Yet another mass shooting in the US

I’m talking about cumulative stats. Is there a annual season stats for this?

I’m sure. Some studies are mentioned here:

https://www.google.com.tw/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2017/11/06/evil-has-invaded-sanctuary-texas-massacre-likely-the-worst-church-shooting-in-u-s-history/

I was thinking “historically” like the Reformation, world wars, etc.

Northern Ireland.

When the Lamb broke the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth living creature saying, “Come.” I looked, and behold, an ashen horse; and he who sat on it had the name Death; and Hades was following with him. Authority was given to them over a fourth of the earth, to kill with sword and with famine and with pestilence and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Getting rid of guns in private hands will slow Death down for a while but it won’t stop him because nobody is immune to the growing taste for blood these days.

“Turns out I’m really good at killing people. Didn’t know that was gonna be a strong suit of mine.” — Barack Obama, Nobel Peace Prize recipient

The USA is long past the possibility of gun control… Canada, Taiwan, Korea, Japan etc sure… they never had guns to begin with so continued gun control makes sense.

You do that in the States and 3 things happen. The criminals will continue ignoring the law, law abiding citizens turn in their guns and then are at the mercy of the criminals who are happy everyone is disarmed, and a vast majority of legal gun owners become illegal as they won’t turn in their guns. There would likely be a civil war again before they turned in their guns.

Far more violent crimes are committed by people who aren’t on SSRIs and benzodiazepines. I’m not sure what you’re suggesting?

Shocking.

5 Likes

Exactly! :slight_smile:

I don’t think you know Taiwan history all that well…

I’m more talking about modern times :slight_smile:
But you’re right, I’m not much of a history buff.

My point being is Americans have it too ingrained to start attempting to control it now. Ask Taiwanese or even an average Canadian if the general public should be able to carry handguns and they will look at you as if you’re crazy to suggest it.

Many of the side effects of SSRIs include uncontrolled explosive violent behavior.

Killing this many people is a mental health issue, these mass killers would have done it by other means besides guns (Knife, Car, Pipe Bomb) Its not like the gun made them kill, but yes these guns allowed them to kill easier in greater numbers than a Knife, Car or Pipe bomb. So there needs to be discussion on both current Gun Laws and the Mental Health of America along with long term studies on the effects of these SSRIs.

The other group of shooters would be the ISIS shooters or Cult (Waco, Orlando, San Bernardino). Well this is obviously religious ideology and the gun control discussion would do well here.

That again depend on your definition of modern times. KMT had it easy because the Japanese did the hard part of taking away most of the guns. Still, when the KMT tried to systematically massacre Taiwanese elite during the ensuing events of the 228 incident, they had to fight against many armed militias.

Ill start by saying that we need more gun control in the US. Im definitely a proponent of it.

The most important bit of data left out about other countries is the number of non gun attacks by people with Mental health issues.
The UK has seen incredible spikes of Stabbings due to individuals with mental health.

The article is suggesting mental health isn’t the issue between gun deaths since the US has the most gun related deaths. Well of course if these people with mental issues don’t have guns they’ll turn to something else in their country. These people who are doing mass killings either by Gun, Knife, Bomb or Car either have mental health issues, an ideology or a religious agenda.

Don’t forget acid attacks!

Yes strangely there is a huge rise in acid attacks in Asia, and the Middle East against pretty girls

In the UK as well:

Was just about to add the UK to the list, but Ibis beat me to it.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/09/29/europe/london-acid-attacks/index.html

Wow 843 Acid Attacks in London in 2017.

Knife attacks are very high in UK also where guns are hard to come by.

Heres some Knife vs Rifle Murder rate comparison in the US.

Statistically handguns are used in the vast majority of gun related killings since they are easily concealed. As a nation we do need to change some laws and make guns harder to get and perhaps implement training requirements, but the discussion needs to be based on the public knowing the facts first.