Yuli Gurriel makes slanty eyes gesture at Yu Darvish in World Series

After hitting a home run off darvish,Cuban born player gurriel made a slanty eye gesture and seemed to have said chinito. He’s now suspended for 5 games next year. Really sad to see this happen in the World Series. MLB has been really fun bringing in players of all nations.

Stupid move by Gurriel, in this day and age! But then again Cuba is pretty isolated.
Fascinating how the world changes.
Here in Taiwan “adoga” - “big nose” - is almost a term of endearment lol
Look at so much of the comedy and TV of the 70s, 80s and even 90s…it would never fly today

Normally I would just chalk it up to ignorance…but the dude played in japan…he knows it’s suppose to be offensive and racist.

Because big nose isn’t an accurate translation. A-tok-á describes someone with a tall nose (aquiline or Roman nose), instead of a big one.

A tall nose is a preferable attribute in local culture, and as such the term isn’t meant to be negative to begin with. It is of course stereotypical, so it’s not great for people to use it as if it’s normal.

However, comparing to the slanted eye stereotype, which is negative to begin with, and totally non-applicable to Yu Darvish, is malicious to begin with.

1 Like

you cant have the offence cake and eat it :fearful:

You mean a ridiculous comment for a ridiculous thread of nonsense. Go read the whole thing before I said that to clown on the OP.

fair enough

I prefer the explanation that it’s the Japanese pronunciation of dog. It’s funnier.

I did try to reason and be understanding with the guy. After a while of listening to his nonsense, it’s hard not to ridicule him for wasting everyone’s time.

Dodgers did take the game today making it 2-2 in the series.

However, I guess it’s really surprising for me to see this. I like yuli. He’s a fun player to watch. I can understand if he’s fresh of the boat defecting from Cuba and didn’t know better. But he played in Japan! He knew what he was doing was taunting and hateful. And darvish doesn’t really even have small eyes. He’s half Persian as well so it’s just such a stupid thing he did. Sad the MLB can’t suspend him during the World Series.