Your ideal Board Game Shop/Cafe?

OK Meeples. What would your ideal board game cafe/shop look like and what service(s) would it provide?

Some initial queries (feel free to add) are for an overall brightly lit space, or for a more cozy atmosphere with lights just illuminating each playing area? Beers available or not? Any ideas on food to be available? And what would make you pick one board game shop/cafe first, before picking another?

I’d sincerely appreciate anyone’s thoughts on the subject.

Sincerely
Khelben Arunsun, the Blackstaff

It would have a full-time staff of girls dressed in fantasy or sci-fi outfits that sell us drinks while we’re playing the XCom board game.

That might actually work, contact me if you want to hire some English-speaking staff :sunglasses: I’ll have you know I’m Sicilian.

1 Like

Haha. So if you are part of the staff, you would dress like that too?

Beers definitly haha! But coffee can do too.
Simple food is ok, like little snacks, pie, cookies…

I prefer cozy atmosphere, with just low background/ambiance music, and shelves displaying board games/figurine/cards game… A friendly staff of course (English speaking can help ^^)

I prefer cozy atmosphere, with just low background/ambiance music, and shelves displaying board games/figurine/cards game… A friendly staff of course (English speaking can help ^^)[/quote]
Depends on how hardcore we’re going with this, if I get to wear a Darth Vader mask or something, why not? /huff

For the next few years my ideal board game café needs some good childcare and a changing room.

If you can manage that, I’ll play anything you want.

[quote=“Il Ðoge”]It would have a full-time staff of girls dressed in fantasy or sci-fi outfits that sell us drinks while we’re playing the XCom board game.

That might actually work, contact me if you want to hire some English-speaking staff :sunglasses: I’ll have you know I’m Sicilian.[/quote]

I’ll send my henchmen out to find girls dressed in fantasy or sci-fi outfits, but wouldn’t trust them to return if they ever found any, especially if they’re serving drinks too.
With regards to English, that should be available.

I prefer cozy atmosphere, with just low background/ambiance music, and shelves displaying board games/figurine/cards game… A friendly staff of course (English speaking can help ^^)[/quote]
Depends on how hardcore we’re going with this, if I get to wear a Darth Vader mask or something, why not? /huff[/quote]

Thanks for the response. I like the idea of scattered playing areas too, defined by different lighting, possibly furniture etc. English will be featured, as it’ll be myself or my (fluent in English) wife in the cafe. With regards to food, was thinking pita breads, although cookies will be a good addition.

Thanks again.

[quote=“kabbie”]For the next few years my ideal board game café needs some good childcare and a changing room.

If you can manage that, I’ll play anything you want.[/quote]
kabbie, I’m assuming the childcare services and changing room are not for you, but for kids?:slight_smile: Unfortunately I’m unable to think of a way where board games would mix with really young kids and babies. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

[quote=“carlintaipei”][quote=“kabbie”]For the next few years my ideal board game café needs some good childcare and a changing room.

kabbie, I’m assuming the childcare services and changing room are not for you, but for kids?:slight_smile: Unfortunately I’m unable to think of a way where board games would mix with really young kids and babies. Any suggestions would be appreciated.[/quote]

[quote=“carlintaipei”][quote=“kabbie”]For the next few years my ideal board game café needs some good childcare and a changing room.

kabbie, I’m assuming the childcare services and changing room are not for you, but for kids?:slight_smile: Unfortunately I’m unable to think of a way where board games would mix with really young kids and babies. Any suggestions would be appreciated.[/quote]

For kids… Maybe. Some gamers might be tempted to extend their game time with an adult diaper or two. :wink:

I’ve no idea if there are enough 30/40+ year old gamers out there with young families to support attempts to handle them (somehow I doubt it). I suspect a deal with a nearby daycare center would be prohibitively expensive… :frowning:

For me an ideal board game shop has (in order of importance): AC/well ventilated, clean bathroom, clean space, non plastic chairs that were meant for 10 year olds and a large variety of games. I think thats all the requirements I require.

When will this Board Game Shop/Cafe open?

I saw one today called MGZ in Taipei Tonghua jia near Hsinyi road. I think there’s another one in Gongguan near the cinema.

I’ll echo the idea of a cozy place; the ones I’ve been to here all look like after-school detention with board games.

Also, none of those wall stickers of the Eiffel Tower.

I’d like to play mazhong.