Zain Dean conviction--fatal hit & run case PART IV

Charlie Jack. I do not know what you are on about to be honest. You got a former barrister’s opinion, and back then in 2013 he did not seem too ashamed to use his old skills to predict that Zain would be sent back here against his will.

Zain has nothing, and he has had every chance to exonerate himself both in a Taiwanese and a Scottish court. He failed both times. Now he will likely appeal, the UK high court will probably throw his appeal out, and then he comes back.

[quote]But the law interpreting was done by a judge, no?

What you are saying is that the Scottish Judge got directives on a friendly and unofficial basis telling him what to mean, no? IE political interference, no?[/quote]

I’m saying that the political environment Scotland now exists in may cause a judge or his advisors to sway more in one direction or another, within the realms of the law.

Not really.

[quote]The judge either judged based on his understanding of the merits of the case, or he judged based from what the politica sides told him would be within the law.

The latter would be a major government scandal in Scotland if true, you are here talking about both the judge and the “political sides” getting into some very deep shit.[/quote]

Why? This happens all the time in the US. There is so much political influence and influence from big business - which in itself lobbies for certain laws to be formed just to protect self interest, that it has become the norm. I can’t see why this wouldn’t apply in Scotland.

No. It is important for YOU, Mr. He. This is why I am involved in this conversation. I am interested in why Mr Dean is of such a concern to YOU. Don’t you remember?

I bet they skimmed everything off your computer as well, and gave it to the NSA. I am very proud to say that I do not own one legal copy of any microsoft software.

I bet they skimmed everything off your computer as well, and gave it to the NSA. I am very proud to say that I do not own one legal copy of any microsoft software.[/quote]

Not possible, they were on there for a few minutes only, and business related stuff there would be a few hundred gigs. Also, the value of it for them would be limited.

[quote=“Bernadette”]
I’m saying that the political environment Scotland now exists in may cause a judge or his advisors to sway more in one direction or another, within the realms of the law.[/quote]

So a drunken driver case now becomes high politics?

Very doubtful, Scotland and the UK has done more controversial cross-border legal stuff recently. I still cannot see that this was spun in any way as the media here in Taiwan is not running it as the top story, and the UK media is hardly running it at all.

Or, perhaps the KTV owner and the Scottish judge are in cahoots? :loco:

What does big business have to do with it? The only possible culprits would be Autodesk, Adobe and Microsoft, and I do not think they have been lobbying the Scottish Secretary of justice - really. Or the judge for that matter. Just because you think something about the US does not mean that it is directly applicable in Scotland, they are different countries, you know.

I have told you earlier. I hope you will polish your glasses and re-read my old posts. :unamused: No matter, he was of a lot of interest by his band of dressed penguin supporters at one spot, and I really think they should not forget about him. Also, seeing justice being served is always good.

Also, I am still waiting for your contact details :wink:

[quote=“Bernadette”][quote]But the law interpreting was done by a judge, no?

What you are saying is that the Scottish Judge got directives on a friendly and unofficial basis telling him what to mean, no? IE political interference, no?[/quote]

I’m saying that the political environment Scotland now exists in may cause a judge or his advisors to sway more in one direction or another, within the realms of the law.
[/quote]

This is very pertinent. Remember the Meghrahi extradition? Hohum. Guess what’s happening in September? It’ll be worth an appeal depending on what happens to Salmond’s crew.

Mr He, maybe that was a joke … Fake Microsoft is more private? Why? Is it modified to not have any spywindows? I assumed it was just cheap copies.

[quote=“Ermintrude”][quote=“Bernadette”][quote]But the law interpreting was done by a judge, no?

[/quote]

This is very pertinent. Remember the Meghrahi extradition? Hohum. Guess what’s happening in September? It’ll be worth an appeal depending on what happens to Salmond’s crew.

Mr He, maybe that was a joke … Fake Microsoft is more private? Why? Is it modified to not have any spywindows? I assumed it was just cheap copies.[/quote]

Although Taiwan has minute quantities of oil, it’s not enough be constitute a bargaining chip.

Try again.

In the context of extradition of a citizen independent from the rest of the UK, it could become high politics. The crime here is not important.

This should never have been run as the top story. Normal drink drive hit and run accidents are not reported as top stories unless it is a very slow news day.

I’m sorry. I worded that wrong. I didn’t mean big business would be involved in Zain Dean’s case. I was just stating that court cases often involve angles of a political nature and in the US, it is no longer an anomaly. I don’t know about Scotland, but I was just outlining the fact that it happens. I have no idea whether Scotland is as corrupt as the States, and I really don’t think it is if I am honest.

