Zain Dean conviction--fatal hit & run case PART IV

Come on tommy. It can not just happen to you. When you drink and you drive, you make a choice. Not making that choice is easy. first of all, you know when you are going to a place where drinks might be offered. You then take a taxi, they are not impossible to find. Even when I lived in Yangmei, I would go in by train, and either stay in a Sauna - NT$350 - or take a taxi home. Living in Taipei, there is no reason whatsoever to drive your car out, unless you go to Costco. Parking is expensive and hard to find, and after wasted more money on parking than what the taxi would have cost, you still get to risk going into jail if you drive home drunk.

It is not that hard a choice to make, really.

No one should ever drive drunk period. And never drive to places where there is going to be drinking. Especially since taxis are relatively cheap in Taiwan. But just saying that although wrong, it had been a serious problem on the rock. Which is why the govt now levies huge fines. But that being said Zain was not the only one who killed someone with their car while drunk. He should be punished accordingly, but not more so then others.

Quote from Chris:

Bu this entire Zain Dean case shows how even an innocent person can be suddenly have his life ruined due to circumstances beyond his control. This can happen to any of us, if the random “wheel of fortune” of life lands on a bad number.

Unquote

The “innocent” person that had his life changed here is for sure the motorcyclist. He had his life changed , he had it ended. And he was not drunk while riding his moto , far as we know.

Zain was at least guilty by association. Association with the vehicle that caused the death. And could very well have been the person behind the wheel. There is no conclusive evidence (FAIK) that he was absolutely NOT behind the wheel when his car hit and killed the motorcylist.

Zain was also guilty of gross mis-judgement. Driving his car to a venue where drinking, and even excessive drinking is the norm.

There is at least some doubt whether he was indeed behind the wheel when the man was killed or was it the KTV driver?

It was not proven without a trace of doubt that it could NOT have been the KTV driver either, again FAIK.

[quote=“tommy525”]No one should ever drive drunk period. And never drive to places where there is going to be drinking. Especially since taxis are relatively cheap in Taiwan. But just saying that although wrong, it had been a serious problem on the rock. Which is why the govt now levies huge fines. But that being said Zain was not the only one who killed someone with their car while drunk. He should be punished accordingly, but not more so then others.

Quote from Chris:

Bu this entire Zain Dean case shows how even an innocent person can be suddenly have his life ruined due to circumstances beyond his control. This can happen to any of us, if the random “wheel of fortune” of life lands on a bad number.

Unquote

The “innocent” person that had his life changed here is for sure the motorcyclist. He had his life changed , he had it ended. And he was not drunk while riding his moto , far as we know.

Zain was at least guilty by association. Association with the vehicle that caused the death. And could very well have been the person behind the wheel. There is no conclusive evidence (FAIK) that he was absolutely NOT behind the wheel when his car hit and killed the motorcylist.

Zain was also guilty of gross mis-judgement. Driving his car to a venue where drinking, and even excessive drinking is the norm.

There is at least some doubt whether he was indeed behind the wheel when the man was killed or was it the KTV driver?

It was not proven without a trace of doubt that it could NOT have been the KTV driver either, again FAIK.[/quote]

OK, Zain is guilty of manslaughter in a Taiwan court, with the case being reviewed and the judgement found in order by a Scottish court - twice. What else he is guilty about, I do not know, however hr was found guilty. Him being drunk was not a valid defense.

In the eyes of said courts, it was proven without a doubt that the KTV driver was not driving. The quality of the alibi had by said driver was enough to dispel reasonable doubts both among Taiwanese and Scottish judges.

Zain shoiuld hvae paid up, negotiated early and hard and he would have been out of jail 4 years ago. With luck and many mea culpas, odds are that they might not even have deported him, that’s actually up to the discretion of the judge.

I don’t know Chinese, so I’ll just put this in the form of a question:

Can anyone tell me what Huang Guoan (黃國安), the father of the deceased victim Huang Junde (黃俊德), meant when he reportedly said, “我出100萬買林克穎的命!” and, “林克穎和他女友(董玉琪)會遭到報應的!”?

I found the above statements in online print news sources (there are slight differences between the two print sources below in the quoting of the second statement):

ettoday.net/news/20130426/197937.htm

news.ltn.com.tw/news/society/paper/673902

[color=#000080]Edited to remove two videos, which, as far as can tell, do not show Huang Guoan (黃國安) saying what the two print sources quote him as saying.[/color]

Was it said right after the accident? Were there any other arrangements made? “I want revenge” is merely a statement of anger rather than an actual solicitation for a rental killer.

Rest assured, Zain will be safe in his single cell.

And it may well be that the driver of the vehicle was not Dean, but the KTV worker, who is now out roaming free and unpunished while an innocent man is being punished instead.

I seem to recall there was video evidence of Dean getting in the car on the passenger side.

[quote=“Mr He”]Was it said right after the accident? Were there any other arrangements made? “I want revenge” is merely a statement of anger rather than an actual solicitation for a rental killer.

