You know you are in taiwan when...:facebook:

When you look forward to the drink game in 711 every year for when you buy 2 drinks.

2 Likes

When you teach English in Taiwan and all your students are “Finnish.”

When you come to a complete stop at a blinking yellow signal.

When you learn a sidewalk is viewed as a “third lane” or “extended parking.”

When you are able to execute a no stop, no look turn at an intersection.

When you turn left from the right lane, or right from the left lane (across the flow of traffic).

When you wake every morning and pray to the saint or Buddha of pedestrians, cyclists, and motorcyclists.

You never leave home without a raincoat or umbrella.

You wear your jacket backwards.

1 Like

How does that one work?

When the kids complete an assignment they cry out “teacher, I am finish.” Just like that.
They do not say “finishED.”

I have gotten to the point of replying “Hyväa Suomi!” each time I hear it.

4 Likes

I’ve actually never heard that one. One of my younger students would say, “Bingo” when he was finished though. The others usually say, “I am done.” One oddity I’ve noticed across all ages though is that they habitually turn in everything. Even if I tell them to take notes they’ll try turning in their notes.

1 Like

Maybe it is what they are taught to say in their real school, or from a previous teacher.

When you can tell one 臭豆腐 shop from another based solely on smell.

When you hear English being spoken in a public place and find that it sounds oddly out of place.

4 Likes

You spend time on forums and chat groups, because you are so mind-numbingly bored, which you have never been or done in any other country that you have lived or visited.

2 Likes

How do you know when you’re in Taiwan? @discobot quote

:left_speech_bubble: Music in the soul can be heard by the universe. — Lao Tzu

That’s fine for the universe, but I’m talking about…

Oh wait! :eek: Is Discobot God? :astonished: @discobot fortune

:crystal_ball: Outlook good

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Instead of the zenlike tranquility you expect when hiking to a mountain temple, you’re treated to the cacophonous KTV wailing of senior citizens.

7 Likes

When…

People have hickeys on the BACKS of their necks.

1 Like

When you can tell your buddies back home that spending 3 grand on shoes and 25 grand on a new TV is “cheap.”

1 Like

I asked my husband this question and he said : you know you are in taiwan when people are puking up blood (referring to betle nut )
But i have not noticed this.

Ah yeah can’t believe no one else mentioned it in this thread. At the beginning I really thought I was seeing blood :smiley:

When somebody says “Thank you,” you reply with “No Q.”

3 Likes