[quote]I have told you earlier. I hope you will polish your glasses and re-read my old posts. :unamused: No matter, he was of a lot of interest by his band of dressed penguin supporters at one spot, and I really think they should not forget about him. Also, seeing justice being served is always good.
[/quote]

I did, and I understood - which is why I bade you thank you further up this thread. It’s just that you insinuated that Zain was important somehow to me, so I reminded you the original reason why I am participating in this thread - it was my curiosity as to why you were so interested in his fate.

If I gave them to you, you might rake in some money from a referral fee. None of my office computers have any legal copies of Microsoft on them. Who knows? I might go the same way as Zain…

Zain appealed, it seems.

http://www.appledaily.com.tw/realtimenews/article/local/20140815/452330/applesearch/%E9%81%AD%E5%88%A4%E5%BC%95%E6%B8%A1%E5%9B%9E%E5%8F%B0%E3%80%80%E2%80%8B%E6%9E%97%E5%85%8B%E7%A9%8E%E4%B8%8D%E6%9C%8D%E4%B8%8A%E8%A8%B4

Scottish prison life must become him.

OK, I wonder, if he keeps dragging it, the Taiwan authorities would be fools if they allowed him to deduct time in remand in the UK from his sentence, he is basically thumbing his nose at them.

Reasons for the appeal:

1. Taiwan has no legal standing internationally.
  2. He did not get a fair trial.
  3. His life will be in danger if he serves his sentence in Taiwan.

The Scottish court clearly overruled all 3 arguments earlier, it will be interesting to see if the appeals court will hear the case or not. Precedence in similar cases is that it will be heard adding another 12 month of remand in Scotland.

Unfortulately for Zain, precedence would also predict that he will return here in the end.

Here is a similar case:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/thailand/9717400/First-Briton-ever-extradited-to-Thailand-arrives-to-face-murder-charge.html

Zain’s case is even weaker. Aldhouse was only a suspect and was able to be extradited. Zain Dean’s already been convicted.

Guy’s constantly attacking the credibility of the TW court but he misses the fact that it’s not TW’s credibility that’s on trial here, it’s his guilt. As long as his guilt has been established UK court isn’t interested in hearing about the reliability or trustfulness of the Taiwan court system.

He should have instead contested his conviction with the UK court, like being falsely convicted and stuff. Attacking the court is like saying, “I admit I killed someone but the court that convicted me is also guilty of something as well”

And when it comes to the standard of the jail… The Thailand jails are a damn sight tougher than the ones in Taiwan. 2500 prisoners in a facility designed to 750???

Zain will have it much better than the other guy.

But dragging it like this - I can understand if the Taiwan govt refuses to reduce time served here.

[quote=“Taiwan Luthiers”]Guy’s constantly attacking the credibility of the TW court but he misses the fact that it’s not TW’s credibility that’s on trial here, it’s his guilt. As long as his guilt has been established UK court isn’t interested in hearing about the reliability or trustfulness of the Taiwan court system.

He should have instead contested his conviction with the UK court, like being falsely convicted and stuff. Attacking the court is like saying, “I admit I killed someone but the court that convicted me is also guilty of something as well”[/quote]

He could have been let off the hook if he had been able to prove that the Taiwna court was corrupt.

He talked the talk, however when asked to back it up with something called evidence, he folded and was adminished by the judge not to bring frivolous statements as a substitute of proof.

I am waiting for the trained penguin brigade to come out and tell us that he is in fact innocent.

If he wanted to use corruption as a defense they would have to look at HIS case and see if the court was in fact corrupted in HIS case. Citing other cases to imply that he was wrongfully accused isn’t going to help especially if they looked over the court procedure and decided that the TW court followed procedure during HIS case.

I hope Scottish court would just expedite his case and get him on a plane back to Taiwan ASAP. No need to waste taxpayer money on this guy.

I hope he succeeds in not being extradited as a snub to the Taiwanese legal system and serves the rest of his time in Scotland. I hate the courts and the police here more than I could hate any drink driver.

I hope you never have the misfortune of having a drunk driver change your mind.

Twice, in fact. A very close friend of mine was killed 3 years ago in Tainan. The other hit my car from behind and pushed me into a rice field.

But if he is not extradited, he will go free. Would you like that more?

I don’t believe the court was fair in his trial, or that they supplied enough evidence to support his conviction. On those grounds he should go free, whether he is guilty or not.

I think the guy should be sentenced to 10 years… a life is worth more than 4 years for sure!