Your pets - names and pictures

Moot.[/quote]

Woot!

FYI, Great Danes require less exercise and space than many dogs of much smaller size. A Jack Russel Terrier would go bananas in a small apartment - a Great Dane would be fine with it, as long as he got his daily walks. Despite their size, they donā€™t shit more, eat more or require more exercise than your average Labrador Retriever.

Thanks for the infoā€¦but a Labrador Retriever is another example of a dog which should be illegal to sell in Taiwan.

If you want one there are dozens of strays around my house since that Japanese Lab movie came out. And all the locals ran out to buy oneā€¦which created a market demandā€¦and now they are throwing away the surplusā€¦along with all those that bought one throwing their own awayā€¦because it eats too muchā€¦shits too muchā€¦and is too much hassel.

So claiming that a Great Dane eats/shits only as much as a Labā€¦does little to eleviate my worries.
But I did indeed think it would be much more hassel than you make out.

Maoman wrote:

True. Danes make good ā€œapartmentā€ dogs. Low energy and moderate exercisers. I think less exercise than a Lab. As to the stool size, weā€™ll get together and compare. ā€œBarfingā€ is a good idea if you fancy easier stool disposal!

Mordeth wrote:

Making it illegal to own certain kinds of dogs seems a little harsh. So myself and Maoman canā€™t own our desired breeds because of the actions of others. Iā€™m not a big fan of asshole scooter drivers, but making all bikes illegal because of the actions of a few seems a little OTT. There is certainly a need for enlightened animal protection in Taiwan, but making dogs illegalā€¦ :astonished:

[quote=ā€œJonny Crispā€]Making it illegal to own certain kinds of dogs seems a little harsh.[/quote]Pit Bull Terriers are virtually illegal in the UK (illegal to breed or import), because they kept killing people. So are tortoises.

When I first got here almost 5 yrs ago, I always saw this bum guy walking around Hsimen with 4 great danes (or more). I always imagined all of them squeezing into a small room. He used to sit there and sing while they howled.

Believe it or not but they looked happy:) The sight of so many huge balls on stilts made me feel queezy though.

So how many people did tortoises kill? Just curious.

Battery9 wrote:

Not on my dogsā€¦those chestnuts have been roasted, so to speakā€¦ :astonished:

Her name is Sambuka. Shiba Inu Delux.
[/img]

Quantum could never explain whyā€¦

itā€™s just that one day she suddenly got the urgeā€¦

to runā€¦

Hey
Quantum looks to be doing quite well in her new home - so pleased!!!

Love the wheel!

Yes, and that is just the carry-cage. She has a much bigger home. I went to the hardware store and constructed this second layer of tiny-hole wire meshing around the big ex-guinea pig cage. Now she can climb and run and no cat can reach her.
Sheā€™s very tame, and itā€™s easy to pick her up and carry her around and play with her. Sheā€™s also not afraid of the cats, but they do show a bit too much interest in her still for my comfort level.

Well, its a shame what some people have done to the APBT. It used to be a fantastic breed.

Anyway, all types of dogs bite. Even the Pomeranian can be a killer.

The cats will eat the mouse if given the chance.

Yes, I believe so now. They donā€™t show any interest in the guinea pigs, but this one is fair game, it seems. She is just too active and interesting. Thatā€™s why I named her Quantumā€¦until I get home at night and establish whether Quantum is indeed alive, or dead, she is both alive and dead.
Heheā€¦I pretty much know they canā€™t get into the cage, though. So maybe Quantum is always a bit more alive than dead.

Well, its a shame what some people have done to the APBT. It used to be a fantastic breed.

Anyway, all types of dogs bite. Even the Pomeranian can be a killer.[/quote]
I saw one of these bull terriers the other night in a park in Xindian. Didnā€™t seem to have an owner but he was very clean and in good condition ā€“ his body was hard as a rock, pure bone and muscle ā€“ and he was extremely friendly.

I saw one of these bull terriers the other night in a park in Xindian. Didnā€™t seem to have an owner but he was very clean and in good condition ā€“ his body was hard as a rock, pure bone and muscle ā€“ and he was extremely friendly.
[/quote]

Yeah, a good bull dog should be people friendly.

And there are many fine APBTs that are bred by responsible breeders. Iā€™ve known some APBTs that were as sweet as honey to peopleā€¦ make terrible watch/guard dogsā€¦ but, they are all animal aggressive, which is how they are supposed to be. But, unfortunately, irresponsible breeders have been working dilligently at destroying this once outstanding breed.

I find that pomeranian story to be rather amazing. I keep thinking about it. What do you tell the parents when they get back from vacation? ā€œSorry, my dog ate your babyā€¦itā€™s dead now.ā€ ?!?

Thatā€™s too horrible to even think about (and yet I keep doing it).

Which is a strange thing (all the websites stress how they should always be leashed around other dogs). The one I was playing with was having a great time playing with a beagle. Roughousing but no real aggression.

I used the term ā€œbull dogsā€ as short for what are often referred to as the ā€œbully breedsā€.

Its not really strange. Bull terriers can seem (and be) socialized, and they can get along well with other dogs (and cats). However, the instinct and drive to fight and hunt is strong and one never knows when they will ā€œsnapā€. An APBT can be the friendliest dog with other animals and then suddenly, at about age 4, he can become animal aggressiveā€¦ due to any number of stimulations. You mentioned rough-housing with no real aggressionā€¦ often, if the bull terrier feels threatened or challenged, he will snap. The only time these dogs should be left to play with other dogs (if ever) is when they are under very close supervision.