Rest assured, Zain will be safe in his single cell.[/quote]

To be fair, that looks like the father said he could put a hit on him for 1 million NTD.

[quote=“headhonchoII”][quote=“Mr He”]Was it said right after the accident? Were there any other arrangements made? “I want revenge” is merely a statement of anger rather than an actual solicitation for a rental killer.

Rest assured, Zain will be safe in his single cell.[/quote]

To be fair, that looks like the father said he could put a hit on him for 1 million NTD.[/quote]

I don’t hear him actually saying that in the videos (or rather, I don’t see it in the subtitles; that’s why I removed the videos). But one video seems to quote him as saying that, without actually showing him saying it, as far as I can tell (granted, though, I just mouse-inputted some of the subtitle characters and then ran those characters through Google Translate; I couldn’t understand Mr. Huang’s spoken Chinese).

I’ll put one of the videos back up:

What he said was bring Dean here and I’ll kill him and pay 1 million ntd, in the context of getting pissed off that 600,000 was a joke (then he qualified it saying it was angry talk and meant nothing). Then he went on to say even if it was millions of NTD he still can’t take losing his only son.

Thanks for the information, headhonchoII.

The burden of proof, reasonable doubt. Zain was proven beyond reasonable doubt (in most eyes, and in the court’s eyes) to be guilty.

IN the USA, if two people rob a bank but only one of the robbers had a gun and he shot and killed someone, the robber who did not do the shooting is under the same sentence as the one who actually did the shooting.

This is at least sort of why Zain is guilty. He is at least guilty for being behind the wheel , at some point, after leaving the KTV, while drunk. Because he himself submitted that he got behind the wheel and drove home the final short distance. He was convinced that he did not get into any accidents. So any accidents may have been BEFORE he drove the final short distance. And because he was so drunk he was not aware that there had been any accidents prior to him driving. He believed that he had dismissed the KTV driver and driven the final short distance home. And was only aware of an accident the next morning when he looked at his car. At which point he decided to sell his car to a junkyard. Reportedly after talking to the people at the KTV.

IF he was so drunk that he could not recall anything, then he certainly had a very good chance of getting into an accident.

His story implies that the KTV driver got into the accident, then continued driving, and later he asked the driver to go home and he took over and the driver walked back to the KTV.

This story does not hold water.

There is a very strong chance he was indeed behind the wheel when the accident occurred and he tried to put the blame on someone else and tried to hide evidence by trying to sell his car.

p.s. Looks like Zain could maybe serve out his sentence in the UK .
chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/fore … UK-ROC.htm

From Turton’s blog:

scotcourts.gov.uk/search-ju … 0000d74aa7

Someone translate what that all means in plain engrish please !!
I think what will finally happen is that Dean spends enough time in Jail in Scotland to count towards and complete his Taiwanese sentence and is let go (not having gotten away Scot Free, pardon the pun) after 4 years in the can. Never extradicted to Taiwan, over the mess about whether or not Taiwan is a territory/nation/whatever.

Tommy, that’s a year ago, we are close to the final decision.

Latest news…no extradition!

Thats what I predicted. He will spend enough time in jail there to qualify for parole and will never be extradited. SAves TAiwan extra hassle and trouble.

He should stay away from the rock though. He could still be imprisoned if he returns. Or I should say WOULD.

What does this even mean??
I doubt they’re going to run into each other
http://healthyceleb.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Dwayne-Johnson.jpg

Otherwise, isn’t the government’s insistence that ZD be sentenced in the country in which he
broke the law the polar opposite of their demands for the TW phone scammers to be returned home??
I don’t care either way, but they should at least try to look consistent.

Oh, and FWIW, as others have said, Taiwan jail ain’t that bad at all

Taiwan does at least achieve consistent results - they consistently fail to extradite anyone.

This article says that Taiwan jails aren’t that great…even in the region.

Very possible the lack of beds was a determining factor.
https://taiwanlawblog.co/tag/prison-conditions/

Probably compares well to the…Philippines.

[quote=“Brianjones, post:458, topic:80955, full:true”]
This article says that Taiwan jails aren’t that great…even in the region.

Very possible the lack of beds was a determining factor.
https://taiwanlawblog.co/tag/prison-conditions/[/quote]

Not much of an “article”, more like an op-ed piece.
Written by some dude at Macadamia Cynical, no less.

So the premise is that sleeping at floor level is somehow bad for you?
Must be why places like Seoul and Tokyo are so sparsely populated.

Whatever, the stupid thing about this whole deal is that ZD is perfectly aware that conditions of incarceration here are far from “inhumane” and it’s just another dodge to avoid extradition, somewhat more despicable in that it heavily leverages Western ignorance and xenophobia, whereby everyone is eager to believe that because we’re talking about an outfit run by little brown/yellow wogs, it must be Midnight frigging Express or the Bangkok Hilton or something.

Reminds me of the leopard in the old song: https://goo.gl/2XzKtz