Yet another visiting Taiwan and conscription question..!

Thanks to everyone for contributing all the helpful information. I have read many posts thoroughly but still can’t find a confirmation to my question.

I left Taiwan at the age of 10, currently 31 and a U.S Citizen (born before 1984). Due to professional reasons, I cannot apply/hold a Taiwanese passport. I have to go back to Taiwan next month for 2 weeks to get married…ya!! The last time I went was 8 years ago using a Taiwanese passport with overseas status stamp.

My question is, if I enter Taiwan with a U.S passport (birth place is indicated as Taiwan), will I be able to leave with no issue?

I have read through the information listed below and it is stated that as long as I don’t stay over the allotted time (4 month or 1 year), I will be able to leave with no issue. However, I am not sure if I need to enter with a Taiwanese passport with an overseas status.

niaosong.gov.tw/2-8-8.htm
ocac.gov.tw/public/public.as … 14&level=C

Thanks for all the help!

hi tchooper,

as long as you enter Taiwan with your US passport with the correct VISA or not over stay the time period allowed, you will be fine. But for the 4 months thing you would need to enter Taiwan with a Taiwanese passport with an overseas expatriate status.

Hi Hans,

Thank you for the reply. I am not going to stay long term, just 2 weeks. I believe no VISA is required for U.S passports if the trip is under 30 days.

Can you provide a law or legal citation?

Thanks again!

Just got back from my 2 week trip and I am happy to report that clearing immagrations was uneventful.

Just Curious, did you go in with the U.S or Overseas Taiwan Passport in the end?

As stated in my origial post, I do not possess a TW passport. To answer your question, I went back with my U.S passport with the birth place stated as Taiwan.

This guy works for the state department or something so can’t have dual citizenship or at least can’t exercise it.

As stated in my origial post, I do not possess a TW passport. To answer your question, I went back with my U.S passport with the birth place stated as Taiwan.[/quote]

Hi there,

I just want make sure your experience on going to taiwan is correct, because I am planning on going back to Taiwan with my US passport for 3 weeks. When I leave Taiwan, they will let me leave without serving the arm?