the lengthy process of trying to get Go-mtpfs working last night, but I got stuck with the vendor/product ID for my Padfone E (anyone know the answer to that one?)

Anyway, I may give this one a go tonight. Seems like an easier solution: webupd8.org/2013/01/upgrade- … rt-in.html

[quote=“irishstu”]Thanks. I don’t use Unity (actually I have Mint Mate, which uses Gnome). I did go through the lengthy process of trying to get Go-mtpfs working last night, but I got stuck with the vendor/product ID for my Padfone E (anyone know the answer to that one?)

Anyway, I may give this one a go tonight. Seems like an easier solution: webupd8.org/2013/01/upgrade- … rt-in.html[/quote]

vendor/product IDs can be found using watch --no-title lsusb

[quote=“hansioux”][quote=“irishstu”]Thanks. I don’t use Unity (actually I have Mint Mate, which uses Gnome). I did go through the lengthy process of trying to get Go-mtpfs working last night, but I got stuck with the vendor/product ID for my Padfone E (anyone know the answer to that one?)

Anyway, I may give this one a go tonight. Seems like an easier solution: webupd8.org/2013/01/upgrade- … rt-in.html[/quote]

vendor/product IDs can be found using watch --no-title lsusb[/quote]

Thanks but I don’t think the phone is showing up in lsusb. (EDIT: I definitely isn’t)

Anyway, I just realised the phone is actually a T008, and I think the article I was following used a T008 as the example, along with the Product ID, etc., so hopefully I can just copy it exactly. (EDIT: It wasn’t)

Just a quick update.

I updated the motherboard BIOS, since some of the USB 2.0 ports were showing up as 1.1 (not sure if this was a BIOS issue or a driver issue), and updated Mint to 17. Plugged in the phone and the SD card showed up straight away.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

ok, I’ve been using noMachine NX (not FS-PC, I know…) to connect to my lab computer for a long time. Recently I decided to upgrade my lab PC to Ubuntu 14.04 (twas old as fart), and suddenly noMachine NX cannot connect to gnome-fallback session as I’ve previously setup. So I thought I could try LXDE as my default NX desktop, after some settings, it’s frigging amazeballs.

I think I can get used to lxde :sunglasses:

Cool. I might give that a spin on my netbook.

A few minor cosmetic tweaks will make LXDE look as modern as the next DE, that is if one prefers the classic desktop metaphor.

LXDE is too spartan for me. I’m sticking to Ubuntu for my desktop, and Xubuntu for my legacy machines (it’s much more customizable than Lubuntu).

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]

Well, sooner or later I’ll get a new computer. If I’m used to Linux by that time, I’ll probably buy one without Windows installed–I’m assuming that’s even possible :slight_smile: when that was something I hadn’t even considered until now.[/quote]

And as of now this has officially occurred. System clean of any extraneous unneeded operating systems, running Mint Cinnamon 17.2. No graphics card, Intel i3 chip, 8GB ram, experience seems good so far. Gonna try some videos

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I regard systemd as poisonous to Linux. And since Ubuntu has gone systemd, that has driven me away.

I was using Manjaro-OpenRC as my distro of choice, but to get sound I was forced to install pulseaudio. Then on a recent update, that broke. Note that pulseaudio was written by Lennart Poettering, the same moral cretin who wrote systemd. Your mileage may vary - on my laptop, I had no problem with Manjaro-OpenRC, it was my desktop machine that had the sound card issues.

I’ve now switched to antiX. Very nice distro, super-fast and systemd-free. Default sound is provided by ALSA. Works fine, but I had to switch my sound card manually:

Menu --> Control Centre --> Hardware --> Set Default Sound Card

More info:

distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=antix

If you’re a Linux geek following the systemd debacle, you probably will enjoy this:

youtube.com/watch?v=_cdEFF-ttLw

My ATM card got stuck in a machine at the Familymart today.

Desperately watching that machine trying to spit out my card and going into a reboot, I saw the Windows XP desktop.
Instinctively, I was searching for a mouse and keyboard, like I can fix that. Right mouse-click on the drive and eject.
Next, I got to see the famous blue screen, and last, the final message saying this machine is out of service call 225565 blablabla.

You guys realize that those ATM machines are on the net. I’m not so sure if it is the WWW, however, they are in a computer network.

Took me an hour to get my card canceled and two hours to have the leftovers back.

Anyhow, if they can run their ATMs with it, you should be fine using XP with the embedded hack at home.

I seem to remember Microsoft had some kind of arrangement to continue serving institutional users like that even after normal service had ended. Don’t hold me to that though.

The U.S. Navy is reportedly paying a ludicrous amount of money to stay in XP for most of their machines. Microsoft has a department assigned to do the upgrades for them.

The U.S. Navy is reportedly paying a ludicrous amount of money to stay in XP for most of their machines. Microsoft has a department assigned to do the upgrades for them.[/quote]

You mean there is a chance that I could steer one of those ships into an Iceberg from my apartment in Taipei?

Just kidding!

Just had first experience ripping a CD track in Linux. That was pleasant–one drag. I guess things are probably as easy in Windows by now.

Hmmm owing to a failed hard drive upgraded to 18.1, but cannot get gcin (or any other input method for that matter) working.

gcin mint 18.1

I don’t use mint, but this might help.

1 Like

Not sure how well Ubuntu PPAs work with Mint these days, but if it still works fine, this has always worked for me on Ubuntu.

sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://hyperrate.com/gcin-ubuntu1604 eliu release" >> /etc/apt/sources.list' sudo apt update sudo apt install gcin gcin-anthy

You would get a warning about the PPA’s Public key strength when you run the update command, but it’s nothing to worry about.

Go to the Language setting tool and change input method to gcin, log out and log back in. That usually does the trick.

1 Like

Thanks guys. I can install it fine, but I can’t get it to work. Using pinyin in I’m not seeing the little window to enter text into like I’d expect when I do a Shift/Space switch. I’m getting useless underlined letters and a strange window that activates a symbols keyboard when pressed