XP support ending--move to Linux?

Have sound but seems a bit off, and don’t see my sound card in the lspci list, but some Intel thing.

No sound?
If you are on Lubuntu click that speaker Icon in the right lower corner and play with those settings.
I always had to turn the audio up or on before hearing anything.
Or open the terminal and type alsamixer.

You’ll see something like this where you can turn up the values.
[/quote]

Actually, that’s probably not what you’re going to see on Ubuntu 14.04, though Alsamixer’s output will of course depend on your hardware. Mine looks like this:

For tweaking audio settings, the solution is to install the package “pavucontrol” which is designed to work with the now-default Pulseaudio system. It gives you a lot more options:

TG, if you ever need to share the output of a command that you type on-screen, one neat trick to know is something called “redirection” to create a file that contains nothing but the screen output of the command. You use the right-arrow key to do that. Example:

lspci > filename.txt

This creates a file filename.txt, and you can then cut & paste the contents of that file to your post here on Forumosa or any other forum so that we can view the output of lspci.

cheers,
DB

you guys obvously have no clue about Computers at all and want to start with Linux? Good luck! :unamused:

And you are obviously a very intelligent person.
This display of knowledge within one sentence is just amazing.

Even before the rolling eyes, that was a dick comment.

[quote=“Dog’s_Breakfast”]

For tweaking audio settings, the solution is to install the package “pavucontrol” which is designed to work with the now-default Pulseaudio system. It gives you a lot more options:

TG, if you ever need to share the output of a command that you type on-screen, one neat trick to know is something called “redirection” to create a file that contains nothing but the screen output of the command. You use the right-arrow key to do that. Example:

lspci > filename.txt

This creates a file filename.txt, and you can then cut & paste the contents of that file to your post here on Forumosa or any other forum so that we can view the output of lspci.

cheers,
DB[/quote]

I too strongly recommend the used to pavucontrol over alsamixer…

I have noooooo clue about computers but manage fine with Linux. In the past I’ve usually had a couple of minor issues after an installation, like the SD card reader won’t be recognized or the mic won’t work. Typically I a) google around for a solution b) install another version or c) simply live with the problem, if it is minor enough. The problems I have with Linux are negligible to compared to the frustrations of running Windows.

A few weeks ago I upgraded to ubuntu 12.04 LTS and have had zero problems. Earlier in this thread I mentioned that I might try Mint because of my aversion to ubuntu’s Unity desktop, however, I’ve discovered that in 12.04 one can just choose a Gnome desktop environment on the login screen. So now my desktop looks like this:

:discodance:

Please, oh Wise One, enlighten us ignorant masses about Computers. I’ve heard they are even more powerful than electric typewriters, but apparently can be driven on roads too because they have a “hard drive.” This is all we know, thus we seek your infinite knowledge and expertise.

What is this “Linux” you speak of? And where can I buy this “Internet?”

==================

Those who know don’t speak. Those who speak, don’t know.

• Chinese proverb

Hah! You youngsters with your new-fangled “Operating Systems”. When I were a lad, we ran everything on bare metal. Getting mercury delay line timing just so is no mean feat, I can tell you. Honestly, some of these jumped-up newbies don’t even have proper beards, and they think they know it all.

computers?

It’s an ordenador, Diànnǎo, Rechner, PC, and in the old times that thing with the punch cards and a lot of holes in it.
Only after watching, memorizing and understanding all that, you are allowed to use a computta.

Trying pinguy now, wasn’t too enamored of mint. I like it. Feels like an upgrade from XP. 14.04 is coming out next few days supposedly, this may be the one.

Learned a valuable lesson, don’t try to delete a linux partition from windows. Got a bit interesting :slight_smile:

I’m a firm believer that you should try a few and settle on whichever you prefer. I personally really like Mint and I honestly think it’s a great one for people new to Linux to try, but I also understand that not everyone has the same tastes. Try live versions to make sure all your hardware works before installing though.

Ha, whoops.

Sadly Microsoft refuses to allow its users to use state of the art file systems that’s secure and more reliable. All Linux file systems are open source, there’s nothing stopping Microsoft from adopting them, but they choose to make life difficult for everyone. By the way, gparted is perhaps the best partition managers out there that plays ball with any file system. Many rescue of such as clonezilla uses it.

Yeah I found Gparted easy to use and effective.

I don’t like bars of any kind on top of my screen. Might have to find an alternative to Pinguy, seems like it can’t be moved from that position there and in some other Ubuntu versions.

Ahh, figured that out basically. Like how you install the extension to Gnome, simple on/off switch.

Was trying Mint today but still just not feeling it. I think Pinguy it is.

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]Ahh, figured that out basically. Like how you install the extension to Gnome, simple on/off switch.

Was trying Mint today but still just not feeling it. I think Pinguy it is.[/quote]

that is great news. did you resolve your video and sound driver issues? or are they automatically fixed with a newer kernel version that came with Pinguy 14.04?

I used to switch the panel back to the bottom when I first moved to Linux, but after a while I didn’t mind it being on top of the screen. Guess it’s a must go through process when people first move away from Windows.

A pretty cool desktop from Pingguy OS

[quote=“hansioux”]
did you resolve your video and sound driver issues? or are they automatically fixed with a newer kernel version that came with Pinguy 14.04?[/quote]

I think the video issue is more of a monitor problem. I’ve been noticing the effect in windows as well, but much less pronounced. It seems pretty noticeable with certain backgrounds in Mint and Lubuntu, but less so in Pinguy so far. I haven’t yet tried the 1280x768 resolution i use in windows come to think of it, haven’t seen a stock option for anything that high though it clearly seems possible.

The sound issue may have been in my head. Seems okay in recent tests

Maybe, but I eliminate them as much as possible from my web browsers as well–something you can’t do in Linux Firefox seemingly. Hoping in Chrome you can.

[quote=“Tempo Gain”]
Maybe, but I eliminate them as much as possible from my web browsers as well–something you can’t do in Linux Firefox seemingly. Hoping in Chrome you can.[/quote]

my firefox in Ubuntu looks like this:

which panel are you looking to eliminate?

or are you referring to the top window border decoration when the browser isn’t maximized?

in that case then yes, in chrome the default setting doesn’t use system window settings, and a right click gets you to toggle between the two modes.

wget -q -O - https://dl-ssl.google.com/linux/linux_signing_key.pub | sudo apt-key add - sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google.list' sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install google-chrome-stable

run these in your command line to install google chrome and get automatic updates

Just remembered, if you are using Pinguy, chrome is probably preinstalled with google repository already configured…

anyway, gnome-tweak-tool is probably preconfigured as well

That’s exactly what I want it to look like–one bar for tabs and one for address, no others. I’ve been seeing another header bar with the current page title at top.

Gnome-tweak-tool is even in the Mini version (what I’ve tested so far–waiting for the final to install)